A Big THANK YOU to some GREAT Polkies & a new phono pre kit is finally complete

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited July 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I can not take any of the credit for the completion of this phono pre kit from Bottlehead aside from the fact that I provided the funds to purchase it initially and the caps needed to modify it later.

It all began when @mhardy6647 posted a thread notifying the forum that the Bottlehead brand was having a sale on its popular Reduction phono preamp kit. I asked a few questions and those in the know stated that the Bottlehead kits were pretty spectacular so I purchased the kit along with the Induction upgrade. Thanks to the sale price, I was all in, including shipping, for less than the regular cost of the Reduction kit alone; I couldn't pass that up.

Here's the rub, I have no soldering experience whatsoever. Bottlehead claims that "anyone can do it" but, after touching base with a few folks, I learned that this isn't really an ideal kit for beginners. Thankfully, @SCompRacer saved my a$$ when he volunteered his time and his talents in assembling the kit, for which I am extremely grateful.

@ALL212 was kind enough to offer a lot of advice and input as well as the caps I'd need later on to have SCompRacer modify the kit to "match" a new/different preamp that I picked up. ALL212 also sent me an additional Alder base that he wasn't using so my brother-in-law could have the exact dimensions on hand to create a base for me from some Mahogany wood mt relatives brought back from Monrovia in the late 1950's. ALL212 has a lot of experience with the brand and he is a really great resource and a pretty cool dude overall.

Since I wasn't assembling the kit, I had Bottlehead ship the kit directly to SCompRacer for the assembly while my B-I-L worked on the Mahogany base in his spare time. This truly was a collaborative effort by everyone involved and I am genuinely humbled by the generosity of the Polkies, and my family members, who put together a very special piece of gear to enrich the playback of records in my audio setup. However, this is about more than just the audio quality, as the finished kit is really beautiful and it is very personal to me on a lot of different levels. The kit contains some of my family history and some of my audio history here as well. I cut my audio teeth here beginning in '04 and learned a lot about audio that I didn't know before (despite having some stereo setups that I thought were the bomb at the time. lol).

I couldn't have asked for a better person to put the kit together. SCompRacer is very methodical and detail oriented in his work ethic and he kept me posted throughout the build which was completed in a very short time period. Anyone that knows him or feels like doing a search can see that his builds are quite spectacular and very impressive to even the most seasoned DIY'ers on the forum. This kit is no exception.

Thankfully, after the kit was done and had been thoroughly tested in his own rig, SCompRacer suggested that my brother would be able to stop by SCompRacer's workplace to pick up the kit for me, which he did, and I was then able to pick it up the weekend that followed. While my brother was there, they discussed a possible get together (which took place at a later date).

Now, when I originally took possession of the assembled kit, the Mahogany base was not yet finished so I was using the unfinished Alder base that comes with the kit that was sent to my B-I-L by ALL212. I had the Bottlehead connected to my Parasound Halo P5 and it sounded ridiculously good. As it often happens in the audio hobby, a good deal came up on a different preamp (a Cary Audio Design CPA-1) so I picked it up and sold the P5. That meant the Bottlehead kit needed to be altered/modified to mate optimally with the Cary. ALL212 had the caps I needed for the mod & SCompRacer volunteered to swap them out for me.

After graduating from school in June, I finally had the time to make that get together with SCompRacer happen. Last weekend, my brother, my wife, and I drove out to SCompRacer's home where we spent most of the day together, along with his wonderful wife and the family's Bengal+Bobcat mix kitty. I finally got my ears on his latest setup with the Salk Soundscape 8 speakers driven by a pure class A Krell amp. His entire setup is very accurate in reproducing the instruments and the vocals were centered beautifully. The midrange really stood out in this setup and, I think, my favorite track of the day was Paul Simon's Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes off the Graceland album. The setup is very balanced from top to bottom and the midrange is very clear, more so than the last setup I'd heard at his place with the InnerSound hybrid ESL MKIII speakers driven by Sander Sound Systems amplifiers.

It's interesting that SCompRacer was the first Polkie I met, in person, when he showed up at my house with a DAC as I was trying to decide if I was better off adding a DAC to my CDP or buying a new CDP altogether (I went with the latter). It was so nice of him to go out of his way to help me out like that. He is a super cool dude and he is very helpful with advice on the forums and in person. We became friends and I made many pilgrimages out to his home to check out the latest and greatest gear that made its way into his setup. He has a metric ton of audio knowledge and he's done his best to share it with me on a regular basis. As he is a lover of audio, I consider him to be an audiophile. If you break down the term, from the Greek "philia" means ‘fondness’ and when preceded by audio, it is a person with a fondness of/for audio. While we had lunch (BTW - he is a whiz on the grill people and a very gracious host!) he expressed the idea that an audiophile is a person that knows all things audio. In my mind, that would be an audio expert and an audio expert may or may not be a lover of audio. In addition, to know all things audio would be very challenging as it is such a broad topic and it is constantly changing with all the new technology. In my humble opinion, I think he fits the bill more than most people because he truly loves this hobby and he has extensive knowledge on the subject.

I also want to say that I believe that is one of the things that make this forum so special, it's the camaraderie. A few years after we first met, SCompRacer and I worked together, along with @MikeC78, to host the inaugural Chicagoland Polkfest in Bloomington Illinois (that was a hoot!). It's a shame that so many folks have faded away from the Polk forum/Club Polk due to the changes in the host company and the web site here (Vanilla > vbulletin). So much audio knowledge resided here at one point in time that this place was, in my humble opinion, the gold standard. I'm really grateful to the folks that stuck around as this was the first place I turned to when I got back into the hobby a few years ago.

So, to wrap things up, I now have a beautiful sounding and aesthetically pleasing piece of gear on my audio rack that holds a very special place for me. I want to express my sincere appreciation to all those who contributed to this project, especially @SCompRacer, @mhardy6647, & @ALL212, as well as a heartfelt THANK YOU goes out to ALL the Polkies (and my brother-in-law) who made this project --> finished product possible.
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• halo
    Options
    Here are some photos of the build process and the final product:

The finished assembly of the Reduction kit:
    35531084650_dd47895ec3_b.jpg

The finished assembly of the Reduction + Induction upgrade:
    35749580652_011e34edc0_b.jpg

SCompRacer painted the top of the plate & the top of the transformer black to match the top of his GORGEOUS Bottlehead Eros kit (I cannot post that pic as Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party sharing of SCompRacer's photos):
    35751559732_4db8e4a6c5_b.jpg

The stock/unfinished Alder base with the Assembled Reduction + Induction Bottlehead kit (matched to the Parasound Halo P5 with Solen Cap):
    34591621484_56983c73a6_o.jpg

Real Mahogany base with the Assembled Reduction + Induction Bottlehead kit (modified to match the Cary CPA-1 w/ Clarity Blue Caps)
    35716409261_c33c20cb2b_o.jpg
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    wohhhhhhhh! nice!!!
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    That's some fine looking black paint...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Hey @mhardy6647.....ever see one of these kits before?! :p

Just some ribbing as usual.

My Reduction never got the Integration upgrade. I may look into it again when I am more dedicated to vinyl......or when I drive to NH to get mine back.
    The black plate looks swell.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Excellent, Victor! Enjoy that Bottlehead--I imagine I may look into getting one somewhere down the line... Black top and mahogany base go very nicely together.

That Rich is a peach, ain't he?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Neat-o; congratulations!

mrbiron, your Reduction is, quite simply, being held hostage as an incentive to get you to c'mon up, visit & reclaim it :)

We were gonna fire it up when the new-to-me Sony tt went online... but time didn't permit.

-- and I still think of you every time one of the current crop of whistlepigs prairie dogs out in the yard ;)

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Neat-o; congratulations!

mrbiron, your Reduction is, quite simply, being held hostage as an incentive to get you to c'mon up, visit & reclaim it :)

We were gonna fire it up when the new-to-me Sony tt went online... but time didn't permit.

-- and I still think of you every time one of the current crop of whistlepigs prairie dogs out in the yard ;)

Bahaha....
    I thought they were mangy cats?
    Use away....for now. The Bugle2 is gone and i have a hankering to spin the moabd (mother or all black dics) again. By "again" i mean after i finish sidewalling the house. The wife would slap the lips off me if i took a break to listen to music.

Mine looks so boring now... :/
    axnd581ojd49.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • halo
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    ;c-2334325"]
    Mine looks so boring now... :/
    axnd581ojd49.jpg
    I have two extra bases that are finished in different stains (Cabernet & Mahogany) which were sealed with several coats of polyurethane.

