Mustang any good in the twisties?

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
I am starting to research new cars to replace my 2005 Mazda 3 I bought in October 2004. Anyway, I am all over the place at this point. I have never owned a car with an automatic, and I am not sure if I want my last car to be an automatic. Right now I am thinking a new Mazda 3, BMW 3, BMW 4, and the Mustang. I can get a manual with those models.

On the other hand, I also am considering the Mazda CX-5, and Lexus NS for a slightly bigger vehicle, but with an automatic.

Since I can do a lot of mountain driving, good handling is a primary item. I know the Mustang can be fast in a straight line, but how is it on the twisties?
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    My wife has a CX5 and loves it. I got a Mazda 6 and really enjoy it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2017
    Bud, automatics are nothing like they were. Take a few for a test drive. Heck, F1 cars are basically automatic these days. One day even Nascar will catch up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Direct shift gear boxes are essentially manuals transmissions, but drive like auto's, and they are awesome. Some of them loaded with launch control straight from the factory.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited July 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bud, automatics are nothing like they were. Take a few for a test drive. Heck, F1 cars are basically automatic these days. One day even Nascar will catch up.

That is absolutely, technologically, true -- and I realize that not having to take the time to shift is valuable when milliseconds count (e.g., in racing). I also realize that some of the massively torque-y engines pretty much require automatics (manual clutches can't take the stress)... but, perhaps like Bluefox, I just plain don't like automatics.

1) too darned complicated (and more so now than ever).
    2) too darned expensive to fix.
    3) too darned unreliable. They just don't seem to last more than 150k miles* or so (and they're essentially irreparable and must be replaced); heck, I am used to my clutches lasting at least that long!
    4) they take one whole dimension of driver interaction (coordination of the decision to shift, clutching and shifting) out of the "driving experience".

Besides, a manual transmission in 2017 is probably the best anti-theft device extant! ;)

Sorry for the tirade :/

* Although I was pleased, surprised, and surpressed that the CVT in Mrs. H's Escape hybrid was trouble-free for 246k miles! But CVTs have fallen out of fashion already; replaced by these eight and nine-speed AT monstrosities.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Bud, sounds like what you really need is a motorcycle B)

In all seriousness, a high torque, rear wheel drive for mountain twisties sounds like a not so ideal situation. Then again, so does a motorcycle.

A friend had another Mustang, 2013 model, though, so, older. I've always liked them but felt them a little brutish and cludgy in comparison to the imports, and the ergos don't suit me. Monsters though. Did seem sticky in aggressive driving, though, even though my buddy liked to break his loose.

Seats will play a role in handling perception, right?

Does BMW offer x-drive in the 4 series these days?
    I disabled signatures.
  • quickr1
    quickr1 Posts: 414
    Have you considered the camaro with the 1le handling package? It is available on the v6 and 4 cylinder models. Along with the v8 model. From what I read even just the the normal SS version handles pretty well.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Not considering the mx-5?
    I've got the 2000 model and it has no problems in the turns.
    I'd upgrade to the new one, no questions asked.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Besides, a manual transmission in 2017 is probably the best anti-theft device extant! ;)

A WHOLE LOT OF TRUTH TO THIS STATEMENT!!

My son wanted a manual Toyota and bought one. After three says of trying to teach him to drive it i let him go on his own. I was scared to death for him as he just wasn't getting it. A week later it was totaled. It was not his fault but still I was glad it was gone. I do not know why the younger generation seem to not be as acoordinated enough to grasp the concept.

But you're correct Doc most would still be trying to steal the vehicle when the law showed up.

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    What fun an American V8, rear wheel drive car with a standard transmission.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Can you fit in a Miata? If so don't discount that one, it's a true classical sports car
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Love mine.. It truly is an adult go-kart.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited July 2017
    As long as it's the current generation mustang with the independent suspension. Otherwise...An inexpensive sports car that handles well, I would look at the Subaru BRZ.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited July 2017
    The latest Mustangs handle great. Have for the last few years. I really like the V6/Manual combination, but unfortunately, once Ford came out with the Ecoboost, they really castrated the V6 offerings. You really can't get any options on the V6 model anymore. Can't get the 3.55 rear end, can't get the performance package with larger brakes, etc., can't get the Recaro seats... you get the picture.

