What do you feel that your rig does best?

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,307
Before you answer, "Everything"? I'm not interested in that. Most people aren't. I'm asking what specifically do you feel your rig does best? What does it shine on where other rigs you have heard in your travels fall short on?

Be specific, don't just throw out, "midrange" because it's so broad a term that no one will know what you are talking about.

If you care to elaborate on why you think it shines on that particular aspect, please feel free to add this information in as well. This discussion will hopefully get folks to talk about what makes their own rigs shine and get others to pay attention to how they achieved or what they did to achieve what that rig does best. Basically, it's a discussion to let folks who are learning to.....well, get their learn on.

This is not limited to female voices, the tom-hat reproductive effort, imaging, the kick drum, horns, the piano, the bass guitar or any one thing it does best. I do realize that some systems shine best on multiple things and not just one.

So you tell me....

Whatcha' got? Do tell...

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,022
    edited July 2017
    Vocals and acoustic instruments. Female vocals 'specially; stringed instruments in particular. Does a nice job with brass and woodwinds, too. Finally, I have heard, to date, no other loudspeaker that reproduces a piano's real sound as well as the Altec Duplex. The Quad "ESL-57" is good, but doesn't quite get the heft of a real piano (think Steinway concert grand, in a good room). A good piano isn't tinkly sounding (although any piano I could actually afford is kind of tinkly sounding!).

Why does the system do what it does? (I'd like to think) because I've worked on the system, for years, to do just that, after my first (distorted, for lack of a better word!) glimpse of the joy of single-ended vacuum tube amplification, high-sensitivity loudspeakers and music. First glimpse of the "real-ness" that route could bring was with a Decware "Zen" SE-84B (single-ended EL84 for a little more than 1 wpc) and (ahem) a 1974 pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. First track I heard with that combination was Sarah McLachlan's beautiful, elegiac song Angel, and it made me cry. Heck, I am getting goosebumps remembering it.

Am I anywhere near on-topic vis-a-vis your request? :/

EDIT: PS Yeah, I am drawn to a this topic like a moth to a flame :)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    At last visit to NC....dynamics. Eases in to a soft vocal passage with insruments. But on demand power for a sudden impact without faltering notes.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Cost very little.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Get me in trouble w/ the Wifey. :#
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Get me in trouble w/ the Wifey. :#

Gets my wifey in the mood ;) ....you're playing the wrong songs, sonny B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    edited July 2017
    nbrowser wrote: »
    My rig? What is does best? It does nothing "best"...matter of fact it does everything WRONG. Why do I say this? First it's a hybrid 2 channel/HT. Secondly...I use that nasty tone control stuff. Third, my SDA set up is not completely optimal but it works. How do I think it sounds? To my ears and my tastes...PERFECT. See, don't need to have the best to get to perfect...flaws can be pleasing to the ear listening to it.

That's why you rock, Ken......
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Hones my skills at hiding all the new gear and slowly integrating it so that the woman doesn't notice until it's been there so long she doesn't remember what the old stuff was. :D
    The RTA 11Ts have gone unnoticed AFAIK, and I had to tell her about the amp change...

So far, it's working :#
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    The Kef LS50 wireless image like crazy. Sounds go way beyond the physical boundaries. I am near field and the sweet spot is wide so you don't have to hold your head in a vice or sound changed moving a foot in either direction. Piano and percussion like old Santana music had just pops right out.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,385
    edited July 2017
    What it does right is put a grin on my face! A big toothy grin too!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,891
    I believe my rig shines most on vinyl but I feel that has to do with my TT and Phono Pre, everything just seems to gel the best with my SDA,s when playing vinyl.

The sound stage seems more realistic with the warmth vinyl can give. It seems deeper/blacker, and the bass also seems to be tighter as well.

Not that I have complaints with the rest of my system as I am very happy with it, but till the day comes that I can afford a Pass Labs amp, I plan on keeping what I have for the time being..

Now if I just had more time listening to vinyl I would be happy...
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Mine keeps me off the streets and that is a great benifit to the whole community. Other than that it is hard to say, maybe reveals bad recordings? Funny thing is that my hybrid rig which does not sound nearly as good does this even better. But I digress, what is does best is keep me broke.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    I hear a lot of detail in my system. In older tunes I'm familiar with I hear things I don't remember hearing before. A cymbal or chime that I didn't know existed in the passage. Vocals are clearer, too, and seem to be separated from the music, if that makes sense. My system is also good at giving my tv a rest--I don't turn it (tv) on much anymore, and I don't miss it a bit.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I can't remember as i haven't turned it on in close to 3 weeks now.
    I guess what it does best is to look pretty sitting idle... :/
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,022
    ^^^ What you need is a good phono preamp!
    Wait, what?

:/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    What it does right is put a grin on my face! A big toothy grin too!

Same here. That is its purpose, and it does it very well.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Now that I have had some time with the Venere's, I have a whole new appreciation for scale.

It's amazing what happens when the soundstage is less congested and the music has a chance to do its thing!

I also LOVE the low level listening detail of my 2ch system now. I don't always get to really open up my system with 2 little kids in the house. It's nice to have detail and impact even without cranking up the volume knob.
  • treitz3
    edited July 2017
    What I think my rig does best is the spectrum from top to bottom with crystal clear clarity on the entire spectrum. It's simply a well balanced system that has authority along with precision, speed and finesse all at the same time.

The bass and mid bass can hit you in the chest, go through your core with pressure and precision that many rigs can't touch and as quick as it hits? It's gone. The cymbals and chimes, horns and string instruments have a finesse about them that will surprise you with the realism, clarity, texture and roll off, no matter how demanding the passage may get. Everything is separated, there is zero congestion whatsoever, unless it's present in the recording.

