Turntables

Options

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    A little Lenco action with four real live percussionists and Hollis's nasally vocals.

https://youtu.be/WLaGoC2A2tE
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Mhardy: Not sure why that portion of the DL160 manual didn't come through with my post up above.

The vagaries of the internet :/

Thanks for digging that out -- of course, had I a wee tad more gumption, I coulda looked it up at: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/denon/dl-160.shtml

:)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    zjnn1d1jge2u.png

explicitly says (>) 47k is A-OK :)

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    My Lenco with linear air bearing arm at warp speed...

https://youtu.be/YYD9CIWJELc

That vinyl is so warp that the cart would not even able to track it unless it's on shocks.

Nice video and I am surprised that warp of a record is still playable.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »

That vinyl is so warp that the cart would not even able to track it unless it's on shocks.

No damping at all. Just air bearing. I have a damping trough for the arm but prefer to apply damping only if needed.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you're heading up to Chicago-land anytime soon, try to give halo a shout and see if you can listen to his Technics SL-Q2.

Sounds good to me! I will be moving to St. Louis in the near future, but I'd still be happy to audition gear for fellow Polkies :smile:
    Sometimes you get a really good cart basically as a throw-in bonus, that's what you want to look for if possible. There used to be a saying that your cartridge was 90% of your sound quality. Don't know for sure how true that is, but carts are very important part of the equation no doubt about it.

I agree 100% as I got lucky on more than one occasion here. The Technics SL-Q2 came with a Shure M91ED Hi-Track but the stylus is bent and the overhang was way off. Still, a Pfanstiehl 4761-DE stylus was ~ $15 and it sounds brilliant. I may have to invest in a slightly better stylus for this cart or move up to a V15 MK III, IV, or V. Ever since hearing @SCompRacer's stellar vinyl setup, I've been wanting to try a hyper elliptical or micro-ridge stylus!

On one of my Pioneer PL-7's, it came with an ADC "Series II" cart. Underneath the Series II stylus (which was missing the needle) was a "Tech Series" cartridge body. After a little bit of research on AK, they let me know that the Tech Series body can accommodate any of the later/better ADC Styli so, here too, I can try out a pretty bodacious Nude Micro Ellipse or ViVid Line Contact stylus.

I have been using a Grado Prestige Black and I love the sound it produces. However, I don't know that Grado cartridges are available in anything other than an elliptical stylus?

I'm looking to reduce/eliminate the pops & ticks. I've cleaned and vacuumed my very modest record collection and I may have to try the wood glue method with a few of them. I really want that dead silent background I heard at Rich's house but I may not be able to achieve it with my current level of gear & I'm not moving any farther up the TT chain for the moment. In fact, I have 3 TT's (at minimum) that I need to sell before the big move!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lots of great responses here. The first time
    I posted for help on club Polk with turntables, I got something like this:
    xxelw8puei7d.jpg

Edit: holy crap had to edit about 10,000
    Times, that's what happens when posting from a phone.
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Now that's some funny shite bro! I was a train dispatcher a thousand lifetimes ago. If you turn that engine backwards at 45 RPM it says "Paul is dead!"
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Halo: those Shure M91ED carts were very popular back in the day and are pretty desirable still - wouldn't be surprised if it still commands real good coin. The cart itself should last indefinitely and as you mention new styluses can be slipped in. A person has to watch for mediocre substitute styluses tho as with the V15 types.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Halo: those Shure M91ED carts were very popular back in the day and are pretty desirable still - wouldn't be surprised if it still commands real good coin. The cart itself should last indefinitely and as you mention new styluses can be slipped in. A person has to watch for mediocre substitute styluses tho as with the V15 types.

I understand wha you mean. I've not heard a V15 but one would think that a micro-ridge stylus would make a significant difference over a standard elliptical stylus.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    halo wrote: »

I understand wha you mean. I've not heard a V15 but one would think that a micro-ridge stylus would make a significant difference over a standard elliptical stylus.

The stylus on the v15 is significant as to its Ultimate Sound had the regular and the MR the MR far outperforms the standard at least in my system it did. Using a ML (micro line) now on the ATOC9ML and that design is IMHO far better for picking up the detail in the grooves.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Reading these posts I realize I have sooo much to learn about tables. I want to jump in and start enjoying vinyl, but, I don't want to damage albums while I'm learning, especially at the price of new vinyl. Way more about tables than I could have ever imagined. Good info here.
    I can directly relate to this. I think I'd collected about $1k of vinyl before I had a working table of my own. A really good friend sent me one to use while I was trying to learn and decide on a table, but I was so obsessed with the TT reading/learning and trying to find records that I never really got around to trying it out.

About that same time, I'd caved and tried to buy a "cheap" table just to have something to play with. It was $150 I should have saved and put toward something proper, because it ended up having tired inner workings and didn't run properly (ex., speed fluctuation issues related to the degree to which the power lever was engaged, even after clean/lube), so, good for you for holding out.

