Tweaks that didn't work

Comments

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,362
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Black socks have a better mids control without shaving off the highs. YMMV of course.

No No...common since

Black sox produce blacker back ground,,,pffft,
    buy them books and all they do is burn them
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,608
    edited August 4
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Black socks have a better mids control without shaving off the highs. YMMV of course.

No No...common since

But...I wear Gold Toe Black socks per Skips suggestion. I see your point on the blacker background....but what good is that without proper control of said mids.

As to my books...I have colored all of them, every page thank you very much!

BTW doofus.....it's common sense.....

Talk about not reading a book or two...... :*
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,347
    voltz wrote: »
    Changing into a clean pair of socks! - I thought it would help clean up the sound but no luck.td2mcydziqzh.jpg

I bet it did clean up the odor. :)
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    To espound further, most "tweaks" have worked for me. Spiked speakers, wall treatments, power conditioning, etc.....

About the only thing I have never heard a difference in is cables.......... :o :o B)

I keeed!
    It's a shell game. One set of IC sounds bomb-diggity on brand X transport but sounds thin on brand Y....go figure.
    Not many tweak failures here. But subtle differences heard.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,850
    To espound further, most "tweaks" have worked for me. Spiked speakers, wall treatments, power conditioning, etc.....

About the only thing I have never heard a difference in is cables.......... :o :o B)

I keeed!
    It's a shell game. One set of IC sounds bomb-diggity on brand X transport but sounds thin on brand Y....go figure.
    Not many tweak failures here. But subtle differences heard.

Cables suck blueteeth is where it's at baby
    edited August 4
    What's your address, Ivan? I'll drive up there and throw all your gear in the yard.....
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,098

No No...common since

But...I wear Gold Toe Black socks per Skips suggestion. I see your point on the blacker background....but what good is that without proper control of said mids.

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,850
    What's your address, Ivan? I'll drive up there and throw all your gear in the yard.....

Did you forget its being held hostage?
    Cu next Tuesday
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

No No...common since

Dangit! Doc is on to me and my choice of attire whilst listening to the Pet Shop Boys.....
  • halenhalen Posts: 194
    Hey hey. I found my thrills on blue berry hills. Whilst listening to pet shop boys. Magic on fire.
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,761
    edited August 4
    SACD.

Jk.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,537
    SACD.

Jk.

Actually, yeah and I'm not jk. The format is fine, there was just zilch for a millennial to listen to.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    SACD is a tweak? LOL. I guess it can fall into that category. :)
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    SACD is a tweak? LOL. I guess it can fall into that category. :)

Not really but it came up and didn't work for me. :)
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    It's the same old truism. It is the mastering that makes the recording. Not the format.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    It's the same old truism. It is the mastering that makes the recording. Not the format.

Or the fact that a title is even available on said format.
    audiothesis.com/

Touché. Nah my thing with SACD was for two channel the difference from red book was just ehh. Multichannel though was very nice.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,154
    Plenty on SACD for me and a good mastering sounds even better on it than it does on CD.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

edited August 4
    Oh it's better for sure. On a good recording and my equipment it's just the difference of fine wine and damn good wine. To Skips point; I just have so much more content from red book that SACD wasn't worth the journey.
    Biamping an AVR, duh.
  • schwarcwschwarcw Posts: 7,119
    Any opinions on MQA and/or Tidal "Masters"?
    Carl

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,819
    @lightman1 told me liquor would make the music sound better. He lied.

It made it sound fuzzy and blurry.

And he randomly asked me if I wanted to go camping. Not sure what that had to do with anything...

The actual ONLY one I have used that haven't seen much difference from is adding the little blocks of rubber with cork in the middle between my gear.

This isnt to say it CANT, maybe just my gear isnt to a high enough level to require or take advantage of it.

I still like them mainly as spacers for airflow for my gear, and to keep it from getting scratched....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Danny, try dynamat instead. The blocks will absorb the transfer of vibrations from the rack/stand to the component, but it won't do anything for the vibrations on the chassis of the component. Weight on top or dynamat will do a better job of eliminating the physical resonance introduced to your music.
    audiothesis.com/

edited August 15
    DSkip wrote: »
    Danny, try dynamat instead. The blocks will absorb the transfer of vibrations from the rack/stand to the component, but it won't do anything for the vibrations on the chassis of the component. Weight on top or dynamat will do a better job of eliminating the physical resonance introduced to your music.

Not sure where I'd apply the dynamat.

Downstairs, Xbox One is my digital source, and I really dont want to open it up. Denon is my pre-amp and again not sure if I wanna crack that one open (but I might). My main concern there is heat building around the HDMI board causing caps to dry out and fry the board.

B&K runs hot and the heatsinks are not setup to allow it either...

So that systems is kinda fubar'd....

Loft setup is Roku (so small I'm sure there isnt any space for it) for my digital source, and then the Anthem MRX-500 is the preamp.... That one I might crack open to apply it to it...

But again, not sure what vibrations I'd be getting since there aren't really any spinny discs to create vibrations, or have them negatively affect the sound...

Thoughts?

From a weight perspective, the Xbox is on top my stack on one side in the HT, the B&K is in its own section, and teh Denon is in its own cubby.

The loft has the Roku somewhat squished between shelves, but the Anthem is free floating on just the shelf....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Vibrations come from the music brother. Those sound waves transfer the energy to anything they hit.
    audiothesis.com/

Vibrations come from the music brother. Those sound waves transfer the energy to anything they hit.

Point taken. I now have more to ponder lol....
    If you treat the component, the vibrations from the rack are almost moot since the component would be absorbing those vibrations anyways. *ALMOST moot. Different plinths under my components was much less noticeable when I dynamatted them all, but there still was a subtle difference.
    audiothesis.com/

If you treat the component, the vibrations from the rack are almost moot since the component would be absorbing those vibrations anyways. *ALMOST moot. Different plinths under my components was much less noticeable when I dynamatted them all, but there still was a subtle difference.

We may have to chat further via phone about this sometime....

I'd honestly be more tempted to play with it in the loft as I really wanna maximize those Ushers up there.... They are just so danged sweet and sexy!
  • GospelTruthGospelTruth Posts: 254
    voltz wrote: »
    Changing into a clean pair of socks! - I thought it would help clean up the sound but no luck.td2mcydziqzh.jpg

Black socks, white socks, gold toe and what not. I think the obvious visual here is that the socks are not "toed" in properly. Fix that and your sweet spot should open right up.

Ok, it's late and I've read way too many posts and felt a need to comment somewhere.

Carry on.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,098
    edited August 16
    halen wrote: »
    Hey hey. I found my thrills on blue berry hills. Whilst listening to pet shop boys. Magic on fire.

(for whatever reason, my wife passionately dislikes Bruce's interpretation of Blueberry Hill. ) :/
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum