Time to Replace My Onkyo 805 (RIP)

Options
I've been overseas from my A/V setup the past 5 months and have one heck of an itch to fix when I get back to my place. What will be the best replacement for an Onkyo 805 that supports 4k HDR?

I recently found a Samsung 65KS8500 for a hair over $1k refurbished last week that will be the new centerpiece of everything.

Right now I have...
- RTi12 Mains
- CSi5 Center
- 12" Klipsch Sub (Forget the model)

I plan on adding 4 bass shakers that I haven't yet installed. I'll split the signal to them in addition to FMOD-ing them below 50hz.

Also looking at adding a pair of OWM3's as rear channels as I just don't have the space for anything larger. Eventually, though, I have a complete set of RTi's including the dipole(bi?) pair. I would then switch the OWM's to height speakers.

Main use case for the system will be movies and video games. I'll be getting the Xbox One X when it's released mainly for the HDR support. I'll stick to the TV's built in Netflix and Amazon apps for other 4k content. May even spring for a 4k Chromecast if it's worth it.

To align with my other smart home products I'll also be getting a Harmony hub so that I can control everything via my Google Assistant devices.

I've been looking at the Yamaha RX-A3060BL, 2060, 1060 in addition to some others. With my current setup, is it even worth spending that amount of money?
Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    No need to look any further. Those Aventage models sound fantastic and are ultra reliable. You may add ext. amp for your mains or be sure they are cut off at 80hz or so to help take the load off the AVR.

I have an RTI based HT with RTI12s also and an AVENTAGE 1010. Its powers the five channels with no sweat but have them all set to small. However I had the Emotiva XPA1s on the RTI12's for a while to push them to their potential, which was wonderful, but not necessary if you have decent sub in the mix.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Options
    Think there's any benefit going beyond the 1060? For just 5 speakers and a relatively small space I can't see myself getting another $300 or $700 benefit by springing for the higher models.

Sadly, won't be amping my mains outside of an AVR until I'm in a new location.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    There's always benefits to be had even for a small space, it really comes down to what you can be happy with. The 1060 will sound great though. The others probably a little better as they have additional additional/better DACs and amps. For me the 10XX was good enough and has served me well for several years.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    The Yamaha is a solid choice. Before you toss the 805, Onkyo had been fixing HDMI board failures free of charge even if out of warranty. Not sure if that is still the case, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Was there mention of a HDMI board failure, I didn't see it.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Another dead Onkyo. The shock!

The Yamaha 1060 would work great for you and you could add an amp down the line if you want.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited July 2017
    Options

No, but that is the usual cause of death with that era Onkyo/Integra. Made an assumption, possibly incorrect.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Oh I agree with you. I thought the same thing.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Rui and Yamaha are a pre at combination for movies.

Shouldn't have a problem using a 10xx, at moderate volumes, with the RTI12's.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Rui and Yamaha are a pre at combination for movies.
    Wha'choo tawkin' about Willis?
    tsqfxsp2pcoe.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    RTI and Yamaha are a great combination for movies...I think ;)
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have a problem using a 10xx, at moderate volumes, with the RTI12's.

Perfect this is what I was mainly concerned with. Would love to amp down the line.

DaveHo wrote: »

No, but that is the usual cause of death with that era Onkyo/Integra. Made an assumption, possibly incorrect.

Actually is an issue with the amplifier. My front channels cut out frequently so I've been using an Onkyo M282 that I had laying around to power the mains the past few months.

Any comments/complaints about the OWM3's as rears? Not opposed to others. Just need something small and looks halfway decent.

• pjd2011
    Options
    Ended up getting the 1060 and absolutely love it for movies. Music...I actually prefer the 805's Pro Logic Music setting but the immersion the 1060 makes is worth it.

Looking forward to hooking up my bass shakers to really finish out the system!
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Nice!