the cloth behind the grill on the RC-65i in-wall speakers

Options
baneling
baneling Posts: 53
edited July 2017 in Troubleshooting
Hi all, I just finished installing the RC-65i in-wall speakers. there is a fabric behind the grill. Can I remove this fabric? what's it for? I notice that when I'm watching a movie without the grills on, these speakers are as loud as the main fronts. I figure when I put back the grills, the sound will be a bit lower cause of that fabric. that's why I'm hoping I can take it off.

Also, behind the tweeter there are some small components that yellow, white and a blue one and also copper coil. those are touching the plastic vapor barrier inside the wall. does that area get warm? I know I should have asked before I installed them. here is a picture of it:
https://www.google.ca/search?q=polk+audio+in-wall+speakers+fabric+behind+the+grill&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSkISG8rHVAhUi3YMKHRS-CswQ_AUICigB&biw=2560&bih=1299#imgrc=2lrx4MXHpRlKZM:&spf=1501448755413

thanks

www.jvpix.com

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Yes you can remove the barrier, they do come in handy if you paint the grills

If it's a membrane barrier like Tyvek it won't get hot enough to burn
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • baneling
    Options
    what's the purpose of the cloth behind the grill?

www.jvpix.com
  • txcoastal1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    baneling wrote: »
    what's the purpose of the cloth behind the grill?

Paint

To keep it off the drivers in new home construction :)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• baneling
    Options
    wouldn't someone just put the grill ontop of some newspaper or something and spray paint it?

www.jvpix.com
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I am a dealer/installer
    If that layer wasn't there, we would have over spray on the drivers

Contractors don't pay attention during new construction

• baneling
    Options
    makes sense. thanks

www.jvpix.com