Hyundai Sante Fe Sport- anyone have/had one?

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
I am planning on a new vehicle in the late Fall/Winter and was thinking about getting my first SUV. Not sure I really need one, rather than another sedan, but there are now, I think, more of them and pickups on the road than sedans and I like the idea of sitting a bit higher off the road surface.

Hyundai is my model of choice mainly because my brother-in-law works for them at the plant in Alabama and I can get his fairly substantial discount on top of any rebates. The other possibility would be a Chevy since my son-in-law sells them and I can get his discount. I just have never been a Chevy fan.

So far, I haven't even test driven one, just sat in a new one and checked out the feel and look of the interior. Being on a car chassis, it didn't really sit much higher.

So, anyone here have any familiarity with the Santa Fe? Would you recommend one? No mountains around me and very little snow or ice and my drive to work is back roads, not much traffic.

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Take the Hyundai all day long over the Chevy.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Different model, same company. My brother bought a Hyundai Genesis and I have to say it's an impressively nice car.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    F1nut wrote: »
    Different model, same company. My brother bought a Hyundai Genesis and I have to say it's an impressively nice car.

The Genesis is the other model I considered from them, I drove one a couple years ago and liked it, but I think they stopped making it. I think the Azera is their top sedan now.
  • F1nut
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

The Genesis is the other model I considered from them, I drove one a couple years ago and liked it, but I think they stopped making it. I think the Azera is their top sedan now.

They still make them. https://www.genesis.com/us/en/genesis-g80.html

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Hyundai has come a long long way since the early 1990s when I had a friend whose Elantra burst into flames going over a bridge.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I had an 08 and still have a 10 Santa Fe both bought brand new. I don't have a negative word to say about either. I believe the sport version has the 2 liter turbo? I have one of those motors in my 11 Sonata and it is impressively powerful (274hp) for such a small motor.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    The Santa Fe Sport's turbo 2.0 is 246 hp. Not 274. Just an FYI

A buddy just got the 2.0T Santa Fe Sport. It's nice enough and Hyundai has come a long way from it's early days. As long as you keep the extras minimal it seems like a good bang for the buck choice.

Another buddy got a 2017 Elantra Sport and he's always trying to compare it to my 2017 GTi and there is no comparison, the GTi is better in every way, but also $6-8K more. I was impressed with both of my buddies purchases, especially for the $$$. If the GF needs a new car I'd encourage her to look at a Santa Fe.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jimbo18
    edited July 2017
    I had an 08 and still have a 10 Santa Fe both bought brand new. I don't have a negative word to say about either. I believe the sport version has the 2 liter turbo? I have one of those motors in my 11 Sonata and it is impressively powerful (274hp) for such a small motor.

Thanks, good to know.

There are two choices of engine in the Sport model. The 2.0 turbo and the standard engine is the 2.4L with 185HP. My brother-in-law actually test drives the Santa Fe for them and he told me to stick with the 2.4L. More problems, according to him, with the turbo.

The Sport model is slightly shorter than the "regular" Santa Fe and only has 2 rows of seating. I think the 185HP will be fine for the kind of driving I do. And the turbo base price is over $6,000 more.
  • Jimbo18

Thanks, my bad. On the Hyundai website, they have the sedans grouped together, and then the Genesis has it's own section.

Might be too much money for me, but if I don't go with an SUV, that might be an option.
  • F1nut
    heiney9 wrote: »

He was speaking of the 2011 Sonata, which is 274 hp.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9

I see. thanks for the clarification. The OP is looking at a new one, correct? Or is he looking at a 2011.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jimbo18

I see. thanks for the clarification. The OP is looking at a new one, correct? Or is he looking at a 2011.

Looking at a 2017 leftover, probably. Whatever has the best rebate when I am ready to buy. Several more payments left on my wife's Altima before I can buy.

