Tell me about DirectTV Genie

Options
dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,984
I've been a long-time DirectTV customer. I could've sworn I was offered a free HD and DVR upgrade on several occasions in the past but my TV at the time didn't justify HD and I didn't really care that much about DVR. Now that I have a decent TV, I called them and the first representative I spoke to said I already had a HD receiver and I could operate DVR from my remote. When I got home I looked at my receiver, which isn't all that old, and quickly realized she was full of shite. I called again and was told the offer is no longer available, its a flat $299 for HD and DVR purchase. They are now offering the Genie, which is basically $10/month each for HD and DVR, plus some $3 fee, for a total of $23/month plus a $19.95 handling fee and a two-year contract. Who has the Genie and what's the skinny? Is this the best DirectTV can do on this, and is this like an iphone where you basically are buying the equipment on an installment plan? Why the heck is the regular HD and DVR unit three hundred clams? Any advice would be appreciated as I'm new to this.

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I am very UNIMPRESSED with the genie mini. What a pos. I have been a customer of directv since day one. Paid 700.00 for my first unit at incredible universe.

Directv was great is its day and that is long gone. sad to see and say.

sorry for the rant.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I liked the Genie a lot when I had DTV. I also had the mini and thought it was fine fwiw. I canceled simply to save money about 4 years ago after having DTV for about 7 years; it had nothing to do with the service.

As for the deal, If you're a long-time member and out of contract, definitely call and tell them you are going to cancel. You will be connected to the retention department. Explain to them that this back peddling has you pissed. That department has access to the best offers. I bet they can do better!

As for the equipment, one thing I don't like about DTV is you NEVER own it. You just don't have a contract after 2 years, and that means you can cancel without penalty, with gives you access to better offers.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Get the Dish Hopper 3. Very, very impressed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Get the Dish Hopper 3. Very, very impressed.

Ding ding ding meeee tooo
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited July 2017
    Options
    THIS
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    As for the deal, If you're a long-time member and out of contract, definitely call and tell them you are going to cancel. You will be connected to the retention department. Explain to them that this back peddling has you pissed. That department has access to the best offers. I bet they can do better!
    I have been a DTV customer for 16 years. Bought my first receiver back then. I have always thought DTV was one of the best customer service companies I have delt with until AT&T bought them. It used to be if your equipment failed they would send you another unit and you sent them the old one back. Now, after the buy out by AT&T they have to send a technition out. I do have to say though that we lost our remote for the main Genie box in the LR, and because we have the protection plan, they sent us a new one for free. I figured they would want to charge me for the new one, since we lost the original. Anyway, I still like DTV and the Genie works well for us. My wife records shows and movies we can watch at our leisure which is a very nice feature.

Hopefully AT&T's poor customer service won't change how DTV deals with customers, although from the OP's comments it may have started.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com