FWIW, I think your kit looks nice and clean.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Cool story and great outcome!
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 903
    Options
    Congratulations! Enough your tunes. I have built many Bottlehead kits over the years for myself and friends. They are a high bang for the buck.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Due to recent "issues" with my "Simple 2A3", my Bottlehead Paramours are back in service and soundin' pretty darned good still.

mrbiron, if you have a heavyweight vinyl monkey on your back (mixed-metaphorically speaking, that is), just let me know & I can pack your Reduction up and send it back on its way home via the trusty ol' USPS (if they're still in business)! :)
    I have the packaging in which you sent it -- and I will send a small token, or two, of my esteem back with it (whether you claim it in person or it gets shipped).

• halo
    Options
    Due to recent "issues" with my "Simple 2A3", my Bottlehead Paramours are back in service and soundin' pretty darned good still.

That's great! Glad you're still able to enjoy les pizzas de licorice!
    mrbiron, if you have a heavyweight vinyl monkey on your back (mixed-metaphorically speaking, that is), just let me know & I can pack your Reduction up and send it back on its way home via the trusty ol' USPS (if they're still in business)! :)
    I have the packaging in which you sent it -- and I will send a small token, or two, of my esteem back with it (whether you claim it in person or it gets shipped.

That's super cool man :)
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,518
    Options
    ibbf6wkul79i.jpg

So what's next ?? :)
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Victor, I saw this earlier, but only just got round to reading the whole post a little while ago.

What a great story. Warming to read of the interactions and of your appreciation for the unit itself, but more so about how much more the piece means to you given all that went into the process. You can't put a price on that, and this is one of those things that I would say adds another dimension of enjoyment to the listening experience - the story, the people, the good will, the interaction and relationships.

I've always thought aesthetics, design, and the hunt and purchase process contribute to my appreciation for a piece in my system. I didn't realize it at first, but it's never really been just about the sound quality or the music for me since I began to explore this hobby. I thoroughly enjoy the journey when things go nicely, culminating in a listening session of favorite pieces of music, as I take in the details of everything it's taken to get it to that point. In a case like this, I would be smiling peacefully, marveling at the phono pre, not even necessarily consciously thinking about all the great human spirit you've detailed, but just knowing that that is what makes this piece a truly valuable addition to your system, what makes it special. May it bring you many years of pleasure.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I disabled signatures.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Congrats Victor! I've known Rich about as long as you have. He is a friendly, knowledgeable guy who always wants to help. I am always amazed by the skills Rich has and his build projects are solid pieces of craftsmanship and a work of art. He also takes great pictures.

Good to hear that you had some quality time with Rich, Dana and of course Jasper!
    Carl

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nice post Halo. The pre looks sweet. Many great people in this community to help out and for guidance. Enjoy!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Halo, your story outshines the finished product. Connections with people like SCompRacer, mhardy6647, and ALL212 make us better.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Very nice work and Rich is a great guy.
    I'm in Bloomington Illinois so if something like this comes around again be nice to hear about it.
  • halo
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm in Bloomington Illinois so if something like this comes around again be nice to hear about it.

The Polkfest was in 2006 IIRC. I don't think we've had an official Polkfest in quite some time. There are other gatherings like the Lone Star Audio Fest but I think that the Polkfests have died out. Polk doesn't support the community the same way that it used to or there just isn't interest in putting on a Polkfest by forum members anymore (it's a big undertaking). Would be nice to get them started again! Demoing all kinds of different gear and meeting people from the forum can be a very rewarding experience!
  • halo
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Congrats Victor! I've known Rich about as long as you have. He is a friendly, knowledgeable guy who always wants to help. I am always amazed by the skills Rich has and his build projects are solid pieces of craftsmanship and a work of art. He also takes great pictures.

Good to hear that you had some quality time with Rich, Dana and of course Jasper!

Hey Carl!

Yes, Jasper is pretty darn cool and he's absolutely gorgeous! Dana and Rich, as you are aware, are very gracious hosts. We had a really good time.

I was telling Rich that I remembered being introduced to new music when you visited his place (the Shins, Alison Kraus, and Sergio Mendez).
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I am not in the same league, in terms of this story, with the other two Polk Folk (i.e., ALL212 and SCompRacer) who really did things to enable the final outcome. All I did was mention that the preamp was on sale (and that the mrbiron's, being held hostage here in NH, sounded pretty good).

I really don't deserve to be called out (at least in a positive way) in this thread.

This being said, I am thrilled to see the thread and the outcome of several folks' hard and diligent work!

