Turntables

Options

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I started with a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with a Ortofon red MM cartridge and really liked it.
    I upgraded to a Project 2Xperience classic with a Sumiko Blue Point #2 Cartridge which is a high MC cart.

now it is available in the SgPRO-JECT - 2Xperience SB Sgt. Pepper's - Beatles Special Edition Turntable
    ib9vi11oofqd.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,036
    Options
    I am drolly amused by the fact that the turntable industry's cribbing some notes from the "1960s third-grade lunchbox" industry ;)

mva02hwj6087.png
    o9xl4tumlckx.png
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am drolly amused by the fact that the turntable industry's cribbing some notes from the "1960s third-grade lunchbox" industry ;)

mva02hwj6087.png
    o9xl4tumlckx.png

I had a chance to see both the sgt peppers and George Harrison tables. They were both very nice.

Actually considering getting one as a secondary table. Something about Beatles stuff seems to open my wallet.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

Actually considering getting one as a secondary table. Something about Beatles stuff seems to open my wallet.

Yeah, I (still) have that problem, too...

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options

Yeah, I (still) have that problem, too...

Man, you guys must be old :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    So old that there was a gofundme page for "dirt" on-line when I was borned...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't think I would buy a Beatles rekkid playa, tho...

although I did find a Michael Jackson "Thriller" rekkid playa at the Harvard (MA) town dump years back... I was thinkin' about grabbing it, since it must have collectors value... but I demurred. At least I think I did. Maybe I should check the basement again...
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options

although I did find a Michael Jackson "Thriller" rekkid playa at the Harvard (MA) town dump years back... I was thinkin' about grabbing it, since it must have collectors value... but I demurred. At least I think I did. Maybe I should check the basement again...

Understood. I would have never even considered it but since I already have a VPI Prime and the wife wants something she can use I thought this would be a good compromise. Not that its a great table but it sure is cool as hell.

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Understood. I would have never even considered it but since I already have a VPI Prime and the wife wants something she can use I thought this would be a good compromise. Not that its a great table but it sure is cool as hell.

That's a good reason!

I don't think my wife wants her own turntable (although she did have one, an SL-D2 when she was in grad school. Actually, a series of three of them; but that's another story for another day ;)

She certainly wouldn't like to use the one I am now rockin' upstairs -- it has no damped cue on the arm :/

35993349896_36ea634cf3_b.jpgDSC_8876 (4) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I have a Michael Jackson "Beat It" T-Shirt that I'll sell for a "reasonable" stipend.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Here's a question, what about clamps vs weight? The PLX-1000 doesn't have a threaded spindle, so, is there a clamp that will work well (besides The Clamp that just sold in the flea market), can I change the spindle, or, is a weight good enough? If weight, what amount of weight should I be looking for?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • kharp1
    Options
    I looked at the RPM 9.2 on sale from AA, but, ended up with a Pioneer PLX-1000 with a Denon 110 cart for the grand total of 8 bills. Decided on going with a DD tabe built like a tank for my first table and seeing how that goes.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    I like DD's, but I found them to be quite a handful.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Here's a question, what about clamps vs weight? The PLX-1000 doesn't have a threaded spindle, so, is there a clamp that will work well (besides The Clamp that just sold in the flea market), can I change the spindle, or, is a weight good enough? If weight, what amount of weight should I be looking for?

You can use a weight or a clamp with this. I find that a center weight with outer ring is the absolute best at flattening warped vinyl as well as making the most sound improvement. The thing is though an outer ring will more than likely not fit the PLX-1000 though to the power/switch that sticks up at or above the level of the top of the Platter. This is also true of the Technics 1200. Also I don't like to put a lot of weight on a direct drive table due to undue wear on the bearing and the breaking mechanism. I unfortunately caused the demise of a very high end vintage direct drive table by doing this. Where I'm going with all this is a good clamp like the Clearaudio Twister is recommended for a direct drive table like your Pioneer. Center weights can sound very good on your table too, but make sure you use one under 1.5 lbs.
  • kharp1
    Options
    Thanks @Dawgfish I appreciate the info. I ordered the Clearaudio Twister. My understanding is this table has a pretty flexible braking range. I'm looking forward to getting it in house and getting some hands on experience with it.
  • mhardy6647
    Options

How so?

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options

How so?

Oh common...!!!

More than a mouthful is a waste... :#:o
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

How so?

In context....If you had hands like shack, they'd be AA's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dawgfish
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Thanks @Dawgfish I appreciate the info. I ordered the Clearaudio Twister. My understanding is this table has a pretty flexible braking range. I'm looking forward to getting it in house and getting some hands on experience with it.

You're welcome! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of everything!
  • gadawgsrule
    Options
    7x89j8it9whf.jpg

Triumph commissioned Rega to make 2 of these to spotlight their new café racer and are giving them away on facebook or twitter.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    7x89j8it9whf.jpg

Triumph commissioned Rega to make 2 of these to spotlight their new café racer and are giving them away on facebook or twitter.

Hope they didn't have Lucas do the wiring!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    ^^^^^^^
    All hail the Prince of Darkness :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    7x89j8it9whf.jpg

:) Indeed.

Stock up now:

frfpty4d7tnk.png

All this being said -- I've gotta say, I like the aesthetic of that tt (even though I knocked the "Beatles lunch box" tts earlier on).

7x89j8it9whf.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I mean, it ain't a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, but still...

• Dawgfish
    Options
    7x89j8it9whf.jpg

Nice handle! Go Dawgs!
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    7x89j8it9whf.jpg

:) Indeed.

Stock up now:

frfpty4d7tnk.png

All this being said -- I've gotta say, I like the aesthetic of that tt (even though I knocked the "Beatles lunch box" tts earlier on).

7x89j8it9whf.jpg

HUH, and all this time I thought the SMOKE I'd see from under the hood of my Lotus was a standard fare, not added for effect. LOL.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That's right -- when Lucas ("Prince of Darkness") made the electronics, the smoke was a feature (in the most Microsoft-ish sense of the term imaginable).
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    It really wasn't Lucas fault per say. It all comes down to, you get what you pay for. I knew someone that work for Triumph. He was one of the factory reps for Triumph Motorcycle Ltd in the US during the 70's. He said the manufacturer would give Lucas a cost per unit and "say offer what you can at this price", no more, and if you can make it for less do so.

Lucas was at that time and still is a premier manufacturer of electrical components. But you want junk, they will fix you up too.....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.