Anyone with interest in (vintage) British loudspeakers: any opinion/experience with KEF C55?

Options
So -- there's a pair of KEF C55 loudspeakers visiting the ol' manse of late.
I was curious to try them, so try them I am.

So far, I've tried them with three different amplifiers: SE 2A3, PP 11BM8 (same "dually" tube as the 6BM8 triode/pentode but with 11v filament; ca. 8 wpc) and a harman/kardon hk770 (dual mono PP soiled state @ ca. 65 wpc).
So far, I've had the loudspeakers on low stands, tipped back a wee bit (and angled in a wee bit, too).

The sound is -- well, not great. Nice and clean midrange but overall very tubby (midbass heavy) -- with any of the three amplifiers mentioned(?!). Now, those three were chosen semi-arbitrarily (i.e., easy to get off the shelf & hook up!) but as a deliberate attempt to "run the gamut" of amp topologies (SE, PP, tube and soiled state).

I figure I am doing something wrong! There's an undercurrent of a sound I like (and associate with KEFs, based on my largely vintage experience), mixed with molasses.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated and gratefully received!

Thanks.

PS I do understand that these are far from high-end (indeed, pretty close to the bottom of the food chain) and somewhat anachronistic (early "Uni-Q"), so I may be hearing exactly what they are... but I am kinda skeptical of that based on lots of other KEF experience!

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I was interested to read your comments about that Kef model. There has been a set on our local CL four weeks now for $135 with stands and I have been curious how they sound. Not enough to buy them just to try them out, but still curious.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    That price sounds really steep to me -- unless they're with awfully nice stands :neutral:

A suggestion from www.hifihaven.org was to try tall(er) stands, which I shall do. I used little "Polkstand"-esque stands that were handy when I did my first evaluations, so a more modern "small loudspeaker" stand may be a better choice.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If these are anything like British cars, probably not all that hot ;)
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The smoke is pretty good at staying in the British loudspeakers -- even Quad ESLs ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    McLaren, Jaguar, Mini, Land Rover/Range Rover, and more are way above "all that hot". What little I've tried that were British made were all very good. B&W, and Tannoy are the two standouts. Had a pair of KEF book shelf speakers with the tweeter in the middle of the woofer that were very respectable. I'm an American and know there are good and not so hot speaker produced here too. You can't throw a blanket statement over a country like.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Its been a long time since I have heard C55's. I don't remember them being tubby, more bass shy. The C75's had a more rich sound. Those were my target of the two.
    There may have been some over compensation of upper bass for the lack of bass with the C55 that I was less aware of then. I did play with tone controls back then. As I recall I could get the C55's to rock and have some punch with the proper low bass boost. Although the imaging was great, and I think they had more bass at neutral settings than early Polk M5's, there was something that left me feeling like I would be settling if I got them. I remember wishing something was better about them. I could be mistaken, but they may need to be in a true bookshelf location with some dampening around them to sound best, or maybe near corner placement in a smaller room to boost the lower bass. I heard them on shelf rack surrounded by books and stuff, and also more out in the open on top of a table further from a wall. I think it was on the shelf surrounded by stuff that was better.

I recall the Uni-Q tweeters often needing a refresh, and the lack off or dried out ferrofluid changing the sound even it the tweeter wasn't dead. I thought it effected the C75, which uses the same Uni-Q driver, but I could be mistaken.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Italy can't make decent audio. 60's Alpha's and Fiat's show that

Japanese are a puzzling bunch. They prefer high end and tweaky audio but they eat weeds, insects, and uncooked fishies. At least the Brits triple batter and deep fry their fishies before eating them.

I forgot about Aston Mart. They can't be any good cuz England hasn't won enough World Cups over the years.

One doesn't have anything to do with the other.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I had a pair of them back in the day and my impressions pretty mirror yours Mark. Audiodon also had a pair and his thoughts were same as well. I could not get mine to sound good either and I also thought the top end was a bit rolled off as well. They're not one of Kef's better efforts for sure.
  • whitedigital
    Options
    Trying to be careful..I have two 16 ohm British speakers in a cab...I want to hook them up either mono or stereo...I’m thinking mono is 8 ohms and stereo is16 ohms...wired seperatlt in stereo or do I flick the switch on the back of my amp to 16 ohms and plug one speaker cord or two speaker cords one to each speaker..? Ha hathnx man!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Your speakers are 16 ohm nominal regardless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    edited October 2021
    Options
    They are indeed, immutably 16 ohms each, as @F1nut says.

It is possible to alter their nominal impedance as seen by the amplifier if (and only if) they are operated in monaural.

Wiring the two loudspeakers (drivers) in series* and connecting to one amplifier (or one amplifier channel) will double the nominal load impedance to 32 ohms.

Wiring the two loudpseakers (drivers) in parallel* and connecting to one amplifier (or one amplifier channel) will halve the nominal load impedance to 8 ohms.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I am assuming that the two "speakers" are in fact two drivers physically co-located in "a cab". If there is/are crossover(s) involved, it's a different ball game entirely.

p151dg8627wp.png
    source: https://blogs.qsc.com/cinema/2020/07/10/series-versus-parallel-surround-wiring/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Too much math Bud?
    🤭
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Found this KEF related cartoon, submitted for your approval:

kkm1nrglu4ir.png