The Clamp, a world-class turntable clamp

Options
inspiredsports
inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
edited August 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
"The Clamp" I believe was invented and developed by member "hearingimpaired" (Joe A).

I really don't think there's ever been another product made that will more tightly mate a vinyl disc to a turntable due to the way the brass grip system holds on to the turntable spindle and pulls the mating surface down toward the platter as you twist the tightening knob.

If I remember correctly, it is constructed of Delrin plastic with an incredible 3-part brass spindle grip design, both sonically neutral materials. As the story goes, the patent applied for never stuck or at least didn't keep large well-heeled competitors from pirating the idea and mass producing lesser quality versions that ate into Joe's top-shelf market.

Mine is in perfect mechanical and sonic condition, but cosmetically has a blemish or two.
These are as rare as proverbial hen's teeth and definitely worth the $350 shipped I'm asking, but I will consider an offer.

bgsbw7i06so2.jpg
tfr00lcd7gyv.jpg
k32cyjamb7u6.jpg
nj5s6wektkld.jpg
hipjqfl1tpii.jpg

VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
NAD SS rigs w/mods
GIK panels
Post edited by inspiredsports on

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Have you got the shims/instructions for it? Put me in line, please.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • inspiredsports
    edited August 2017
    Options
    2qqroal7m1pc.jpg

TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited August 2017
    Options
    There were 3 shims included with The Clamp. I can't locate mine at the moment, so could you please provide the measurements for them?

I do have the instructions for it.

The brass collet is one piece, not 3. Here is a photo of mine disassembled.

m0gm279bktx2.jpg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    The shims are for helping to flatten worped vinyl. They definitely help if the record is not perfectly flat. You put the shims on the spindle between the platter mat and record. Simply place over platter mat, place record on table, then install the clamp and clamp down. The more severe the worp, the thicker the shim. It works really well, not quite as well as a heavy weight or center clamp along with an outer periphery ring, but well nonetheless. The light weight of the clamp makes it ideal for use on suspended tables.
  • inspiredsports
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Correct, yes, a single piece of brass (collet) split into 3 grips at the business end.

rci3374igd64.jpg

Brain cramp (too much of the 12 year aged rum my daughter brought me upon return from her honeymoon in Jamaica!)

I found the 3rd shim on my turntable platter!

They are 1.5, 2.5 and 3 mm and can be stacked in combination to get the desired height. the approx 1-1/8" diameter shim sits on the turntable raising the record just a bit above the platter.

Then, the approx 3" diameter contact ring of the clamp base can push down on the vinyl, reversing the positive shim gap and deflecting (sometimes with a loud snap!) the grooved portion of the record down into firm contact with the platter. You have to experiment to see what is the best total shim height (under the vinyl) for your rig. 3mm worked best for my delrin plattered Sonographe.

With the 3 shims you have options of:

4 (stacking 1.5 + 2.5)
    4.5 (stacking 1.5 + 3)
    5.5 (stacking 2.5 +3)

While definitely a help for warped vinyl, I believe Joe instructed to always use to get some positive gap to be "reversed" by the 3" diameter ring of the clamp when tightened.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • vmaxer
    Options
    I am attaching a copy of the instructions for The Clamp for those who may need or want them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    I remember all the talk about this piece, but never saw one. There is some really good engineering in it! Much better functionality than the simple billet weights that you can find around the web. GLWTS
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Even a non-vinyl guy like me was impressed with what The Clamp does. So impressed that I own one. You should too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• agfrost
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Even a non-vinyl guy like me was impressed with what The Clamp does. So impressed that I own one. You should too.

This one is spoken for. :wink:
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Interesting.
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    Yep, I'm almost embarrassed to have to sell some of my favorite goodies, but these 2 weddings in a 4-week period are a worthwhile challenge!

The Clamp is shipping out to today !
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    I don't tear up much but this one gets me every time I see it. It's a candid, un-posed iPhone shot I caught of my poised of baby girl (my youngest daughter) exactly 2 weeks ago while she was getting ready.