It does not matter what volume level one listens at, it can be at 8:30 on the dial late at night or 11:30 on the dial (which the neighbors will feel) and what I really like about what I have designed is that you can truly experience the performance at all listening levels. It doesn't HAVE to be loud. Just pick a volume that represents what you would hear the performance live with, sit back and simply enjoy the performance.

I would rate my rig's second best ability as letting you know exactly what type of venue you are in. Take the album below for example if any of you have it...

FIMSA029-Large.jpg

You can take a trip of the world with this SACD on my rig. You know exactly what kind of venue you are in. One moment you are in a massive hall with hundreds of singers and an orchestra and the next, you are in an intimate club with a small jazz ensemble. The next moment, you are somewhere completely different and the spatial locational cues are not subtle.

Another aspect that I can truly appreciate is that I designed this system to sound great on all recordings, not just sound superb at one certain genre, at the expense of another. I can go from heavy rock like Rage Against the Machine, right to James Taylor, straight to jazz and on to a live concert in any genre. It does not matter what I throw at it, everything I throw at it, it sounds great.

If you look at my signature, I have desired to achieve excellence. It may have taken me well over a decade of serious designing, observing other rigs, auditioning a plethora of gear in and out of my rig and plenty of experimenting but I do believe I have achieved my goal. Achieving excellence. For that, I am proud and I enjoy my rig's sonic signature and end result as to what hits these ears immensely.

Maybe that's what I should have put as what my rig does best? The end result as to what hits these ears....

Tom

Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    Jeeze Tom...brag much?
  • treitz3
    edited July 2017
    Jeez Russ. Can I not be honest on this board? When you get down to Carverfest this year, I have full confidence that you will be bragging (as you say) about my system as well. There isn't much out there I have heard that can touch it without going over a threshold that could afford to purchase a new Ferrari or two.

Even then, I have observed systems well over 1M that couldn't hold a candle to what I hear daily. With that said, I have heard systems under 750K that best mine in certain arenas. I have heard 300K systems that come close with some things better, some things worse. I guess it would boil down to flavor at that point but I have designed my rig to sound the way I want it to sound.

Price means absolutely not one damned thing to me.....and it shouldn't to others as well. The end result is the ONLY thing that should matter.

You know me.....I still have my gripes (always will) but I am finding out that 95% of the time, it's the recording and not the rig. With that said, I still have my gripes. You know full damned well how picky I am when it comes to reproductive sonic efforts.

In full disclosure, even though I am at where I am at with my rig, the list of deficiencies is still just as long as it was when I first started. There is simply no way a system can offer the likes of real sound.

Case in point, the family and I went to a Knights baseball game last night. At the end of the game that we lost miserably to, they held a fireworks show. I had mentioned to Kimmie that THIS is what I wanted my system to sound like. Will it happen? Not in a million years but it's still a gripe. Am I as close as I can get without spending 5 times my house to get closer to the "real" sound and impact of actual fireworks? Yes.

I am nowhere near "actual" though and never will be. I realize that.

With that said, is there any reason not to be proud of what I have accomplished? When you hear the rig, you will know and have a reference. At that point, you tell me....am I bragging or simply chatting about audio like I always have over the years?

BTW, shut up Russ.

LOL (ya' big ol' redneck farmer tan, goat and sheep lovin' putz.)

Tom
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Well if that isn't a retort, I don't know what is.
    It also feels like a challenge...

... Looking up Carver fest now...
  • txcoastal1
    Russ or Tom T"reitz" :D:D:D
    Get a copy of 3 cello's Bang Bang...it was a reference for Russ for big sound stage 2015 LSAF...It will also center your system
    Not the greatest song but it works.
    https://youtu.be/vvyW96akH6U
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• lightman1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Get a copy of 3 cello's Bang Bang...it was a reference for Russ for big sound stage 2015 LSAF...It will also center your system
    Not the greatest song but it works.
    https://youtu.be/vvyW96akH6U

Bullseye! Every follicle on my arms stood up when this song was played on Rons set up.
  • lightman1
    treitz3 wrote: »
    With that said, is there any reason not to be proud of what I have accomplished? When you hear the rig, you will know and have a reference. At that point, you tell me....am I bragging or simply chatting about audio like I always have over the years?

BTW, shut up Russ.

LOL (ya' big ol' redneck farmer tan, goat and sheep lovin' putz.)

Tom

;) It's been a pleasure and at times, hysterically funny, seeing your journey over the years, Tom.
    Kudos to you, snapperhead.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    It disappears and delivers an incredible soundstage in a difficult room.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • txcoastal1
    It's easier to take simple passage reference music to zero in your room, then add the complex stuff.

• treitz3
    Get a copy of 3 cello's Bang Bang...it was a reference for Russ for big sound stage 2015 LSAF...

Is there a "best" version of this or is it CD or LP only with no better offering?

Do tell...

Tom Reitz to Ron :D

• txcoastal1
    edited July 2017
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Get a copy of 3 cello's Bang Bang...it was a reference for Russ for big sound stage 2015 LSAF...

Is there a "best" version of this or is it CD or LP only with no better offering?

Do tell...

Tom Reitz to Ron :D

It was a digital on my NAS, don't remember where it came from. Might have been from B&W reference music play list

But your speakers, and my ex-Dyn C4's would be a fair comparison ...IMHO

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    I can't say it does one thing better than the rest. It's got scale, dynamics, excellent tone, to die for vocals, nice decay, detail and micro detail....layers of it, cymbals sound like cymbals...very hard to get right, clean...tight...thunderous bass, doesn't sound loud even when it's really effing LOUD.

I guess the short version is I'd call it musical.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk