Tweaks that didn't work

13»

Comments

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,908
    Speaker Cable! :)
  • corticocortico Posts: 316
    edited September 27
    I replaced my Parasound dac SPDIF receiver (CS8412) and Digital Filter (SM5813/DF1700) ICs with, 24/94 compatible $150 CS8414 and DF1704.

Suposely, besides ability to read hi res up to 24bit/96kHz, the DAC would become absolutely top notch and make huge improvement in sound quality.

I found the opposite, it sounded worst to me so I Installed original old chips back.. issue fixed and the sound I enjoy was back.
    d2y410xwpivt.jpg

su8apq8eybl1.jpg
    Post edited by cortico on
  • daddyjt wrote: »
    Anyone else remember the green magic marker on the edge of CDs in the 80's?

yep !

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,087
    yeah -- but I remember doing it in the 1990s (late '90s, even).
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• Me thinks you might be younger than me mhardy6647.

Green marker was greed in a form, and also hopefulness, and I think bewilderment too - for me at least. We had a new and completely different format, and for affordable HIFI systems it clearly made a significant sonic improvement - but at a massive upfront and ongoing price. I certainly didn't know how it all worked - but holy **** it sounded a lot better, so we all bought green markers ... maybe ....

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,507
    Me thinks you might be younger than me mhardy6647.

Doubtful. God fought Doc for the copyright on dirt...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    Yeah, but I told God what to call it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,507
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah, but I told God what to call it.

Yeah but MIT was vetoed... >:)
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • thsmiththsmith Posts: 6,080
    Kind of the opposite but I used to have an ottoman in front of my chair. I moved it out of the way for some reason and forgot to put it back before listening to some music.

I was blown away on how much I was missing with the ottoman there.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,621
    thsmith wrote: »
    I was blown away on how much I was missing with the ottoman there.

Same might apply for too many people in a room too....suckin' up the sound waves, and your booze to boot.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • headrottheadrott Posts: 5,027
    Plenty on SACD for me and a good mastering sounds even better on it than it does on CD.

Agreed, Jesse. I will also state that SACD sounds better, to my ears than DVD-A and Blu-Ray Audio (DVD-A, BR-A both sound better than CD, however.)

A good comparison are the DSD mastered Rolling Stones CD's and then when they were released on SACD using the same masters (DSD). If one cannot hear the difference in the CD verses the SACD, one either needs better equipment, or better listening abilities, or both.

That said, I know I'm a few months late to this debate, but accuracy never goes out of style, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 484
    edited November 12
    headrott wrote: »

Agreed, Jesse. I will also state that SACD sounds better, to my ears than DVD-A and Blu-Ray Audio (DVD-A, BR-A both sound better than CD, however.)

A good comparison are the DSD mastered Rolling Stones CD's and then when they were released on SACD using the same masters (DSD). If one cannot hear the difference in the CD verses the SACD, one either needs better equipment, or better listening abilities, or both.

That said, I know I'm a few months late to this debate, but accuracy never goes out of style, IMO.

That's interesting that you should bring up the Stones DSD masters. I just bought their entire studio catalog of those CD's. They sound better than everything else I own. Even the Japanese Stones SACD's I have. So you're saying there is EVEN MORE improvement on SACD's made from those masters? Holy.....smoke. :o
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
    Viking64 wrote: »
    headrott wrote: »

That's interesting that you should bring up the Stones DSD masters. I just bought their entire studio catalog of those CD's. They sound better than everything else I own. Even the Japanese Stones SACD's I have. So you're saying there is EVEN MORE improvement on SACD's made from those masters? Holy.....smoke. :o

The Japanese SACD's from a number of years back (no longer made, first editions) and the DSD CD's are the same masters, actually (from about 2002).

The reason they may sound different (CD's sound better than SACD's) could be from what sources you are using for the CD's verses SACD's. Different DAC's, etc. will give better or worse results, but obviously not the same results.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,675
    One of the biggest difference between SACD's and CD's is Wishbone Ash/Argus. the Japaneses SACD is a much better then my CD version of it!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,339
    voltz wrote: »
    One of the biggest difference between SACD's and CD's is Wishbone Ash/Argus. the Japaneses SACD is a much better then my CD version of it!

Add Abraxas SACD
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,675
    LOL so true as I have both :) the bass just thumps yours cheat when Oye coma va kicks in!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 726
    "... once I finally get (insert brand/model here) I'll never want/need another pair for a LONG time."

Tried it a couple times, still not working.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,143
    Add the SHM-SACD of Sticky Fingers and Who's Next as the best there is.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,339
    Add Shangri La
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,596
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Add Abraxas SACD

Yep. Depth of emotion never heard before.
    edited November 13
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Add Abraxas SACD

Interesting. Which SACD are you referring to? I have the MFSL Gold CD of Abraxas. But, are you referring to the MFSL SACD or the SHM-SACD (is there one?) of Abraxas?
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

Add the SHM-SACD of Sticky Fingers and Who's Next as the best there is.

Who's Next is excellent!
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,317
    Lining my SDA's with BH5 was the worst and a very expensive mistake.. :#
    Death Grip...
13»