1x99ufei3721.jpg

(next one is 2 weeks from today!)

MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    That's a very nice unposed photo somebody has good eye. Congrats!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Too bad Larry didn't buy this one. There may be hope for others!
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Some goofy pics I photochopped years ago....still kinda funny...lol

d0b3h6cf0heu.jpg

0unrs2o30dwt.jpg

q7fdyfo75nu5.jpg

6k797mc6shbn.jpg

803n0cpsy21a.jpg

A more serious pic...a Linn LP12 I once owned.

dpfai7plcasu.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited August 2017
    Options
    From the Bloomington Polk Fest we had many years ago at Mike's house. I brought my entire system along with a Nottingham Spacedeck......and, The Clamp.

3b0spv0wst0a.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • vmaxer
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Too bad Larry didn't buy this one. There may be hope for others!

Never give up hope.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • agfrost
    Options
    I was a bit surprised it hadn't been snapped up in the 7 hours before I saw this post!

The Clamp sale threads don't tend to last too long.
    Jay
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    I live the Photo-Shopped Presence album cover !! Shipped out yesterday
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    I was a bit surprised it hadn't been snapped up in the 7 hours before I saw this post!

The Clamp sale threads don't tend to last too long.

When I bought mine from a member the thread lasted about ten minutes. Well worth the price.

Excellent Photochops above!

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    Vmaxer, thanks for the instruction manual. I just printed it out.

I was lucky enough to get the last one Joe had at the time. This clamp, I have zero complaints about. It does a damn fine job with what it's supposed to do and it does a great job at improving all aspects of the sound of vinyl.

I never play vinyl without it. Ever.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I've had mine for years, got it direct from Joe. Had no idea they were so revered!

1rjg107ndty8.jpg
  • vmaxer
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Vmaxer, thanks for the instruction manual. I just printed it out.

I was lucky enough to get the last one Joe had at the time. This clamp, I have zero complaints about. It does a damn fine job with what it's supposed to do and it does a great job at improving all aspects of the sound of vinyl.

I never play vinyl without it. Ever.

Tom

You're welcome. I wonder how many of these exist??

Thinking we need more.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    Options
    I tried talking Joe into making another run but there was one roadblock right after another. It's been so long ago, I forget what all of the roadblocks were. I do not remember how many he made but I do remember that the number was pretty low. Estimated off of this old man's memory....? Maybe less than 150 of them were made.

Don't hold me to that though. This was from a conversation close to a decade ago and I already had mine. so the importance of remembering wasn't a top priority. I was just wanting to hook some other LP lover friends of mine up with one because I was so impressed with the end result.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • inspiredsports
    Options
    The biggest problem that I remember Joe telling me was the cost to do it right, probably in the $500-550 range current sell based upon the smallest quantity possible to produce.

I sold this one delivered for within just a few dollars of what I gave Joe and it is already a ton of money in the low $300's range so I think cost is what stalled things.
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    I got one from Joe many years ago also. It is terrific and I agree with all the good things other owners have observed.

There is an alternative that I purchased which comes close. I have the link below. Notice on the web page he actually has Joe's clamp on the top photo and not his own clamp. His clamp comes very close. He is a great guy to deal with!

Here is the link: http://www.simphys.com/Pages/phono products.html

Carl

• treitz3
    Options
    Looks like the same exact thing with lite differences on the outside. Sure was a lot of "fluff" in the description of it though. I wonder why he photo shopped Joe's clamp on the top pic...that's just...weird.

Inspiredsports, yes. Cost was the number one brick wall for Joe and trying a second run at it.

Tom
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    As I was scrolling through the pics I was thinking of the Led Zeppelin Presence Lp, and there it was..

Thanks Tom...
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Looks like Joe is still among the living, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210114748078113&set=a.1534807283028.68809.1020181611&type=3

Still shouting the praises of VPI T.T.'s and SDA's!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Hmmm; I wonder if that's a current pic? I ended with his modded 1.2tl's in 2011. That was one heck of an interesting and very long road trip.