Apropos of Nothing Department: BIC America "Eviction Series"

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
So, just for shoots and Googles ;) I was perusing Newegg whilst quaffing my coffee this lovely Monday morning in the north country.

I was lookin' at "speakers", and, right on the first page, I espied this abomination:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882007028

964303d8-658c-4749-83eb-6d5e82a554c6_600.jpg

oy.

So: BIC America is some sort of descendant of BIC (not the pen company!), who imported British turntables in the 1960s. BIC was best known for the 940/960/980 series of "automatic turntables" in the late 1970s -- which were, in fact, the last gasp of the once-great Voice of Music (VM) company of Buchanan, MI. VM made, arguably, the best (or at least, among the simplest and most reliable) hifi record changers (which is only sort of an oxymoron) in the 1950s and into the 1960s. BIC also made/sold loudspeakers of their own in the 1970s -- the "Formula" series (for better or worse).

It gets worse. Apparently BIC America owns (or bought rights to) the RTR brand name/trademark, and has applied it unselfconsciously to the woofers on these monstrosities.

RTR was another fairly great US hifi name, famous for plain-looking and very conventional, but well-regarded loudspeakers for home use.

Iii-lowboy.jpg

Finally, I assume that the "EV" in the titular loudspeakers' moniker refers to their proud place in the "Eviction Series" :neutral: -- but to me, it recalls, and besmirches, another proud US hifi name: Electrovoice (EV), who were once also of Buchanan, MI (synchronicitiously enough) :/

electro-voice_interface_d_loudspeaker_system.jpg

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I like the warning,

WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including one or more listed chemicals which are known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The BIC (VM) record players mentioned above, for those of you too young * too remember.

aa_sun_19760325_p025-001.jpg

Options
    I just ASSuMEd this was some sub of the pen company, ha.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    Options
    Mark,

RTR made more than just conventional monkey coffins. In 1974 I purchased a pair of RTR 280DR. These have four 10" woofers, five 2.5" tweeters, and one piezo (lemon squeezer) tweeter per cabinet. One woofer on the front, one each on left & right sides, and one downward firing. Tweeters were located above & below woofers on the front & sides, with the lemon squeezer top, front. Photo below is pulled from the web & shows them w/o grills.

I chose them over Dalquist DQ-10 (which sounded very good on most material, but every now & then sounded like five drivers not quite blending together). My RTR's are currently on loan to my daughter, and still sound great!

Note that RTR also made electrostatic tweeter arrays. Never got to hear any myself, but folks did seem to think they were pretty good.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    oh, my. oh, my.

86-508-073-S01.jpg?ex=2
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Doc, methinks you took a wrong turn on the internet somewheres...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    yup -- but at least I didn't find any cat videos there...
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mark,

RTR made more than just conventional monkey coffins. In 1974 I purchased a pair of RTR 280DR. These have four 10" woofers, five 2.5" tweeters, and one piezo (lemon squeezer) tweeter per cabinet. One woofer on the front, one each on left & right sides, and one downward firing. Tweeters were located above & below woofers on the front & sides, with the lemon squeezer top, front. Photo below is pulled from the web & shows them w/o grills.

I chose them over Dalquist DQ-10 (which sounded very good on most material, but every now & then sounded like five drivers not quite blending together). My RTR's are currently on loan to my daughter, and still sound great!

Note that RTR also made electrostatic tweeter arrays. Never got to hear any myself, but folks did seem to think they were pretty good.

Cheers, Jim
    Point taken.

I was a little unfair in my characterization of RtR, indeed. All I meant to imply was that they were, in general, big rectangular boxes festooned with (generally) cone drivers... not exactly "high tech", at least morphologically. Folks do tend to really like 'em -- although I have very little experience with them. They just weren't popular* in the mid-Atlantic area when I was coming of age.

I also neglected to mention (although I actually had meant to) that the RtR boxes tended to use pretty good component drivers (e.g., Philips and Peerless cone MR and/or tweeters, as well as CTS drivers no doubt).

FWIW, I was never all that crazy about the DQ-10s (and I'm still not).
    * Although it is widely claimed (on the internet) that RtR was somehow related to the "Synergistics" brand that Stereo Discounters (of Timonium, MD) was pushing - hard - in the aforementioned 'seventies. There was certainly some stylistic resemblance -- but I dunno.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A46U_131135985042655086aLc3MxQBPI.jpg?ex=2

Icing on the cake.
    Kinda looks like somethin' the current incarnation of McIntosh would do...

macintosh.jpg

e0187b5017ab967729459bc443cb016d.jpg
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Let me go ahead and fix that for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNlqQId-nk
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I was going to say p - r - 0 - n, but I didn't want to give Vanilla the heebie-jeebies, so I said "cat" instead.

;)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Let me go ahead and fix that for you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyNlqQId-nk

Thanks for sharing that.
    No. Really.

;)
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=3&type=15&spkrID=120

heck, they're even biampable...
    (and, to their credit, I suppose, they weigh seventy pounds each -- which isn't insubstantial)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    I believe Infinity, B&W, Fulton and others used RTR electrostatic add-on tweeters.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The "Eviction" series name just hit me. ha.
    "Buy these and you'll be the envy of all your friends and family when you get kicked out of your neighborhood!"

Here are the 'specks'
    bqkktv0n6wfu.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I believe Infinity, B&W, Fulton and others used RTR electrostatic add-on tweeters.

I am drawing a blank on their electrostatics, I must admit. I haven't knowingly encountered them "in the wild".

Oh, as a not-entirely-pointless aside (also an attempt to make myself seem slightly less of the Philistine I would appear to be on the strength of this thread), I've yet to hear a bad sounding electrostatic transducer: even the single-ended electrostatic tweeters used by Radio Shack (i.e., their OEM) in the "Electrostat-2" (and 2a) loudspeakers (and their relatives) of the 1960s into early 1970s.

043.jpg

In theory, single-ended (as opposed to push-pull) electrostatic transducer elements are terribly nonlinear... but the SE tweeters in the Electrostat-2a sound good to me.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    They were part of the Infinity Servo-Static and 2000i speakers and a part of the excellent Fulton J Module speakers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTGQ1iOn4v4
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited July 2017
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    The "Eviction" series name just hit me. ha.
    "Buy these and you'll be the envy of all your friends and family when you get kicked out of your neighborhood!"

Here are the 'specks'
    bqkktv0n6wfu.jpg

I know there's a large number of folks on another site that Doc and I visit who would cherish those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    They'd give HPM-100s and Cerwin-Vegas a run for their money, no doubt.

• F1nut
    Options
    It's that 15" woofer......nothing else will do.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ahem. Pardon?

10127640096_8a6d5a7584_b.jpgDSC_8060 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(although the Duplexes are really more like 15 inch midranges...)

:)
  • msg
    Options
    These were my first 'real' speakers of my very own that I bought in the early 90s from a buddy in the Air Force days - Pioneer CS-9900
    yeeeehawwwww!

uvlygquwd57h.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    These were my first 'real' speakers of my very own that I bought in the early 90s from a buddy in the Air Force days - Pioneer CS-9900
    yeeeehawwwww!

uvlygquwd57h.jpg

You be stylin' wit dem fifthteens.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Currently refurbishing a set of Venturi 6s
    pwhnxgkdxhv4.jpg
    And a set of RtRs as well (woofer surrounds)
    0o2v0hm6t8e9.jpg
    vy52h42rbc55.jpg
    Haven't gotten a chance to listen to either yet :/
  • msg
    Options
    Man, you got a problem, lol
    (one I can fully relate to)
    I disabled signatures.