Also, 2017 will be the last year for the V6.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BlueFox
    Lots of good info here. Most likely this will be the last car I buy, so it has to last, and be fun. At least a little. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    edited July 2017
    Bluefox,
    A couple of questions:
    - You mention the mountains. Does that mean you are going to be driving in snow/ice?
    - Is it going to be your daily driver/only car?

I ask, because most of the cars you mentioned are rwd and if you are looking at driving in the snow, then it might not be the best idea. I have had mazda 6 and bmw 3 series of the last 3 generations(first two were rwd the current one is awd). I did fine with rwd for about 12 years, but the current one is the last generation bmw awd coupe (e 92). New bmws and audis awds are rear wheel drive biased full time awd. BMWs have always been rwd biased, but audis were always fwd biased until recently (last generation). The newest audi A4 are again fwd based. The said quattro is fwd all the time and goes to awd only when required. Not good in my book.
    AWD are much better in getting traction than their rwd counter parts. I used to be really worried to take my previous bmw 3/5 series to mountains here in Colorado. Never got stuck, but there was an ever present fear of getting stuck in an uphill incline and not able to gain traction to move.
    After owning an quattro audi a4 and the x-drive 3 series, I dont think I will ever go back to rwd car as my only car. However, if it is my second car that can stay in garage for when it snows, rwd wins the choice every time.

Caution, I will be the first one to tell you that bmw has lost its charm of being a good handling car. The best combination of responsive steering and comfort in any BMW I had was with the e39 (2003 530i series, rwd). The most fun 3 series to drive was e46(2001 325 ci coupe, rwd). I have owned 4 bmws in my lifetime and all have been the inline 6 engines. The current BMW 3 series I own is an e92( 2009 328i x-drive, awd). The steering response is as good as the e39 I owned, but there is understeer(typical of awd), and the suspension is a little too stiff for being stock (search for "pot hole explosion bmw"). I dont like the tubro charged 4 cylinder cars at all. The diesel like noise it makes just doesnt work for me. That was the reason we sold our audi A4 quattro. It checked every box, but just couldnt live with that ticking noise from the engine after owning Bmw inline 6 cylinder equipped cars for 12 years. Apparently all the 4 cylinder turbo cars make that noise. Oh the gift of direct injection.

Plus, the new 3 series (F30) on rwd cars are electric steering, which is numb, almost prius like. Only x-drive cars come equipped with hydraulic steering, which I still consider gives you most feel of the road but then you loose the rwd nimbleness.

Mustangs have gotten better, specially new ones are much better in the twisties I heard. And they are a lot cheaper than buying a new 3/4 series 340/440i (comparing the power levels of top trims). I will never buy a car that has less than 6 cylinders.

SUVs are never in my radar, I feel they are just a big box on top of sedan chassis. Makes handling way worst and takes too much space for no reason. For that once a year home depot trip, I will rent a uhaul.
    Much better alternative are wagons. I and the wifey are looking at 3 series wagons and audi allroads. Its sad that audi stopped sending their A4/A6 avants of this generation here to the states. Another car that we really want to test drive/purchase is 4 series grand coupe. Its a toss up right now between the grand coupes (S5 sport back/440i xdrive GC/ A4 all road/ 3 series wagon).

But there are two out of production cars that we are constantly looking for to purchase if a good one ever comes for sale. Those two are 6 series grand coupe and a 2010+ jaguar xk coupe. A good example never comes up for sale though. :neutral:

Check out jaguar xe and xfs. They have gotten much better and can rival their german counterparts(3 and 5 series)/a4 and a6) in every way. They are equipped with the new 8 speed automatics which are miles ahead of those 4-5 speed autos we are used to.

I grew up riding motor cycles and I would love to have a manual car. But with all the traffic I drive along, automatic is the way to go. The new ones are much better. Plus the new cars are not really built to last. They are disposables. So, if you are planning to keep the car for 150k miles(10 years driving 15k miles per year), the other parts of the car will break before the the transmission. So, not really a big worry for me.

People will say a lot about european/german cars breaking down and paying out of the nose to repair anything. However, I had worst luck with honda and mazda. I have had one jaguar (S type), 4 bmws (three 3 series, one 5 series), one audi (A4 quattro), a maza 6, honda accord and mitsubishi eclipse. The one that needed least repair/maintenance was the 5 series.