The employee family discount is about $4,000 and I get another $500 as a veteran, and then whatever the current rebate is on top of that. Right now it's up to $6,000 so about $10,500 off the sticker price. Hard to think I can do better with a different brand.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    With the extra discounts that seems like a great deal to me. The only thing that's keeping me from buying another new Santa Fe is the outrageous taxes we have to pay here in Connectitax.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Hyundai has come a long long way since the early 1990s when I had a friend whose Elantra burst into flames going over a bridge.

Was the bridge crossing causal or only correlated? ;)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421

Was it this bridge?

zcmpjyequ886.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited July 2017

Thanks, my bad. On the Hyundai website, they have the sedans grouped together, and then the Genesis has it's own section.

Might be too much money for me, but if I don't go with an SUV, that might be an option.

Hyundai recently split Genesis as its own entity. Like Toyota has Lexus and Honda has Acura, Hyundai has Genesis.

I've owned a 2013 Elantra and my wife now has a 2016 Tucson. Had the Elantra for 3 years and my wife's Tucson going on 2 years. Both vehicles have been trouble free. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another Hyundai in the future.
  • heiney9
    $10,500 off sticker really makes it a no-brainer on the Hyundai.

H9
  • Jimbo18

H9

Yeah, kinda hard to even consider anything else, unless I drive it and just don't like it for some reason. It won't always be that much, it depends on the rebate at the time I buy, but obviously, I will wait for the right one.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

H9

Of course then you have to wonder just how much the price is inflated. I assume the dealer wants to make a couple of dollars. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Jimbo18
    BlueFox wrote: »

H9

Of course then you have to wonder just how much the price is inflated. I assume the dealer wants to make a couple of dollars. :)

Supposedly it's off the sticker price, and the dealer still gets whatever he would get from Hyundai, he just doesn't get anything above that, I guess. The discount also includes "paperwork" and "destination" fees.
  • mhardy6647
    Holy cow, not cheap -- good thing it's $10k off.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-fe-sport
  • Jimbo18
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Holy cow, not cheap -- good thing it's $10k off.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/santa-fe-sport

Yeah, the package I want runs about $31,500, not cheap but not bad with a big discount.
  • Emlyn
    $6K to $7K off sticker is common from dealers in my area for 2017s. They still make money on those deals.

The MSRP on a fully loaded 2018 Santa Fe Sport can poke just above $40K now.
  • Emlyn

Was the bridge crossing causal or only correlated? ;)

Both! She was stuck on the bridge in traffic going into DC. Fortunately, a truck driver behind her had a fire extinguisher.

• mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    $6K to $7K off sticker is common from dealers in my area for 2017s. They still make money on those deals.

The MSRP on a fully loaded 2018 Santa Fe Sport can poke just above $40K now.

Yeah, the Car & Driver link had an 'as-tested' price of $40k. Seems steep to me for an SUV of that size. $30k = O.K. :)

I have this little rule -- I won't pay more for a car than we paid for our first house ($41k).
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have this little rule -- I won't pay more for a car than we paid for our first house ($41k).

Then I can get a $163k car. That sounds like a good rule for speakers. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Uhh...I think for speakers it's no more than the price of your first (real) car...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647

Well -- Mrs. H says that technically, she bought our first house (as she was employed, I was still in grad school, and we weren't yet married). By her reckoning, the first house "I" bought was the one we had in Milpitas... which was just a hair under $300k. So, I guess I can look at entry-level Ferraris next time?

I'll still stick with sub-$40k vehicles... 'til there aren't any to be had any more.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    We drove nearly every SUV under 40K before we bought our Pilot last year. The Kia Sorento, close cousin of the SanteFe was runner-up. Was nearly the same cost as the Pilot. One of the deciding factors was resale value. Even though the Hyundai/Kia's have come a long way, resale value is still not that great. Though with a 10K discount you'll probably come out ahead anyway.
  • mhardy6647
    mmm -- the Pilots I've seen were north of $50k(?!)