Rti questions

Hey all,
This is my first time to post here even though I'm a polk enthusiast. I have two pairs of polks, ls90s and ls50s. On craigslist I saw some polk rti a5s for 400. They looked pristine. Would these be comparable to the ls90s? A guy on another forum said something to the effect that the rti line and down were subpar (im paraphrasing). Would just like some opinions on this.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2017
    SUB PAR ? lol

RTI's certainly have a different sound than the LS's, but I wouldn't rank them sub par. Right tool for the right job and all that.

RTI's are a bit more forward and detailed sounding than the LS series imho. They work better for HT applications but that doesn't mean you couldn't use them for music also.

Typically, I'd say the RTI's are better at HT and the LS's might be a tad better for music. The RTIA 5's would probably need a subwoofer to help out that bottom end though. Depends on your sound preferences really....but sub par ? LOL

Where's my manners too.....welcome to the forum. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Welcome! $400.00 doesnt seem too bad. Lowest i can find is 279 ea at polk refurb store on ebay.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Welcome to the forum,

Sub par! Oh no not Rti/RTiA. They are more geared for HT than music. Thing is these speakers like a lot of power. Even my RTi8 I had sounded a lot better hooked to an amp. Once paired with a Marantz receiver my RTi8 did become a lot more musical than they were with a Sony ES AVR.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Binkstir
    Binkstir Posts: 7
    Thanks guys. Good to know they are more suited for ht. This was the plan all along... I won't bore you with the details but my wife gave me a room to escape to. Flat screen already in place...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    This is an audio, HT, and electronics forum...we're never bored watching people spend money :) ...but we really don't care that it will cost you a new purse :/ for the wife...just saying...

And welcome to the forum
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a