What's your "Giant killer" cartridge?

Options
I'm so deep in this vinyl rabbit hole and I just can't stop. I'm loving the sound I'm getting from my Nottingham/soundsmith combo, it's so, so good. I don't mind all the tinkering, and fiddling required. If anything it keeps me from being bored.

But I'm always left wondering, what cartridges out there perform at twice or 3 times their price point. There is so much out there, and I'm still new to vinyl.

I recently acquired an ortofon MC 20 MKii from a friend for free, and waiting on a spare headshell to get it up and running. I've heard it many times before and sold for a pretty penny back in the day, it is very linear and smooth.

So... What's your giant killer?
2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,035
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Denon DL-103. At the "Comet Supply" price of a few years ago ($118) it was pretty much the best value in hifi (to my tastes, at any rate) extant -- providing, of course, one has hardware empathetic to its nearly legendary idosyncrasies. :)

13976194526_7d13352424_b.jpgspinnin1f by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    (the Technics' arm is barely up to the task of handling the ultra-low-compliance DL-103 -- but it's close enough for me, for now)

I still like the cheap Grado MM (well, technically, moving iron) cartridges, too. I especially like the über-cheap Grados of a bygone era, like this one, which listed for $13 ca. 1980 :)

13434720275_9b6e7e785a_b.jpgGrado stylus pull3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

FWIW, I don't like any of the [modern] Ortofons that I can afford -- and I cannot afford the ones I like. YMMV, though, of course.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I haven't had enough cartridges to answer this question with any degree of accuracy but I can run down what I've owned and what I like the best.

1. Grado Prestige Black - Best all around sound, to me. Gels well with the rest of my setup
    2. ADC Series III - Best sound of the bunch on the PL-7 but I've had nothing but tracking issues (skips a lot)
    2. Nagaoka MP-110 - Very nice overall, kind of in between the Grado & the AT120Eb
    3. AT120Eb - Good cart with extended highs, a little bright for my current setup
    4. AT95E - Barely a step down from the 120Eb but it was fairly noisy - seemed to pick up a lot of pops & ticks
    5. AT3600L - Came with Marley tt I had and it was a good pairing
    6. AT91R - came with the ATLP3WH tt I have and it 's a basic cartridge
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm very curious about the denon 103 or even the 103R. Wondering if it would be worth picking up to try out. I've read it's a perfect match for my jelco tone arm. I haven't owned many cartridges, and the cheaper ones I did own I didn't like. But they were on a cheap table as well, and possible it wasn't proper match.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    The Denon DL-110 is also a great bargain if you can find one used, price new went way up. And its high output moving coil so don't need a MC option on preamp or step up, as you would with the low output DL-103 IIRC. I'm really surprised the DL-103 is cheaper new. Its top quality. Mikeyb128: I seem to remember the Jelco arm likes a lighter cartridge with the DL-103 so you want to check into that, there are generic Technics-type cartridges that are lighter.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The DL-103r is altogether more capable, but also 'spensiver.
    I am, if nothing else, one cheap m-o- f-o.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Mikeyb128: I seem to remember the Jelco arm likes a lighter cartridge with the DL-103 so you want to check into that, there are generic Technics-type cartridges that are lighter.

You are correct, medium to high compliance. It has been a subject Of much debate. I've read it's ok with a heavier head shell 16-18 grams. I use the jelco rose nut/magnesium headshell weighing in at 16grams. And a drop of oil in its fluid dampened arm. I think it's one of those try it and see how it sounds type scenarios.

2 channel:
    Theater:

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have a Denon 103R mounted on one arm that I removed the plastic body and installed an Aluminum body.

My current fav and go to is an AT33PTG/II. Mucho bang for the bucks.

9hsprltwvff8.jpg

89u3e61mzmpe.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I have a Denon 103R mounted on one arm that I removed the plastic body and installed an Aluminum body.

My current fav and go to is an AT33PTG/II. Mucho bang for the bucks.

9hsprltwvff8.jpg

89u3e61mzmpe.jpg

Nice AT cart! How would you describe it? It has piqued my attention.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Nice AT cart! How would you describe it? It has piqued my attention.

Great detail and top to bottom balance. The bass is deep and articulate. As an example, playing Skrillex Bangarang on vinyl, the bass sounds better than it does via digital.

The mid-range is liquid, highs are extended yet smooth. The Micro Linear stylus tracks deep in the groove. This can result in less/no ticks and pops even on a damaged record. Someone was here the other day and commented on how quiet (ticks and pop wise) my vinyl playback was. IMO there are great benefits of a micro line stylus that are not always talked about.

Electronics wise I haven’t spent a fortune but get excellent results. A Park’s Audio Budgie SUT feeds a Bottlehead Eros with upgraded output coupling caps (Sonicap Platinum's).

If anyone purchases an AT33PTG/II, ensure they are not grey market with no warranty. Just in case you have an issue with it. Amazon and ebay have both kinds of sellers, that is with and without warranty with prices being similar.

Some previous cartridges I have owned, Dynavector from entry to Karat 17D3. Sumiko up to Blackbird. Grado up to Sonata. Denon up to 103R.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    Currently have 31 cartridges, including many of the ones mentioned above. Have a lot of the DL-103 series family and modded models. The one cartridge that consistently checks all the boxes for me and is a pleasure to listen to no matter what genre of music, and tonearm/table it's used on is the Nagaoka MP-500. I like this as good or better than most of the lomc carts I own. It has lomc dimensionality and speed with the tone and slam of a good moving magnet cart. It's just great with everything. Love it!

Some of my other favorites are the Cartridge Man Music Maker 3 (a lot like the Nagaoka but less 3-dimensional soundstage and prefers medium to lighter mass arms), Shelter 501mk2 (sounds great with everything also), Benz Wood LO 0.4 (another great all rounder but prefers jazz , classical, and acoustic), Koetsu Black (original construction, not the most accurate but oh that midrange is to die for!), Grace F9 Ruby (superb!) and Clearaudio Virtuoso (another great all rounder).

I would like to point out that of the 7 carts that I mentioned, 3 are lomcs, 2 are MMs, and 2 are moving iron carts (Nagaoka calls it moving permaloy). What's my point? Don't be fooled into thinking a lomc cart is automatically better. A well designed cartridge is a well designed cartridge no matter what type it Is. In fact unless you have a really good phono stage and/or step up transformer that can handle a lomc cart, you're better off running a good MM or MI cart. It really comes down to matching the cart with the arm and phone stage.
  • Dawgfish
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mikey which Jelco arm are you running on your Nottingham? I have a 250ST on a Sonagraphe SG-3 and a modded 750D on a Sota Sapphire. The 250ST is a better match with medium to higher compliance carts, and the 750D is a great match with the lower compliance versions of the 103 family. Love the modded 750D tonearm. It's so versatile and punches way above its weight! It's probably what I would consider the tonearm equivalent to the question you asked about carts.

Btw have an Ortofon Rondo Red and it's a really sweet cart for the coin. Also have an Ortofon 2M Black which I don't like at all. Imho it's the most over-rated cartridge I've ever heard.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Mikey which Jelco arm are you running on your Nottingham? I have a 250ST on a Sonagraphe SG-3 and a modded 750D on a Sota Sapphire. The 250ST is a better match with medium to higher compliance carts, and the 750D is a great match with the lower compliance versions of the 103 family. Love the modded 750D tonearm. It's so versatile and punches way above its weight! It's probably what I would consider the tonearm equivalent to the question you asked about carts.

Btw have an Ortofon Rondo Red and it's a really sweet cart for the coin. Also have an Ortofon 2M Black which I don't like at all. Imho it's the most over-rated cartridge I've ever heard.

I'm using an SA750 (12 inch version) with a soundsmith carmen. I like the Carmen, and trying to decide if I want to spend the money to go up the soundsmith line, or try something cheaper that will be bang for buck. I've had the Carmen for a while now on several different tables, so time to try something new.

Going to give the ortofon a try, but waiting on a lighter head shell.

2 channel:
    Theater:

• Dawgfish
    Options
    That's a really nice setup Mickey! A few observations; the Carmen while a great cartridge is not necessarily the best match for the 750 arm, particularly the 12 inch version. That arm is on the heavy side for that cartridge. The MC20mk2 is a much better match for that arm since it has lower compliance than the Carmen. I'm afraid your not helping the situation by going with the heavier 16 gram rosewood headshell either. The Technics headshell for the SL1200 which Dromonds was eluding to above at 7 grams would be a much better choice to use with the Carmen on that arm. Also the fluid damping is not helping the matter. The damping adds resistance to the arm which is what you don't need when running an arm on the heavier side with a high compliance cartridge. The rosewood headshell would be a much better match with the MC20 than the Carmen.

Having said all of that the 12' 750 arm is a killer match with a DL103 or 103R. A wood or aluminum bodied 103/103R is a no brainer for that arm. Also the heavier mass of the rosewood headshell is a great match with the lower compliance 103 and 103R. Fluid damping also is good with the 103s. I find more damping (**** damping screw further down) helps tame the highs, while less damping attenuates the highs. Tune to your liking. What phono stage and/or step up transformer are you using? That will go a long way towards determining wether to go with the 103 or 103R.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    That's a really nice setup Mickey! A few observations; the Carmen while a great cartridge is not necessarily the best match for the 750 arm, particularly the 12 inch version. That arm is on the heavy side for that cartridge. The MC20mk2 is a much better match for that arm since it has lower compliance than the Carmen. I'm afraid your not helping the situation by going with the heavier 16 gram rosewood headshell either. The Technics headshell for the SL1200 which Dromonds was eluding to above at 7 grams would be a much better choice to use with the Carmen on that arm. Also the fluid damping is not helping the matter. The damping adds resistance to the arm which is what you don't need when running an arm on the heavier side with a high compliance cartridge. The rosewood headshell would be a much better match with the MC20 than the Carmen.

Having said all of that the 12' 750 arm is a killer match with a DL103 or 103R. A wood or aluminum bodied 103/103R is a no brainer for that arm. Also the heavier mass of the rosewood headshell is a great match with the lower compliance 103 and 103R. Fluid damping also is good with the 103s. I find more damping (**** damping screw further down) helps tame the highs, while less damping attenuates the highs. Tune to your liking. What phono stage and/or step up transformer are you using? That will go a long way towards determining wether to go with the 103 or 103R.

Thank you so much for the recommendations! The arm as of now isn't dampened with oil. But does have a small dropper with oil, unused. I bought the Nottingham table with arm, and headshell as a used package from one of the owners at my local audio shop. I had a Carmen on hand, so that's what I used!

I'm glad to hear the denon will work, I've been wanting to try one and see what all the fuss is about. I'm waiting on a new scale, then I will try the ortofon on the rosewood head shell. I've ordered a lighter headshell from jelco.

My phono stage is an Eastern Electric Mini max. Which has a step up transformer built in.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Yeah, I said "Technics-type cartridge" above but I meant headshell. Must be losing it. I think the lighter Jelco headshell runs at or around 10 grams IIRC, which should be good I think
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That Space 294 is a nice table! I had one that I replaced the 12" Nott arm with a 12" Moerch DP-6. Moerch sold different weight arms so you could match compliance with any cartridge made.

zggybecl5nom.jpg
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    That Space 294 is a nice table! I had one that I replaced the 12" Nott arm with a 12" Moerch DP-6. Moerch sold different weight arms so you could match compliance with any cartridge made.

zggybecl5nom.jpg

I got a very good deal on it, complete with a bunch of extras. This table is so quiet, sometimes I have to double check that the needle dropped. It can go from quiet to explosive dynamics... incredible.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's a beauty to look at as well! It was sad when Fletcher, the founder of Nottingham, passed away from colon cancer back in 2010.

I started with a Space Deck then moved up to the 294. The 14" platter allowed use of a periphery ring although you had to be careful. One drop and you could injure a record.
  • Dawgfish
    edited July 2017
    Options
    That's a great phono stage! You have a really nice setup! I looked at the specs and the 100 ohms loading with the Minimax for Lomcs falls right in the middle of the optimum loading range (for suts) between the 103R and 103. With a SUT I like the 103R loaded at 50ohms and like the 103 around 150ohms. The loading with your Minimax is right in the middle, so would probably sound great with either. The 103R is better balanced from top to bottom, the 103 has the better midrange (still one of the best midranges out there). Both will put a huge smile on your face!
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    That's a great phono stage! You have a really nice setup! I looked at the specs and the 100 ohms loading with the Minimax for Lomcs falls right in the middle of the optimum loading range (for suts) between the 103R and 103. With a SUT I like the 103R loaded at 50ohms and like the 103 around 150ohms. The loading with your Minimax is right in the middle, so would probably sound great with either. The 103R is better balanced from top to bottom, the 103 has the better midrange (still one of the best midranges out there). Both will put a huge smile on your face!

Very torn between the two. The regular 103 is a lot cheaper. Lol
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    Options
    It's a beauty to look at as well! It was sad when Fletcher, the founder of Nottingham, passed away from colon cancer back in 2010.

I started with a Space Deck then moved up to the 294. The 14" platter allowed use of a periphery ring although you had to be careful. One drop and you could injure a record.

The gentle spin of the platter takes some getting used. And not to mention it's a huge table, weighing in at 80 lbs, it barely fits on top of my rack.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• SCompRacer
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The gentle spin of the platter takes some getting used. And not to mention it's a huge table, weighing in at 80 lbs, it barely fits on top of my rack.

Yup, the Space Deck was like that too. Tom Fletcher believed you got less cogging taking place with the motor/belt compared to a high torque motor. Smooth is good.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2017
    Options

The mid-range is liquid, highs are extended yet smooth. The Micro Linear stylus tracks deep in the groove. This can result in less/no ticks and pops even on a damaged record. Someone was here the other day and commented on how quiet (ticks and pop wise) my vinyl playback was. IMO there are great benefits of a micro line stylus that are not always talked about.

Hey! I resemble that someone! :blush:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I m

Yup, the Space Deck was like that too. Tom Fletcher believed you got less cogging taking place with the motor/belt compared to a high torque motor. Smooth is good.

Which table did you move to? Plan is to upgrade the arm around winter time. Was going to an Abis TA1L, my dealer gives me a nice price on them.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Soundsmith Carmen

Nice and quite in my rig and very versatile.

Hard to beat for the $$$ IMHO
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • SCompRacer
    Options

Which table did you move to? Plan is to upgrade the arm around winter time. Was going to an Abis TA1L, my dealer gives me a nice price on them.

Yeah, arms can be pricey!

A DIY heavy plinth heavy platter Lenco idler drive. While it may not look it, it was a serious upgrade and will go toe to toe with high dollar tables.

While it didn't need it, it sports a Phoenix Engineering power supply and RoadRunner tach, so speed is electronically controlled. The nice thing is 33 and 45 can be changed by pushing a button instead of changing idler position.

The arm is an inexpensive linear tracking air bearing arm. Advanced Analog MG-1 with regular arm and the Ultra P arm option. While not as pretty or finessed as the Rockports and such, it gets the job done nicely for way less money.

Compressor is mounted in basement. Air line goes through wall into push-lock bulkhead fitting in media wall plate. A remote control key fob turns the compressor on, no running downstairs.

I was a beta tester for Phoenix with the 25 watt PS. He had the 4 and 15 watt, but the Lenco is around 20 IIRC.

The table used to be all black (Cadillac Black, automotive clear coat). I got tired of the all black so my buddy Aaron sourced some Maple for arm boards/sides with Walnut accents from his Dad's farm.

a70q5905xpbo.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't impress too easily when it comes to hifi stuff... but that Lenco/linear arm impresses me :)
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    ^^ now that's impressive, and I think it's gorgeous. A key fob to turn on air the compressor... push lock fittings in the wallplate! Awesome attention to detail. Very nice.

I have a problem buying and collecting tubes, I feel like cartridges could go this direction as well, except more expensive.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Dawgfish
    Options
    ^^ now that's impressive, and I think it's gorgeous. A key fob to turn on air the compressor... push lock fittings in the wallplate! Awesome attention to detail. Very nice.

I have a problem buying and collecting tubes, I feel like cartridges could go this direction as well, except more expensive.

Yep! Trust me it can! I'm slowly recovering from both addictions!
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Picked up a denon DL 103 for cheap! So why not give it a go and see what all this hype is about? Once I'm acclimated to it, I will do the wood or aluminum body mod on it.

I did some reading and got my learn on, after doing the math, the Carmen cartridge falls in at about 6.7 hz, well out of range of the 8-12 spec. With the rosewood head shell the denon will be perfect.

A new jelco head shell is on the way, I believe it's 9 grams, which will barely squeeze the Carmen into spec around 8 hz.
    2 channel:
    Theater: