Adventure of a young lifetime

Options
Our youngest son, Mitchell, recently completed a 21 day canoeing adventure in the Boundary Waters of northern Minnesota.

frv5hcp7uxjq.png

He, five other young men and two guides paddled and portaged 110 miles through rain, sleet, mud and mosquitoes. Everything they need for the trip was carried on their backs or shoulders. Some portages were over rock formations that required technical climbing and rigging skills that most learned along the way. We are so proud of Mitchell and the grit, determination and leadership skills he exhibited in their conquest of the terrain. Below is a map of their route.

wlulkukemaeo.jpg

At the end of the journey, he and his team gave an exhibition of some of the skills required. Sandy, as always, had to give it a go herself to fully appreciate what they'd been through. BTW - she made it to the top of the climbing wall and rang the bell BAREFOOTED!

fd5yp2bki3j6.jpg

979jtssz3t8e.jpg

We hope this is one of many great adventures in life for him!

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Awesome, you should be proud.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    That kind of experience is priceless for character building... I agree, you should be very proud.

I'm a little jelly too.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That was an adventure of a lifetime Bet he has a lot of stories to tell glad he had a good time and returned safely. We will be heading up to northern Minnesota soon a little south of the boundary waters canoe area we have a place not far from lake Itasca and the Mississippi Headwaters beautiful country up there.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Ask him if bears were around them? Since they travelled so lightly and were always moving. Bears were not attracted to their scent . Adventure of a lifetime at any age for sure! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Ha, he's all grown up too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It's great that he's taken the time while he's young. Though it seems like a vacation, these time will groom you for other encounters, ven for the business world as a team.

Good on him, and good on you and momma

Super cool
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    That's cool as h e double toothpick! Life moments. Gotta do them. :)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    That is superb! Life is a journey and it sounds like he's on a great path!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    That's a great adventure, and one he will treasure forever, IMO these are the kinds of things that make life especially meaningful, there's always another day to work, but only so few to truly adventure!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Options
    That is very cool....thanks for sharing :smile:
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Thanks to all for the kind words! I will pass them along to Mitchell. Disposable cameras were used on the trek. I will try to scan and post a few of his pics when we get them back.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Sounds like a helll of a time.
    I would have died in 7 minutes.
    My only survival training consists of "HEY BEAR!" and to punch a shark in the teeth blowhole shark nuts nose...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Awesome! I hope he stopped in Hibbing on his way back to see Bob Dylan's hometown. Lol. Highway 61 and all.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Getting in shape for the Military?
    Carl

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Getting in shape for the Military?

Not that he has expressed. I tend to think he's gearing up for an adventure like this:

51yx86Wl6tL.jpg

I told Mitchell many years ago about a book by Eric Sevareid titled "Canoeing With the Cree" that captured my imagination as a teen. That book, and the journey outlined in it, inspired the two young men in "Adventure North" and, in turn, my son.