Third RTi-A7 on its side for center channel?

Kryten
Kryten Posts: 79
Torn between buying a 3rd RTi-A7 or a CSi A6 to replace the CS10 center. There's not that much of a price difference between the two unless I hit a sale.

Had the hare-brained thought that I could lay the 3rd tower on it's side in front of the metal/glass TV stand to avoid vibration. Or I can build stands to keep it back a bit under the TV but above the top shelf and below the TV.

I find myself listening to cable music stations in all stereo a lot as I putter.
Movie sound is good enough for now.
Rear speakers are Currently re-worked Pioneer HPM-40s, sub is a bit lacking at the moment.
Upgrading one piece at a time. Goal is to get to 7.2 or no more than 9.2. May separate out the Home Theatre system from the Music system. New wife doesn't care about the looks, size, clutter, just that it sounds good to her and I'm happy - Yeah, I'm blessed....

So, 3 questions:
1) Sonically I would expect the RTi-A7 to outperform a CSi A6, Correct?
2) Sonically or mechanically, are there issues with turning an A7 on its side? This would move the drivers into an unusual arrangement with respect to the listener, but would it matter?
3) What have I failed to consider (including sufficient power, phasing, timing......)?

I'm currently working on rebuilding a pair of Monitor Series 5s, then a pair of KEHs, then pairs of Pioneer CS-77s and CS-88s, then a pair of soon to be acquired Pioneer HPM-100s. Some of these will matched with older stereo receivers that need to go across the bench. Doubt any of these would timbre match the Front Polk RTi-A7s. (yeah, I'll probably do the crossover upgrade on the A7s as money/time allow).

Thanks,
Rick

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    If you saw the A6 in person, you would erase the thought of a wobbly, curved, giant speaker on its side.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Unless u can stand it upright below or behind a projector screen, just go with the a6. Awesome center, you won't be disappointed!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Yes go for the A6, putting a floor standing speaker on it's side will toss the tweeter too off center causing sound imbalance.

Now if you're from West Virginia, well ......
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    No, no, no! Get a real center, unless you can stand a tower upright. If you can... It's great! But not on its side, please.
  • Kryten
    Thank you all for the responses and resulting chuckles. Sometimes a guy needs a sanity check.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    where do these crazy ideas come from?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Just get a A6 center channel and enjoy a nice big beasty center channel.
    tmjf6laqwxbh.jpg
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Kryten wrote: »
    Thank you all for the responses and resulting chuckles. Sometimes a guy needs a sanity check.

You seem to get it. Another guy came here and just flamed us for even suggesting he get a real center channel. Unless its a rectangle box 2way speaker you may be able to get away with on its side. Big 3way like that with curved sides good god no please. If you had a projector going to a screen and it could stand up and not be in the screen view then heck ya i can see that.
    You will be very happy with the proper center channel.
    Yea we laughed hard when he shared a picture. It truly was a gargantuan mess for a trailor living room that size.
  • Kryten
    nudie shot. :D ... I have my turntable elsewhere, away from speaker. Would be concerned about vibration from a center speaker. Shoot, I'm worried it'll shake the TV or DVD player. I do have room to raise my TV and put a Tower under it, but will continue pursuing a CSI-A6. Again, Thanks to all who replied.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Kryten wrote: »
    nudie shot. :D ... I have my turntable elsewhere, away from speaker. Would be concerned about vibration from a center speaker. Shoot, I'm worried it'll shake the TV or DVD player. I do have room to raise my TV and put a Tower under it, but will continue pursuing a CSI-A6. Again, Thanks to all who replied.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178627/polk-csi-a6-for-sale#latest
  • Thanks Chumlie. Wrong coast though. Shipping might be a deal breaker.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Like you mentioned in the "for sale" thread, the Polk Ebay store is no joke.
    I've bought 3 pairs of refurb speakers that all showed up looking AND packaged brand new. You may have a hard time finding one for cheaper on the open market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112548164937?rmvSB=true#shpCntId
    With example shipping to Mass, it only adds $40 to total.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Kryten
    I bought the CsiA6 from Crutchfield on sale. $253 with tax. The difference between the my CS10 and the CsiA6 is, to say the least, dramatic. My wife was shocked on 3 counts. 1) How big the A6 is; 2) How "clean and strong" (her words) it sounds and 3) How great the CS10 sounded on the other HT setup. It replaced a baby Yammy. "Wow, one speaker made that much difference?"

I have left the new A6 playing FM classical for 11 hours now and every time I come back in the room it sounds less shrieky/bright. Cannot wait for 100hours to play through it. That's how long my A7s took to settle in. We're watching the remake of Ghostbusters now at moderate volume. Only thing I did was back the center channel down 2dB from the previous setting.

I should start a new thread, but how do you all tame the cable spaghetti? Once I clean things up I will post a pic.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice, glad to hear you're enjoying the new acquisition. Indeed, I was impressed with the CSi5 when I got it. A nice sized center makes a big difference. Also cool that your wife is getting a kick out of this stuff with you.

Re: cable bisgetti, I use velcro ties, cheap on Amazon, fuzzy side out. Just looked them up - used to be $6 for 100, but price has gone up. I first came across these at the local big-box hardware stores, but half the quantity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B001E1Y5O6
    I disabled signatures.