Does anyone eat organic?

I kinda tend to buy thin skin organic stuff but I am not a freak about it. I am eating a cantaloupe and it has overtones of "Raid" I doubt that is an agricultural pesticide, so maybe my old lady is trying to kill me?

Comments

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    If you do your "due diligence" ORGANIC is a word used to market some foods and in reality has very little to do with healthy foods. Maybe not in all of the cases but in enough to be discarded as a relieable discription of a "better" quality or healthy foods. Read the labels and be advised. It's gotten very bad as to how they mark food we eat with deceptive packaging and "leagel" descriptions.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Buy what tastes good.
    This is the only life i get. No Regrets!!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    As I approach 65, it doesn't seem like changing any habits for the better will affect my longevity. Organic, for most of my life, was only a term for some kind of chemistry that I can't possibly comprehend.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    If you do your "due diligence" ORGANIC is a word used to market some foods and in reality has very little to do with healthy foods. Maybe not in all of the cases but in enough to be discarded as a relieable discription of a "better" quality or healthy foods. Read the labels and be advised. It's gotten very bad as to how they mark food we eat with deceptive packaging and "leagel" descriptions.

Yea I agree. One of my buddies from grad school grew up on a small farm in PA, dad still runs it. Dad says there is basically no one checking up on you to make sure that its actually organic.

The only way to have any real assurance that it's pesticide free is to purchase from your local farmer's market or co-op and talk to the folks that grow the food, maybe even visit. We have a great farmer's market that started here a few years ago and a great local co-op and I have been to and seen how they grow things. Definitely the way to go, but it takes time, effort, and/or a lot more money that they grocery store.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2017
    Yes, no, sort of.

35268992912_52fa694928_b.jpgDSC_8529 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

We grow as much as we can (which isn't all that much, mostly because I am lazy and Mrs. H kind of loses gumption when it gets hot & humid). The stuff we grow sees nothing but dirt, sunshine, water -- and a little of the farmer-neighbors' cow manure (which is "fed" from hay from our back field & other fields around town, so it's pretty darned "organic)".

28881543743_0a8d430626_b.jpgDSC_5718 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (a small portion of last year's crop, on its way to becoming sauce -- it's been cool & wet so far, this summer, mostly, so I am not optimistic for a repeat this year)

We eat plenty of storebought stuff, too -- we don't bother with "organic" produce (although the percentage of store produce sections devoted to the stuff is ever-increasing) but we do buy/eat relatively little pre-prepared foodstuffs.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @mhardy6647 what the hell is all of that green stuff everywhere? I bet you live in one of those places that water falls from the sky huh?
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Mhardy "gentleman farmer" nice!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @mhardy6647 what the hell is all of that green stuff everywhere? I bet you live in one of those places that water falls from the sky huh?

Yeah a shiiteload of it is frozen
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    The green stuff is algae; yeah, all kinds of stuff falls on us :/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Do frozen vegetables from Safeway count as organic?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    edited July 2017
    19956978_10154859057651295_7996029180697015141_o.jpg?oh=ca2b6b23a1ef391bcede69ffcd28975a&oe=59F5C3D4
    This is about as green as it gets in my neighborhood.
  • mhardy6647
    When we lived on the edge of the Silicon Valley, it used to get pretty darned green in the East Bay hills (we were very close to the hills in Milpitas, near the Hayward Fault). Briefly. In the winter. Looked like Scotland. Heck, we even saw snow up there once -- we drove up to look at it :)
  • BlueFox
    The hills were beautiful this year after all the rain last winter. Still some skiing going on in the Sierras.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    I'll bet they were!
  • BlueFox
    Of course they are on fire now. LOL.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    some things never change :/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Yep....organic is a marketing thing now, of which you have to pay for that privilege of marketing your stuff as Organic.

If you buy from local farms, chances are your eating organic without the organic label. Grow your own too, doesn't get more organic than that.

Theoretically, organic means grown without the added pesticides, chemicals, gasses, radiation, antibiotics, etc used in the process of growing and harvesting. Local farms usually pride themselves on not using such processes but don't pay the extra to have to label their stuff "organic".

If you don't want to scare the crap out of yourself, never look into what goes into the food you eat, the money behind it, and how it coincides with growing health issues.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited July 2017
    Is there any proof that eating genetically modified plants is bad for you? I don't think there is and I don't think it is.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • afterburnt
    @Nightfall , lemme ask my other head that grew out of my shoulder.
  • BlueFox
    Basically all food is genetically modified by breeding selection over the years. Doing the modification via Petri dish is the only difference now. However, I will admit that the potential for creating a disaster with genetic modification is certainly possible.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    http://allianceforscience.cornell.edu/blog/mark-lynas/gmo-safety-debate-over
    Last week, the prestigious National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine issued what is probably the most far-reaching report ever produced by the scientific community on genetically engineered food and crops. The conclusion was unambiguous: Having examined hundreds of scientific papers written on the subject, sat through hours of live testimony from activists and considered hundreds more comments from the general public, the scientists wrote that they "found no substantiated evidence that foods from GE crops were less safe than foods from non-GE crops."

• Nightfall
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Everytime i can get her on her back... I eat organic

Now that's funny. :D

Mmmm, sushi.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Lot of misconceptions about food out there.

It's understandable that people care about where their food comes from, after all they want the safest product possible. Problem of is, that's where it seems to stop.

Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about a farmer using round-up, but would worry if I knew he hasn't gotten his water source tested in the last 3 years or so.

Although it seems not to be very well known, vegetables, especially leafy ones account for more food born illness than meat products, including processed meat products.

