What do you feel that your rig does best?

Options
2»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Define "musical"

LOL

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Define "musical"

LOL

Tom
    1fmn3x1vewt9.jpg
    I have to use towels to wipe off the spit.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Imaging and sound stage. Wide, deep and tall.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    I like big horns and I cannot lie. They bring the music alive. It just seems more real, with the vocals more forward and great depth. The sound stand is large with fantastic imaging.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    I like big horns and I cannot lie. They bring the music alive. It just seems more real, with the vocals more forward and great depth. The sound stand is large with fantastic imaging.

Sir Wards-a-Lot.

:)

ahem

I like 'em, too...

(big horns that is)

32830685580_d837839d7b_b.jpgDSC_7253 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

32368861594_12cb40a849_b.jpgDSC_7249 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

r4qdxu4lsni8.jpg

^^^ Gary Kaufman's A5 with 1505/288 on top (and a split Altec 210 serving as subwoofers!); among my favorite loudspeakers extant.

9e90b5a2om57.jpg

^^^ I am sworn to secrecy as to the precise location of the above hifi; I will say that the (all horn system) drivers are all field coil units, with a bevy of power supplies using pairs of Tungar tube rectifiers :*

df9drvrxebob.jpg

joausc0swlv6.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    ^^^^ the only thing I learned from this is there is a thousand uses for old plaid shirts.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I have nicer 'doilies' under my horns now, I'll have you know.

:)

Interestingly, that shirt was my son's -- when he was quite young. He was never really a plaid flannel kind of guy... although I am.

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you boys haven't had the opportunity to hear the scale, intensity, dynamics and emotional engagement of "big-boy" horns... you should. You really should.

Not them shouty, wimpy Klipsch things, either :/
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I also learned something. Mr H is well versed in pop culture references...

Didn't know Sir Mix-a-lot was common place in the H residence.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Oh, yea, me and all my homies in the hood are down wit' that fresh 80s music, blood.

(ahem)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »

Oh, yea, me and all my homies in the hood are down wit' that fresh 80s music, blood.

(ahem)
    HAHAHAHA!! :D:D:D

You always have a way of solidifying why you are my favorite ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • rxonmymind
    Options
    Simplicity.
    It was 2016. Wife finally found a picture buried deep in a 30 y/o old box. She loves rooting around. Lol. She saw my rig and mentioned "why don't I have one now?" I responded family, life etc takes you on a detour sometimes. Maybe one day. "You should get one again". The fuse was lit and I loved her again! Being older now with kids I wanted something that would be INCLUSIVE and not be roped off like a Lincoln bedroom and accessable to all.
    We had the financial means to go big but as we all know that's a dragon best left alone unless you really want to ride it. Thinking long and hard I purchased a Marantz 2500 and had it restored 100%. Phono, tone, power which turned out to be around 60 caps etc. Paired it with Klipsch Belle's and a tablet for all to easily be able to play whatever they wanted.
    Goal was achieved. Sometimes we all sit around talking nonsense as "kids" often do and have a good time. I've slowly steered this family from the TV to audio and now it's about 90% audio in this house.
    As for the Marantz 2500 it offers such a clean, sweet and slightly cool sound. One day I tried to draw an analogy to it then it hit me.
    The sound is what a "sommelier" would be tasting with the best bottled water one has had. Pure.
    Say what you will of Klipsch Heritage speaker but at 104 sensitivity it WILL reveal anything upstream rather easily. No hiding. I think that's what I appreciate about any extremely sensitive speakers is it's ability to be the final arbitrator of your rig and choice of music.
    In short simplicity has brought the family together (even the dog lays down in front of the speakers!) and the lesson here at this moment in life that's what's important to me. Their voices, laughter and silliness.
    7nv12c7eid22.jpg
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Awesome post!. Thanks for sharing that.....I enjoyed reading that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    What does my rig do best? It sounds like music and not like a stereo.

If I had to pick one conventional stereo performance attribute, I would say the speed, weight, texture, articulation, clarity, and detail of bass instruments.

I won't bring up sound stage attributes because it is impossible for conventional speakers to compete with SDAs in that area.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!