how to judge selling of vintage spkrs

Options
I've flipped quite a few sets of speakers and was wondering how you if you let go of some how do you do it
1. Based on purchase price
2. Years of use by you
3. .Comps on other sites
4. if friend prices may vary from listed if on C/L or E-Bay

I've done well w/o losing my shirt. My Polk 2Bs would be the hardest to flip because of the mods invested in them. All other speakers very minimal work was done maybe an original driver replacing a Radio Shack drop in but that's the most I ever did.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Me.. condition and the satisfaction of my own self. I've fixed up speakers ( new surrounds and or driver) as long as i make the cost of the surrounds or driver I'm good. I am well aware I lost money on my time and labor but I got the satisfaction of the fix so I was good.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited August 2017
    Options
    wait... I'm supposed to let go of some?

Seriously - I almost always go by comps on other sales as it's the most current indicator of value, though, of the few I have actually pried from my cold dead hands... I mean let go... it's usually to friends and well under market for them. Actually, I have gifted several sets now that I think of it LOL.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Yeah, it's not my best thing either...
    (letting go, that is)

https://youtu.be/L0MK7qz13bU
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Letting go was tough as you all saw my insane wall of sound. Not that many left some listed on C/L which is very slow lately and few bites. Prices not out of the norm. My newest pick up-for free EPI m-201s which have a design similar to the Bose 601s w/ both front and top firing 8" woofers and the inverted Burhoe tweeters.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    My single best clear-out involved a Polk Forum semi-regular -- to whom I am very grateful :)

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,322
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    If you don't need to sell then wait until late fall to list. You won't move much in terms of audio in the warm months. If you do move something it will usually sell below market.

Very true indeed. Everyone seems focused outside in the summer months (the yard, the deck, the lake, etc...). Back to school also seems to take a bite out of disposable income.

I've had my best luck selling when its cold(er) outside, and people are generally spending more time indoors. However, may of my killer buys (the McCormack as an example) have come in the hottest months (pun)...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• leftwinger57
    Options
    There must be something to this. I check often and barely anything moved. I did sell my overly complicated Sony es-2000pre/amp surround processor for a hundy after a 6 month stay on C/L. This pure profit as it was gift from P-Man but he gave me my blessings since it was noe mine. I did not sell his hand made stands when I sold my M7s just to personal.

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Doc I of whom you are talking about. That's between us.

• mhardy6647
    Options
    Doc I of whom you are talking about. That's between us.

I figured you did ;)
    I didn't want to call him out without his knowledge, though!

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    Audio season is roughly November through March. You will see more listings, more purchases, and more interest overall.

Could be because people do outside stuff during the warm months.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Audio season is roughly November through March. You will see more listings, more purchases, and more interest overall.

What is this "outside" of which you speak?

;)
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I have low end vintage stuff so maybe not a good yardstick, but so far, almost everything I have sold, I have regretted. RT800i's, RT25i's, RT35i's, M10's, and M7C's to name a few. If you don't have to sell, don't, until you are sure you like the replacements.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    none of what I sold I ever regretted and was in pure joy getting cash for a something that was ages old to begin w/ then I used it for years ,so how could I complain. I was impressed w/ both the EPI 100v bookie w/ the gold ring tweeter and the EPI m110 w/ the exact same set up as the 100v except as a floor stander. But now I have an even better EPI M201.

• NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    These are the months to find those gems at a price too good to pass up but you know you can flip for more come Fall :)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I do have some regret at trading away a pair of IMF SuperCompact IIs for a smattering of vintage Nikon equipment. Not a bad trade at all -- but the IMFs were/are really fine loudspeakers.

I do wish I still had a pair of them...
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    mmm... Nikon!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,473
    Options
    machone wrote: »

Blasphemy. Those ARE the warm months!

Never mind. Not everyone lives in Texas.

...and yeah, that's exactly it.

Yeah,
    The only time it's warm in SC during the summer is right before the sun comes up.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    mmm... Nikon!

We're big fans @ my house...

23413683681_5d553b3d23_b.jpgshelfies1 120315 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Picture taken with a Canon?

Now that's funny right there...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • MrBuhl
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmm... Nikon!

Very nice indeed sir! I have enjoyed the more modern versions (F4, F5, N80, D70) very much, some amazing glass produced by these folks as well, the ED stuff can be really special. I lament the passing of Fuji Velvia and Kodak E100VS and slide mailers, the sense of anticipation waiting on the mailbox...ahhh the good old days! Before you could "fix" everything... But I digress!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Picture taken with a Canon?
    That's a negatory ;)

16565343442_388eedc7e0_b.jpgDSC_3312 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (albeit not with that 105 mm "mountain Nikkor" triplet)
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mmm... Nikon!

Very nice indeed sir! I have enjoyed the more modern versions (F4, F5, N80, D70) very much, some amazing glass produced by these folks as well, the ED stuff can be really special. I lament the passing of Fuji Velvia and Kodak E100VS and slide mailers, the sense of anticipation waiting on the mailbox...ahhh the good old days! Before you could "fix" everything... But I digress!

Our son is the big glass-head in the family :) Here's a photo of him doin' some organizin' at christmastime at our house (he was visiting, and prep'ing for a move this summer from one side of VA to the other, more or less).

28068006966_00360e2a02_b.jpg003a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(these are all lenses for 35 mm format; he has other, larger format obsessions too)

OK, enough digressing -- back to loudspeakers ;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes and no, I'd humbly opine -- some of us just don't know when to quit (or, perhaps more on point, when to reap and when to sow, so to speak). Could be hifi equipment, or optics, or cars, or...

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,386
    edited August 2017
    Options
    wait... I'm supposed to let go of some?

Seriously - I almost always go by comps on other sales as it's the most current indicator of value, though, of the few I have actually pried from my cold dead hands... I mean let go... it's usually to friends and well under market for them. Actually, I have gifted several sets now that I think of it LOL.

Can I send you my address, just incase you are in the "gifting" mood in the future? LOL
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Selling vintage speakers what an interesting concept but completely foreign to me. Now buying vintage Polks, now you're speaking my language.

Which is your favorite?
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.