As far a genetically modified foods, every product you consume has been modified. Weather it involved animal husbandry, or cross pollination, virtually nothing is the same as it was 100 years ago, let alone from the dawn of time.

The food industry is a very highly regulated industry in the U.S. Another common misconception is that the local farmers market has safer produce. It's actually the least safe place to buy your favorite fruits and veggies.

Again, a big misconception. Fruits and veggies need water. How many small farms, or individual back yard gardeners get their water tested? I'm talking taking a sample at the end of the hose, or whatever distributes the water. Virtually none, and that is the point it has to be tested at.

I could keep going, but it would be pointless. It you think it's worth the extra price because you feel organic food is safer, you'll think I'm already a fool.
  • tonyb
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Lot of misconceptions about food out there.

It's understandable that people care about where their food comes from, after all they want the safest product possible. Problem of is, that's where it seems to stop.

Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about a farmer using round-up, but would worry if I knew he hasn't gotten his water source tested in the last 3 years or so.

Although it seems not to be very well known, vegetables, especially leafy ones account for more food born illness than meat products, including processed meat products.

As far a genetically modified foods, every product you consume has been modified. Weather it involved animal husbandry, or cross pollination, virtually nothing is the same as it was 100 years ago, let alone from the dawn of time.

The food industry is a very highly regulated industry in the U.S. Another common misconception is that the local farmers market has safer produce. It's actually the least safe place to buy your favorite fruits and veggies.

Again, a big misconception. Fruits and veggies need water. How many small farms, or individual back yard gardeners get their water tested? I'm talking taking a sample at the end of the hose, or whatever distributes the water. Virtually none, and that is the point it has to be tested at.

I could keep going, but it would be pointless. It you think it's worth the extra price because you feel organic food is safer, you'll think I'm already a fool.

I might disagree with some of that, especially the water source. A local farmer is using the same water you do in your house. If one is bad, so is the other.

The same people doing these studies....are most likely the same paid for scientists who tell you prescription drugs are completely safe for you.....your drinking water is completely safe too, right Detroit ?

Yes, our food industry is highly regulated.....except we don't get a good chunk of our food supply from here. Mexico....where there is little regulation, supplies a good chunk. Read the labels on your produce.

There are always extremes to any topic, food is certainly one that can bring out both ends. To feed a nation our size, it's impossible to grow everything organic, even wait until it's ripe to pick. That's why the local farmer is of importance if you want vine ripened veggies and fruits, not gassed or radiated. Meats not shot up with antibiotics, fed corn their whole life. Chemicals added to retain freshness.

I know I can certainly taste the difference, and I'm a smoker so my senses are somewhat subdued. What goes in your mouth has a direct correlation to your overall health, that's real science. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I don't “buy organic” but I do try to buy from local farmers when I can. I don’t try and convince myself that it’s “safer” I just prefer the way most of it tastes. I actually don’t get the whole fascination with food safety seemingly all the sudden, it’s not like there’s an epidemic of people dropping dead from GMO foods. In fact, I actually prefer that most people buy that stuff because I know there’s not enough fresh produce to go around and I like being able to buy it as long as I’m willing to go out of my way to get it and pay a little more.

When we do buy from a store we care more about the attributes than some random “organic” sticker on the package. We pay attention to where it was grown and look for things like cage free chicken and eggs with no antibiotics or hormones, beef that is grass fed, generally more verifiable specs vs some nebulous vague “organic” sticker.
  • tonyb
    When we do buy from a store we care more about the attributes than some random “organic” sticker on the package. We pay attention to where it was grown and look for things like cage free chicken and eggs with no antibiotics or hormones, beef that is grass fed, generally more verifiable specs vs some nebulous vague “organic” sticker.

Exactly....pay less attention to the organic label, and more about the details of where it came from....and when.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited July 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Everytime i can get her on her back... I eat organic

Luv it!
    Sig material

But I digress . . .

Hey, Burnt! Check out Knives Over Forks ( You can get it on Netflix)
    I think they makes a good case for a plant-based diet .....
    if you got 90 minutes to spare on a slow Sunday night, I highly recommend you check it out
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tonyb
    Thing is, everybody can make a case for any style of diet, plant based or not. Do vegetarians actually look healthy to you ? Not to me.

We need all of the things people push, just in appropriate proportions that coincide with our age. Meat, plant based material, dairy, carbs, veggies, fruits, seafood, etc.

Problem is, most don't eat a variety of things in the course of a day....or week for that matter. Some simply can't for whatever reason, thus get that full stomach feeling from starches/preservatives/carbs/sugar. Fillers...stuff that makes you feel full, but has little nutritional value, ala fast foods. Eat enough and as often as you can and before you know it you'll be at the doctor....telling you about how you have diabetes or some other ailment that requires a life of prescription drugs.

That's the cycle everyone gets caught in. Then they think some miracle pill or special diet will turn it all around for them. It may too, temporarily....until it all comes crashing down and your back to square one, looking for another pill, another diet to try.....while the pushers of these things laugh all the way to the bank.

Don't put your faith in any one pill or diet plan, long term anyway. Put more faith in what you put in your mouth, and the quality of that. Mix in a little exercise, even if it's just walking half a mile a day and you'll feel tons better. It's not rocket science, nor do you have to give up the foods you love or hit extremes.

On the flip side, I guess no great story ever started with someone eating a salad, right ? Bad decisions do make for good story telling. :) .....and I certainly am no stranger to bad decisions myself. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Tony,
    On a related note . . .
    What was that plant/edible that you ate in Italy that jacked-up yer mojo?
    Curious minds want to know . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12