MW6511 Issues/Questions

2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017
    Pretty interesting as I just had a #6511 go bad on me but in my 2Bs. No raw speakers for replacement on the WTB site or E-Bay so I'm getting a new one from Polk. Now when they were working it looked like they were pumping in tandem w/ the #6503 next to it. ( cabinets sealed w/ Liquid Nails, new gaskets and Larry's Rings)
    I do have a question. The beat driver had 2 dates on it. One in black I think saying Jan '88 and then in red stamped Dec '87. Is one date the speaker born on date and the later date the mating of speaker to cabinet. ???

Have not had our's apart in a long time,, but going from memory, I think a few of our vintage models, had all kinda stuff written on them, but forget exactly what dates, but almost looked like they were woofers that were "Re-used" or something.

They said they were for some specific models, that were not even the model they were in, and even after asking the original owner, they were bought brand new in a box and never taken apart....odd.....

I know they say they use specific woofers for certain models, but was Polk in the habit back then, of using just any woofer they happened to have laying around?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Pretty interesting as I just had a #6511 go bad on me but in my 2Bs. No raw speakers for replacement on the WTB site or E-Bay so I'm getting a new one from Polk. Now when they were working it looked like they were pumping in tandem w/ the #6503 next to it. ( cabinets sealed w/ Liquid Nails, new gaskets and Larry's Rings)
    I do have a question. The beat driver had 2 dates on it. One in black I think saying Jan '88 and then in red stamped Dec '87. Is one date the speaker born on date and the later date the mating of speaker to cabinet. ???
    Could have been when certain tests were done Lew.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    K_M wrote: »
    They said they were for some specific models, that were not even the model they were in, and even after asking the original owner, they were bought brand new in a box and never taken apart....odd.....

I know they say they use specific woofers for certain models, but was Polk in the habit back then, of using just any woofer they happened to have laying around?
    My SDA 1Bs have drivers labeled "For SRS 2" or some-such. The blade/blade SRS 2 and the SDA 1B are essentially the same speakers with the SRS 2 having a larger bassive radiator and larger cabinet. Both use 6509 midwoofers in all four positions.

I can imagine that the other models of drivers would be labeled for the top-line speaker they were intended for, even if they were installed in a lower-line speaker they happened to be "correct" for.