Polk FR1 connection to Emerson Flat Screen TV

I have an Emerson 32" Flat Screen TV and noticed the speakers were starting to vibrate and sound 'tinny'. I had a Polk Soundbar FR1 left over from a previous set up barely used. My Emerson TV has 2 HDMI connections, 1 Digital Audio Out (Coax), 2 RCA Type jacks, 1 Red, 1 White, 1 Headphone output. How would I connect my Polk FR1 to this Emerson for sound. I know how to turn off TV speakers in Emerson settings, but can't hear the Polk Soundbar. Thanks

Comments

• KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,034
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. Since the TV's digital output doesn't seem to be an optical digital type connection (toslink) I believe you would need to use an analogue connection. A cable that has RCA type connectors on one end and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug on the other end.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Cheers, Ken
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
  • DonB5750DonB5750 Posts: 7
    Thank you for your prompt reply. What you suggested there is exactly what I have. I turned TV speakers off, inserted the RCA connectors and could not hear any sound from the Polk.
    Thank you for your prompt reply. What you suggested there is exactly what I have. I turned TV speakers off, inserted the RCA connectors and could not hear any sound from the Polk.
    You're welcome. Would you have another analogue device you could test the Polk with? The headphone output of a portable CD player? The headphone jack of a phone?
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
    I noticed just now that when I unplug and plug back in the two RCA type connectors...that if the center prong touches just the side of the TV input jacks, I hear a hum and buzz sound, but when inserting it all the way in the jack, nothing is heard.....back out, side of jack touched....loud hum again...all the way back in....nothing. What does that mean?
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,889
    DonB5750 wrote: »
    I noticed just now that when I unplug and plug back in the two RCA type connectors...that if the center prong touches just the side of the TV input jacks, I hear a hum and buzz sound, but when inserting it all the way in the jack, nothing is heard.....back out, side of jack touched....loud hum again...all the way back in....nothing. What does that mean?

That's actually kind of normal. Question though, when you plug the bar into the TV, do you turn up the volume on the TV?
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Yes, all the way up. No sound. Soundbar has worked before hooked up to a Onkyo Receiver....would this type Emerson TV not have a way of sending sound to the Polk ? I go to menu and turn TV speakers off, but can't hear a thing from the Polk no matter what I do with the Polk controls.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,628
    Turn the TV speakers on in the menu.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    Turn the TV speakers on in the menu.

Agreed...I think with the speakers turned to off, it's disabling the headphone jack in the process leaving the soundbar with 0 signal to work with.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Emerson TV settings are : TV speakers ON, TV speakers OFF, CEC Link (Sound possible through connection to HDMI-CEC compatible Amp)
    ok, so you're saying do not use a RCA type to a 3.5 ? Do I hook up Headphone jack on Emerson to AUG on the Polk with 3.5mm to 3.5mm ?
    Just to clarify things. I've been using a RCA Type Red and White plug into the Emerson's Right and Left Audio running to an AUX jack on the Polk.
    Just to clarify things. I've been using a RCA Type Red and White plug into the Emerson's Right and Left Audio running to an AUX jack on the Polk.
    Yes, use the 3.5MM to RCA cord from the headphone jack to the soundbar, however you will have to enable the TV speakers to send a signal down said cable to soundbar to get sound to it.
    In looking at the Emerson owner's manual:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/783200/Emerson-Le391em4.html?page=11#manual
    Those red and white RCA jacks are audio left and right inputs, not outputs. The only output is via the headphone jack.