Say you just won a beauty contest

Options
and you just had $11,148.50 to build the best 2 channel system you could,
how would you go? If new, please state the discounted price if available. If used,
please state the price of what is currently available as well. No media yet.
Dedicated listening room size 17X13X10 with no WAF to worry about.

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    With the handle "RedNedTugent", i guess i had you all wrong.
    Bikini photo's or it didn't happen!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    well 11K would be just about enough for my speakers....
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Options
    What a ridiculous post..
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Ushers mini X's + Vincent SA T7 preamp + Vincent SP T700 Tube mono blocks
    m8cvg30dilg2.jpg
    61zwtdlq2qot.jpg
    h4vq2oolp8ih.jpg
    with $$$ left over B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    Options
    go buy some good cables and call it a day!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I do like the look of those ushers...
    I'm glad you are still digging the Vincent.

Didn't think I'd have to put someone on the ignore list. :|
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    With the handle "RedNedTugent", i guess i had you all wrong.
    Bikini photo's or it didn't happen!
    There are no 'reactions' for this that match my sentiment. I just feel... I don't know man... unsettled.

Forget audio. That money'd be better spent on 2hrs with Charlie Sheen in Vegas between 2am - 4am on a Saturday morning. You did say no WAF requirement.
    I disabled signatures.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^yep, hookers and coke.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • voltz
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Red Get yourself up to Skip's house in October and then swing by Marvins place to hear several awesome ushers and see them in person... I'm going to bring my Ushers to Skips house then also!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^^^ mentioned the option to the Wifey and she told me to "off" and left w/
    her mother. :# I'm parsing this into it's a pretty good idea.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    cvc wrote: »
    What a ridiculous post..

I'd say it's awesome. It tripped your trigger to post.
    :p:p:p:p:p
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As a point of reference, what speakers do you have?
    Maybe I should aim higher...
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    "bully for you, chilly for me"

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Ushers mini X's + Vincent SA T7 preamp + Vincent SP T700 Tube mono blocks
    m8cvg30dilg2.jpg
    61zwtdlq2qot.jpg
    h4vq2oolp8ih.jpg
    with $$$ left over B)

I think I recognize those speakers.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    As a point of reference, what speakers do you have?
    Maybe I should aim higher...
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    "bully for you, chilly for me"

No no my speakers are nowhere near that. I'm saying the 11k for me would be spent on some legacy speakers. Like say Legacy whispers or something. If we are dreaming dream BIG!!! ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Here we go. Thanks for the input.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've stared at the legacy more than I few times myself in Stereophile truth be know.

Nice, is that DNA-500 20 amp? I should have added the caveat that 80lb per piece
    is about the upper limit. I'd want to keep it for as long as I could!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    Those Legacys are really nice. Trust me I have a pair but mine are in a Rosewood finish. And to pair them with the McCormack would be an outstanding combination.

When I was on the hunt for amps I was interested in a pair of DNA-750's. I was going to purchase them used and then ship them over to SMC (Steve McCormack) for complete upgrades. I actually talked to Steve himself about doing the work. Great organization he has and was very helpful in understanding what to expect. But when everything was considered I decided to move in a different direction with amps. Still would like to give them a run though.

But those speakers need a good sized room. I am pushing it with my room. I could use about another 6-8 feet from front to back.

I have seen and listened to those speakers powered with 30wpc tube amps and they were fine but when you pair them with SS 250+wpc they really shine. Soundstage, clarity, definition, scale, weight.... They just come alive.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Last time I was in a beauty contest I won second prize in a beauty contest collected 10$
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Last time I was in a beauty contest I won second prize in a beauty contest collected 10$

that was 5$ tooo much >:)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've stared at the legacy more than I few times myself in Stereophile truth be know.

Nice, is that DNA-500 20 amp? I should have added the caveat that 80lb per piece
    is about the upper limit. I'd want to keep it for as long as I could!

Yes I think so, I think you'd need dedicated 20a for what she pulls. There is always the cheaper and lighter DNA-1 Deluxe route if you can find one, mine (not deluxe) has ample juice and you could get one used for around $1200 I bet. Save enough money for a nice CDP and still have tons of power!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    this is great info. Thanks! I miss the bottom end when rocking out w/ my
    two way bookies. This is one of the things I'm trying to overcome. However, there is
    so much stuff in the "studio" that I am practically near field some of the time in my
    listening. (so the bookies are great for that)

Check on the may have to do electrical for that amp...
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2017
    Options

Really $11,148.50 for this?jsr66724w4hy.jpg
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    If you interested in Legacy speakers and need them for a smaller location you should check these out.

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/calibre/
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Hmm....Legacy's and McCormack, match up well. I would suggest a Joule pre or VAC though over the CJ.

As far as the Legacy's go, I have the Focus 20/20's and they leave me wanting for nothing. You can find them used under 3k. The newer improved versions are icing on the cake though so if a good deal came up on those, jump.

DNA-1 Deluxe....uh, yeah....you'd be hard pressed to find it's limits since Legacy's are so efficient. DNA-500 is a monster and with efficient speakers it wouldn't break a sweat. Ya need some tubes in there, and a Joule pre is just the ticket, no sloppy or syrupy lower bass like some tube gear can contribute.

Plenty of avenues to go down, I just wouldn't blow the whole wad on audio. Save some, for when life throws you those unexpected curve balls.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Plenty of avenues to go down, I just wouldn't blow the whole wad on audio. Save some, for when life throws you those unexpected curve balls."

like when the wife says we are going to Hawaii in January?
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I think more info is needed.
    Aside from the pre, amp, and speakers, what else do you need/want.
    CD Player?
    DAC?
    Turntable?
    Phono?
    Power Conditioning?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Now they are rolling in!
    I've never had any luck with tubes.
    Dunno why.
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I think more info is needed.
    Aside from the pre, amp, and speakers, what else do you need/want.
    CD Player?
    DAC? I
    Turntable?
    Phono?
    Power Conditioning?

Well that is part of the fun. Give up the disc spinners altogether? Live w/ what I have
    AFA turntable, universal, CD players...

Power conditioning would depend on the amp and maybe the transport IMHO.
    I would like to try it on the player side me thinks...