• halo
    Options
    I am not in the same league, in terms of this story, with the other two Polk Folk (i.e., ALL212 and SCompRacer) who really did things to enable the final outcome. All I did was mention that the preamp was on sale (and that the mrbiron's, being held hostage here in NH, sounded pretty good).

I really don't deserve to be called out (at least in a positive way) in this thread.

This being said, I am thrilled to see the thread and the outcome of several folks' hard and diligent work!
    You've done a lot behind the scenes in regards to my foray back into vinyl my friend.

I also remember you offering to sling some solder and assemble a Bottlehead kit for any interested parties here on the forum (may have been in the post about the Eros going on sale).
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Wow, Victor, and my good friends, thank you very much for the kind words. It was good seeing you and Greg again. It was good to meet your beautiful and Doctorate bride. She is so smart and yet a down on earth gal.

Bottlehead gear punches way beyond its price point. The hardest thing about the build are all them little components at the tube sockets. I stick an old tube in to hold the pins in place. Less chance of shorting or creating tension on components once you do plug a tube in.

I thought I took a pic of the Clarity cap coupler cap upgrade for your new pre amp...guess not.

I can’t recall the DAC I brought to our first meeting. Getting old…lol

Jasper was happy to get his couch back.

obi476wbkwyp.jpg

Photobucket should change their name to Extortion bucket. The old Eros…with Aaron's Dad's farm sourced Walnut. I get my Black paint at Ace Hardware. Rust-Oleum. Let it dry thoroughly and you can even sand and buff/wax it! Folks on the 'net have painted quads, motorcycles and even cars with it.

And remember, after washing your micro fiber towels used to clean your gear, air dry them or tumble dry on low. A dryer on high will fuse the fibers together. I let my micro fiber towels for house and car air dry. I even use a micro fiber soap to wash them...

iofshamhdn3j.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Fantastic story. We do have a great group of people on here.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    halo wrote: »

The Polkfest was in 2006 IIRC. I don't think we've had an official Polkfest in quite some time.

I'm sorry Victor I thought this was recent. I joined in 2009 IIRC. Drove by close to Rich's place a few times on my way to Aurora Il. to buy Fish one of these days we all should get together. If nothing else just to shoot the Bull hockey.

nice work to all involved

How big is that kitty Rich?

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We are usually home on weekends so if you like give a heads up next time you head up to Aurora. We lived in Aurora for ~22+ years. SE side near Montgomery. Be happy to hook up with Victor again.

That Bloomington Polk Fest at Mike's was a great time. I literally loaded a rented White van with gear -my entire system including turntable- and some speakers for sale. Brock bought his SDA 1C's out of that White van...lol They belonged to my friend Norm (RIP) who could not attend.

[

Jasper's like 30” nose to tip of tail standing normally. He has that skin flap ahead or rear legs and can run like the wind. 15 to 16 pounds. Big teeth and rear claws. Very vocal. We adopted him at age two. He was already fixed/front declawed. A family relocated from Texas with his sister cat and left them at a non-euthanizing pet Adopt center.

He can exhibit major attitude yet be loving. Follows us around, sleeps by us while watching TV, listens to music with me. Not a hide under bed cat. Loves to play, more fun than a monkey in a mile of grapevine...lol

uaxrcva0m732.jpg

Helps select records to play....

d2uhh9jrauk1.jpg

Helps me with house projects, like running the air line through media wall plate for my turntable air bearing arm...

g943ggaqnqn0.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halo
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Jasper helps me with house projects, like running the air line through media wall plate for my turntable air bearing arm...

g943ggaqnqn0.jpg

Jasper likes to chew holes in the air line so daddy has to repair it at inopportune moments :D

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    @SCompRacer has been a blessing to me many times with advice. I would love to get down there for a visit. Hope your doing well, Rich!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • halo
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry Victor I thought this was recent. I joined in 2009 IIRC. Drove by close to Rich's place a few times on my way to Aurora Il. to buy Fish one of these days we all should get together. If nothing else just to shoot the Bull hockey.

nice work to all involved

No worries @pitdogg2 :)

Get togethers are almost always a good time. With a little support from Polk and Signal Cable, the last Chicagoland PF was pretty cool. The east coast PFs are/were the stuff of legend. lol.

Jasper didn't seem that "big" to me. We have a 3-year old medium hair cat that we adopted and he's bigger than Jasper but he's not fat, neither of them are, and Jasper is a very lean animal.