Spikes for 1.2tls

Options
I know...not another discussion on speaker spikes ;) I've done a ton of reading on here about the improvements from adding them so i decided i will give them a try on my 1.2s.

I have found a bunch of nice ones on oregondv to choose from. My main problem is that i have recently moved my gear out to the main family room which has hardwood flooring. Because of this i don't need really tall spikes and im worried that too tall of spikes will place my tweeters to high up as these are alreay tall speakers. I just don't know if the smaller spikes are made to handle the weight of speakers like these.

What do you guys think? And also, the thread size doesnt matter because when i reveneered the bases i had to fill in where the stock inserts were since they were pretty beat up.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    The original stock steel spikes were somewhat adjustable between 1" and 1.5" tall and 1/4" in diameter. It isn't hard to do better than those.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    Jesse, Would you recommend any of the spikes from the oregondv site? And if so, what size?
    Thanks
  • F1nut
    Options
    Any version of the 1.5" spikes would be best for the size and weight of your SDA's.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2017
    Options
    These are nice spikes with a deadly pointed tip.

http://www.hifiracks.co.uk/products/accessories/Large-Stainless-Steel-30mm-Spikes

Adona is another place for spikes, some are the same as Oregondv.

http://www.adonacorporation.com/tweaks.html

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Options
    Sounds good, I'll order some up tomorrow. Can any of you guys tell me the measurements on where the original t-nuts were located on the bases of the 1.2tl's? Since i filled in the old holes when i reveneered them, I'd like to make sure i use a slightly different spot for the new spikes so i hit solid mdf as opposed to wood filler.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Inch and a quarter from both sides
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Gerres26
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Contrary Opinion:

You have a wood floor. The spikes will sink in. Moving the speakers will scar the wood.

The point (!!!) of the spikes is to pierce carpet and carpet pad so that the speakers couple to the "hard" floor underneath. The "magic" is due to the enormously-increased loading at the point of the spike--the pounds-per-square inch increased dramatically because while the pounds stayed about the same, the square-inches were reduced. End result is that the spike sinks through the carpet to rest on the structural floor below.

You don't have carpet. Your speakers will couple to the floor with the normal plastic "feet".

They sell spike-and-dish sets, where the spikes fit into a protector that prevents the spikes from digging into a soft (wood, linoleum, vinyl, etc) floor. The physics aren't good for this arrangement. The spikes couple to the protectors, but the protectors don't couple to the floor. This becomes an expensive waste of effort.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's the minimal contact point of the tip that matters regardless if it is in direct contact with the floor or a spike disc.

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Options
    If it matters, i planned to use the spike discs to keep from digging into the hardwoods.
  • Schurkey
    edited July 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's the minimal contact point of the tip that matters regardless if it is in direct contact with the floor or a spike disc.

We agree that the spike couples to the "spike disc". The spike and disc are coupled--as if they were one piece.

Now consider a one-piece spike and dish. Or mentally "weld" the spike and disc together. You've got a funny-looking pedestal an inch or three high, but where the assembly meets the floor, there's actually MORE contact area that with the OEM plastic feet. The speaker cannot couple to the floor because the PSI loading isn't there--you've increased the square inches with the spike disc instead of decreasing the square inches--and therefore increasing the loading--with the spike minus the protector disc.

Is this a joist floor? I bet the springyness of a typical joist floor is going to be of more concern than whether you have spikes or plastic feet on the speaker, given a hardwood surface. It would be great if the wall you have your speakers near continues below the floor to the story below. Then the joists have some support close to the speakers.

Hardwood over concrete could be another (happy) story.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I dont have the info to back an argument either way in this one. But if it helps any, i no longer have the oem feet since i redid the bases. So if nothing else for me these will be a better way to get the speakers leveled up and look nice doing it. Any sonic benefits will just be a plus for me.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Options
    Just a side note, i put the 1.5" oregondv spikes on my SRS's and my SRS 2's. The SRS's are on a carpeted floor and the 2's are on a hardwood floor. Both have no buttons under the spikes. The improvement was amazing. Yes, they would damage the floor if moved without putting something under them, but the speakers have a sweet spot relative to their position and they don't move at all this way. I adjusted them where i wanted and removed the shims under the spikes. My wife asked me what's wrong with the speakers, they don't move. I was always wondering why they kept sounding strange and sure enough, they were toe in or out and moved away or closer to the wall. All mess up the soundstage. I told her to just work around them as they are good where they are. Just have to.be careful a little.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • Gerres26
    Options
    I ended up ordering the wider 1.5" spikes from oregondv with the floor discs. Had some free time to install them today but haven't had a chance to listen yet. They're very sturdy and look great. I should get some listening in here shortly and see if i notice any changes overall.

hx0l3slvvyi8.jpg
    9b6ccuc1df8o.jpg
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Very nice...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Looks nice. Another good idea for wood floors are track bolts with a rounded head. Suggested by Richard Vandersteen.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Schurkey
    Options
    Track bolts???

Are you suggesting a set of bolts that go into the speaker cabinet, leaving the rounded head to contact the wood floor?
  • stones89
    Options
    Exactly - I have used them on 2 sets of speakers, Thiel CS5 and Polk 2.3tl and notice a nice improvement.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,435
    Options
    Lookin' great Dannaaaaay!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    Looks nice. Another good idea for wood floors are track bolts with a rounded head. Suggested by Richard Vandersteen.
    What are track bolts?
    I tried looking them up, but not sure.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Lookin' great Dannaaaaay!

Thanks Scott! I know we've talked recently about spikes. I can say these are very solid and have a great finish.
  • msg
    Options
    Yes - it's great to see how these look in real life, and not just four chunks of shiny metal, flaunting naked threads trying to make me click the add-to-cart button.

I do like the beefier, lower profile presentation of these. Very nice height/fit - nicely elevated stance, and yet still high enough that you could probably get a microfiber dust wand underneath for a coupla swipes to keep the missus happy. Just something else to make your listening experience that much better, 'cause let's face it - it all factors in. It's not all about the sound B) If this were me, I'd probably be sitting in silence just looking at them for a while, hehe
    I disabled signatures.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    1976doc wrote: »
    Wouldnt that dimple or even scar the flooring?
    I like the spikes with discs idea.
    Would it be counter productive to put felt on the bottom of the discs?
    It's counterproductive to use the discs.
  • Gerres26
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    1976doc wrote: »
    Wouldnt that dimple or even scar the flooring?
    I like the spikes with discs idea.
    Would it be counter productive to put felt on the bottom of the discs?
    It's counterproductive to use the discs.

I'd say a certain percentage of audio enthusiasts agree with you and the rest would disagree. I can only speak to my situation. Im pretty sure the 180lb speaker pushing down on 4 little points, which are sitting on top of small discs are better than the whole base resting on the floor. I could easily slide the speakers on my hardwood floors before the spikes and now with the pressure being concentrated to those small points, they are much harder to move. Which i would think has to make an improvement especially in bass responde. Not to mention finally having the ability to level these babys up :)

• stones89
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    stones89 wrote: »
    What are track bolts?
    I tried looking them up, but not sure.

Look at the fastenal website under bolts and you can see them. I have never heard of track bolts myself - but they are the lord of bolts! They are similar to hex bolts but have a rounded head.
  • msg
    Options
    All about the best fit for your space, I say!
    Sometimes that may not be the most ultra-refined in the audiophile world, and that's alright. Can't tear up the wife's nice wood floor, for example. You can still get some/most? of the benefit?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Schurkey
    Options
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    Im pretty sure the 180lb speaker pushing down on 4 little points, which are sitting on top of small discs are better than the whole base resting on the floor.
    Those aren't the only two options.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Im pretty sure the 180lb speaker pushing down on 4 little points, which are sitting on top of small discs are better than the whole base resting on the floor.

Bingo!

Round headed bolts would be a very poor idea, IMO.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    Of course not.
    Offer up some others?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gerres26
    Options

Of course they aren't the only options. One option is to skip the discs and allow the spikes to dig right into the flooring. But thats not realistic for me as im not about to tear up my hardwood floors over that. And maybe there's some 'cheap' alternative to the spikes and discs but i doubt it will look as nice and be built as solid. With all the money we dump into audio things, i doubt that the 60 bucks is going to put many people over the top ;)