Keep blowing tweeters in 12B

Options
CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,549
Any idea why the same speaker keeps losing tweeters? Could a bad cap or resistor be the cause? When i got them the peerless were already blown. I put sl2000 in and lost one of them. Now i just lost a sl1000. They are pushed by my Parasound 2250. I run them hard every once in awhile but not to the point I would expect to be losing drivers.

So now im playing the SRS 2 in place until i get the 12B back up. Maybe i should do the x overs before i put any more tweeters in????

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    For starters the SL1000 and SL2000 are not compatible with those speakers, but I kind of doubt that's the cause of the failures.

Exactly where is the volume control level when you're running them hard?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Any idea why the same speaker keeps losing tweeters? Could a bad cap or resistor be the cause?
    Sure. Kinda unusual, but not impossible. A shorted cap would pass bass to the tweeter.

CH46E wrote: »
    Maybe i should do the x overs before i put any more tweeters in????
    Wisdom. Even if the crossover isn't the problem, it's still got ancient capacitors in it that are degrading the signal.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Isn't there a fuse protecting the tweeters?
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    What is your source. Sounds like the amp is clippin to blow tweets?
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    For starters the SL1000 and SL2000 are not compatible with those speakers, but I kind of doubt that's the cause of the failures.

I believe the crossovers are the same for all tweeter versions of the 12Bs actually.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

I believe the crossovers are the same for all tweeter versions of the 12Bs actually.

One would have to check the schematics to be certain as there is a revised rta12b as well
  • CH46E
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I decided to go take a look at the fuse. I forgot it was there. I had to use a magnifying glass to see the tiny break in the fuse. But is was there. Small and not burn marks that you ussually look for.

Thanks for mentioning the fuse. I will replace it tomorrow.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    Fuses are best checked for continuity with a DMM (or VOM or VTVM, or what have you) rather than visually.

I learned that the good ol' fashioned way -- from bitter experience ;)
  • Faustin
    Options
    If I remember correctly the c/o's for the 12b's are all the same. I believe the only difference on the revised schematic was a tweeter change.
  • CH46E
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Looking at the schematic i think it was only a fuse that was changed from the oem to the revised. Its the fuse right before the 750pf silver micas. In the rev. Schematic i dont reconize the icon that replaced the fuse.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    That would be the polyswitch. Basically a self resetting fuse.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Faustin wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the c/o's for the 12b's are all the same. I believe the only difference on the revised schematic was a tweeter change.

I dont think i have ever seen a 12B with anythung other (oem anyways) than the Peerless. Which is part of my delima. Do i wait untill i find some old Peerless (and who knows if they have been abused or not) or doni just go with some 194 or 198. Maybe i shoild call Polk and see if i do go with a 194 or 8 if they recommend any value changes to the xovers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Midwest sells an exact replacement Peerless.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CH46E
    Options

Oh man, thats right. I completely forgor ypu told me about that! Again, thanks!
  • CH46E
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I bypassed the fuse with a jumper because i dont have the right replacment. Just wanted to see if the tweeter would work. It does. So i will order some more fuses.

BUT..... now i have lost a sub amp. I noticed as soon as i started listening at an elevated level i notices the bass was boomy and sloppy. I checked the driver with ohms and its ok. The plate amp in the closet powers on and should have been warm but the heatsink is cold.

Ill just leave both subs off for now. Good thing the SRS 2's dont need a sub.

If its not one thing, its another! Eerrrg
  • CH46E
    Options

I was looking at the midwest replacment. When you say "exact replacement" do you mean in physical size and appearance? Or you mean it should have at least close to the same specs as the Peerless? So much so i should use them instead of going to a 194? Physically besides the hole in the middle of the driver they look very similar. I can see it would bolt right in.

Thanks again F1.
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Options
    The replacements are the same size as the original Peerless and SL1000. Other forum members have had positive things to say about their sound.

Original Peerless in decent condition pop up on eBay and usually for less money.

The RD-0194s are a slightly different size. Some minor cabinet modification would be needed.

My two cents - hunt for the original Peerless.
  • Faustin
    Options
    My two cents - hunt for the original Peerless.

I agree. And consider the c/o overhaul. You won't be disappointed.
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I went for the RD-0194's for my 12C's and couldn't be happier. The replaced SL1000's which were what they came with from Polk.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    the peerless are decent Tweeters..the RDO Tweeters are special to me & I have had my ears on the RDO-194's and the RDO 198's.

if it wasn't for Skip and those dang Ushers Diamond Tweeters I probably like them still :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD