Headphone testing/battle ideas.

nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,863
Ok here's the thing...I wanna do headphone wars...winner stays in my home, loser get's put on the local CL for sale. Combatants are...

In one corner sporting the brown and silver appearance package the Sony MDR-1R over ear headphones noted for a bit sloppy bass by some reviewers, but to me, sound decent for my tastes.

In the other corner wearing a basic black outfit...the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Over ear. Darlings of the online and armchair reviewers alike.

Both of these are in house and ready to fight...however that presents a bit of a...problem. How do I test them just by sound alone when I have multiple ways of hooking them up to stuff...so here's a list of the possible configs...vote for one and whichever wins the voting will be used for the battle royale.

1, Marantz CD6004 all on it's own. It's got a volume controlled headphone jack built right in. Single unit. 1A, add in Schiit Audio Asgard 2 with AQ Evergreen ICs.

2, iPhone 6S Plus alone. 2A, add in the headphone amp. Files in Apple Lossless.

3, Oppo BDP-93 for CD/SACD Playback with the headphone amp.

4, Pioneer DV-45A for CD/SACD with the headphone amp.

5, Marantz CD6004 > Marantz SR5010 from it's headphone jack.

6, Pioneer DV-45A > Marantz SR6008 from it's headphone jack.

7, Either Universal Player with the NAD C326BEE from that headphone jack.

See...I got options...what would be the best off situation??? Note. The Asgard 2 isn't the quietest thing going as far as background noise is concerned.
Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Comments

• msgmsg Posts: 3,385
    Seems to me the best test would be to have them duke it out on the equipment you'll be using them on most, or on the one with which you'll be listening most closely for satisfying performance?
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,361
    ^^^ this
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,460
    My reply is going to be more than you asked for but IMO you are really missing out by limiting to those two headphones, first I'll answer your question directly then add my thoughts.

An external amp is overkill for either of those cans. You could run them both straight out of the iPhone and easily get a good comparison, neither are resolving or demanding enough to get much out of a better amp.

IMO there are better options on the market in similar types of headphones for less money, the M50x isn't as attractive as either of those but is easily my preference over both. If you want something that has a similar luxurious look and feel and in the same price range check out the Meze 99 Classic as it is also a much better sounding headphone. The Oppo PM-3 is another great choice although not my personal favorite.

Between those two there is a clear winner unless you like your sound colored in a very particular way, but I won't share my thoughts so as not to bias your experiment. There's nothing wrong with that either, the B&W P7 is a colored headphone and yet is one of my favorites to listen to, but in terms of an even FR curve and somewhat of a neutral sound you'll find that one of those comes much closer than the other.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,699
    Why not just keep em both unless you need the funds? There is nothing wrong with owning a couple of pair of headphones, we got like 7 pair in the house sounds like a lot of work enjoy the tunes instead.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,863
    Gee, you guys take the fun outta stuff...

Assimilated, here's Canadian pricing on the ones you mentioned...

The Oppo PM-3, $1,016
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50x $195, only $4 less than I paid for the Senns.
    Meze 99 Classic $450.

I remember paying I think $200 for the 1Rs when they were on sale at the Sony store...while Sony was closing those stores up here. I'm cheap and seeing a pair for a grand is tough to swallow...

In this fight...it's two pairs around the $200 mark when purchased...one pair has to go...locally on the CL I could get at least a hundred for either...was looking for the best way to actually test them head to head before I put one up for sale...as one is going to be sold regardless.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

sorry no sale no more

Hello Kitty boombox

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,664
    edited July 17
    view from the ground so to speak...these are two of my fav sounding cans overall. I have never owned anything over about $300 retail USD, but here is what I think I have owned:

1. Sony MDR-1R
    2. Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 on-ear
    3. Philips fidelio x1
    4. Philips fidelio L2 (wearing right now)
    5. Sennheiser HD558
    6. Audio Technica m50x
    7. Grado SR80i
    8. Grado SR225e
    9. Polk Buckle
    10. NAD Viso HP50
    11. Polk ultra focus 8000
    12. v-moda crossfade m-100

I think that's it...

And the first two are two of my favorites. The on-ear sennheisers just weren't comfortable, otherwise I would have kept them. The Sony's were my all around favorite since I work out in public and on planes and need cans that are closed and can travel. But some douchebag in Savannah swiped them so now I have replaced them the the L2s for the office and the cheap buckles for traveling.

I say test them with the main rig you will be using them on...have fun!

HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
    edited July 22
    Testing the Momentum 2s...can your iPhone 7 do this? Charge and headphones...at the same time! lol

P.S. I know Ain't My Bitxx wasn't on Kill Em All, it was an orphan MP3 I attached to the album in my library to make it easy to find!
    9vaxz2vpdcg4.jpg
    Post edited by nbrowser on
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    view from the ground so to speak...these are two of my fav sounding cans overall. I have never owned anything over about $300 retail USD, but here is what I think I have owned:

1. Sony MDR-1R
    2. Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 on-ear
    The rest edited cause none are in the house and I ain't heard em lol
    I think that's it...

And the first two are two of my favorites. The on-ear sennheisers just weren't comfortable, otherwise I would have kept them. The Sony's were my all around favorite since I work out in public and on planes and need cans that are closed and can travel. But some douchebag in Savannah swiped them so now I have replaced them the the L2s for the office and the cheap buckles for traveling.

I say test them with the main rig you will be using them on...have fun!

Yeah the Sonys were good cans, still are but in my opinion...and this is one man's opinion...the Momentum 2.0 over ear is easily murdering the MDR-1Rs handily...still forming the words but the SQ is better in ways.