And then even after I got my first decent table, I think it sat for several weeks because 1. I didn't have a cart, and 2. I didn't know how to mount and align the cart when I did finally get one. Just didn't make the time. Reminds me of when I was younger and there was this older gent I worked with who'd been building up this old motorcycle and he was already a couple of years into it. In my early 20s I just couldn't understand how an adult couldn't find the time to get that project completed, and further, how he could managed to NOT be spending his every free moment obsessively working on it. Nowwwww, I completely understand :)
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Just curious, have you thought about vertical vinyl?

https://youtu.be/T8OjlcJjSEE

I like the reply on youtube: "You'll be rich soon!"--Little did he know that you were Rich at the moment you posted the vid, and that you had been Rich your whole life! :lol:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    My Lenco with linear air bearing arm at warp speed...

https://youtu.be/YYD9CIWJELc

Kicking out the JAAMS!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    "dynamic arm balance" (i.e., using a spring instead of a counterweight & gravity) = play yer rekkid in any plane yez likes.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PRVTE

vte_5.jpg
    "There is nothing new under the sun..."
    Ecclesiastes 1:9b

28700000410_174647ac5e_z.jpginverted tt by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• SCompRacer
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

I like the reply on youtube: "You'll be rich soon!"--Little did he know that you were Rich at the moment you posted the vid, and that you had been Rich your whole life! :lol:

That made me LOL too!
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

Kicking out the JAAMS!

Who gained notoriety for various anarchic situationist manifestations, sampling and stadium house noise?

Who started the K Foundation?

Who were sued by ABBA to stop an album release?

Who doctored the Tardis?

Who asked What Time Is Love?

Who burned 1 million quid on the Scottish island of Jura?

Who was prevented from throwing buckets of sheep's blood over the audience at the 1992 BRIT Awards?

Who fired a machine gun with blanks over the heads of the audience on the stage of the 1992 BRIT Awards?

Who dumped a dead sheep at the after awards party?

Who were AKA The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, The JAMs and The Timelords?

Who kicked out the JAMS?

King Boy D and Rockman Rock of the KLF!

You back in skool? We need to spin some tunes!

qmwrpm04uwtl.jpg

y5luffjenrag.jpg

• SCompRacer
    Options
    h1krxgh4awbc.jpg
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    OK, here's a question...any of you guys ever have any experience with an Elac Micacord?
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    OK, here's a question...any of you guys ever have any experience with an Elac Micacord?

Vintage or current production? Early were idler drives, current are belt.

Early, more than one model...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/elac-miracord-tt-share-all-about-em.390203/

Current....

4add9znki1g8.png
    http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/elac_miracord_90_1.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Couple of the 1960s automatics have passed through here -- they're OK. Complicated, as one might expect. Sort of Dual-like, but a notch cheezier (not that the Duals of that era weren't already pretty cheezy).

Radio Shack sold 'em in the US, too -- sometimes under their Realistic brand, sometimes as Miracords. The US importer was Benjamin (as, in those days, was United Audio Dual's).

030.jpg
    source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1977)

041.jpg
    source: www.radioshackcatalogs.com (1970)
  • kharp1
    Options
    Oh, it's vintage. Can probably get it for free. Has a Shure rebranded cart.ec8qgtbrnvpl.jpg
  • kharp1
    Options
    Didn't know if it was worth trying, or, a stay away from piece.
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Free is good! Like any vintage thing, some maintenance would be in order. Clean and oil. Is that the table in question? If so good to have the solid spindle. I don't care for changers myself. That is stacked LP's in queue.... IIRC, some or all models didn't have damped cueing so you go gently with the arm lifting mechanism.

Idlers can be refurbished depending on condition. If idler is dry and cracked you'd have to source one.
  • kharp1
    Options
    That is the unit
  • kharp1
    Options
    I like the look of vintage, but, don't want to get in to costly rebuilding of a piece that will still be "mediocre" st best. Would rather pass and wait. I'm not against putting money in to the right piece to get it to its best if it's going g to produce results and add some potential resale to it.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    It has aged nicely. Respected and taken care of.

I refurbed a Yamaha YP-D10 that wasn't covered and dust cover was off when a room was repainted.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh, it's vintage. Can probably get it for free. Has a Shure rebranded cart.ec8qgtbrnvpl.jpg

Well worth free :)
    Be prepared for cleanin' and regreasin' if it's like most of the vintage European automatics ;)

EDIT For free, it might be worth picking up for the cartridge -- looks like a Shure of some sort (?).

That looks like a pretty serious piece of hardware behind it -- I'm thinking Pioneer SX-1010 (if not a Pioneer integrated amp?).

SX1010a.jpg
  • kharp1
    Options
    This guy has a basement full of vintage gear. Floor to ceiling shelves stuffed full of great quality, great condition vintage stuff.
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Would love to take a nostalgia trip in that basement!

I'd still use a speed checker on it. My Lenco has adjustment locks for 16, 33, 45 and 78. The adjustments change position of idler against a tapered motor shaft. Now that I have a tachometer controlled power supply, speed control is automatic.

Also there are 50Hz and 60Hz model turntables along with multi-voltage wiring (110, 220). Running 50Hz setup on 60Hz will result in few percent speed variance.

My fav go to speed checker is a KAB SpeedStrobe. It allows for needle in the groove speed checking. Strobe is battery operated so it is not affected by mains variance like a light bulb would. They also use large numbers which are easier to read for my old eyes than tiny lines close together on older speed checkers.

You can use phone apps too.

https://www.kabusa.com/gif/strobe.jpggqbxobpnabeh.png