One advise I can give you is: Buy the car you want, you like and be prepared for out of warranty repair costs if you plan to keep it past warranty. I do a lot of research and there are definite must have lists when I go shopping. If the car doesnt come with everything I have in the list, I dont even test drive it. A car is a big expense, so why compromise? With the German cars, the mechanics will just quote you double the price just by looking at the badge. I work on my cars and I love working on them. Gives me assurance that the job is done right and I save money too :smile:

Good luck with your search

Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    DSkip wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

A WHOLE LOT OF TRUTH TO THIS STATEMENT!!

My son wanted a manual Toyota and bought one. After three says of trying to teach him to drive it i let him go on his own. I was scared to death for him as he just wasn't getting it. A week later it was totaled. It was not his fault but still I was glad it was gone. I do not know why the younger generation seem to not be as acoordinated enough to grasp the concept.

But you're correct Doc most would still be trying to steal the vehicle when the law showed up.

A lack of great teachers. o:)

In all seriousness and no jab at you, I struggled with driving a stick after my mom taught me. After my dad saw me struggling days later, he got in and taught me a different way. I never struggled again and in short order was driving a stick well.

HA HA I doubt that it was my teaching. I started driving large tractors and grain trucks at 13. Kids these days are not lucky enough to be able to do that. I'm sure he would of picked up on it with practice. He struggled with when to know when to downshift and starting at stops. When he got his second car that novelty of a stick was not there he wanted no part of it. I showed him if the RPM's were right there was no need for the clutch in up shifting as it would just fall into gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I have been looking hard at the Jaguar XE to replace my 2004 XJ. The car handles like the F-type and performs better imho than the 3 series.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    When I say mountains I mean CA mountains in the spring, summer, fall. If I decide to try skiing again then I will go with the AWD CX-5, or NSX. I drive everyday in CA commute traffic, and a manual doesn't bother me. However, I once had knee surgery on my left knee, so I had to put the seat all the way back and stiff leg the clutch. The car jumped like a manual transmission beginner was at the wheel. LOL

At this point I am bouncing around between a little luxury, or just practicality. The more I spend on a car then the less I can spend on the stereo. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    BlueFox wrote: »
    When I say mountains I mean CA mountains in the spring, summer, fall. If I decide to try skiing again then I will go with the AWD CX-5, or NSX. I drive everyday in CA commute traffic, and a manual doesn't bother me. However, I once had knee surgery on my left knee, so I had to put the seat all the way back and stiff leg the clutch. The car jumped like a manual transmission beginner was at the wheel. LOL

At this point I am bouncing around between a little luxury, or just practicality. The more I spend on a car then the less I can spend on the stereo. :)

Then you should definitely go with a rwd ragtop vert. :smile:
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I vote for the NSX :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    NSX, made right up the road in Marysville, OH. They hand build these works of automobile art.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Really a CX-5 or a NSX, am I missing something here. What are we comparing again?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • BlueFox
    Really a CX-5 or a NSX, am I missing something here. What are we comparing again?

Practicality versus luxury. Mazda doesn't have a luxury car division so they offer more in their models. The TOL AWD CX-5 is probably a better handling SUV, based on reviews, but doesn't have the extra touches, nor the name, that the NSX has. For $15K less than a NSX, I can live without the bling. However, both would be nice to have, so I have to keep my mind open for a year or two.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1

Practicality versus luxury. Mazda doesn't have a luxury car division so they offer more in their models. The TOL AWD CX-5 is probably a better handling SUV, based on reviews, but doesn't have the extra touches, nor the name, that the NSX has. For $15K less than a NSX, I can live without the bling. However, both would be nice to have, so I have to keep my mind open for a year or two.

Now you must be talking about the Lexus NX....Not the NSX

7seh8ev37u6b.jpg

wayk1lwzimmo.jpg

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• BlueFox
    edited July 2017
    Hey. What's one letter? Other than maybe $150K. LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

A whole lot of fun.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1

N$X

• txcoastal1

I that case, I would go with the Mazda, get her fully loaded, save the coin. This years new Mazda body style is really nice. May upgrade my wifes CX5

• jeremymarcinko
    Mazda CX-5 ...yawn.

A Mini Cooper would be more fun.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Jaguar... most fun I have ever had with a car.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson