DAC - interested in purchasing..... opinions...

So, I'm somewhat interested in purchasing a media player / DAC. I currently have a few nice C.D. players: a Rega Planet and a Primaluna Prologue Eight tubed player.

As I am trying to figure this out, to have a fairly nice media player, you need a computer, DAC and a media player, correct? Does anyone make an all in one system, or do you need to put atleast a few components together to have a good sounding digital system?

And, at what price point can you get a computer based system that sounds as good as a good CD player?

Comments

• dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited July 2017
    i have the sonos connect. my music is on a hard drive, the hard drive it plugged into my wireless router, it streams the music from the hard drive to my stereo.. i can control it with a PC or a phone. using the sonos internal DAC it does not sound any different than my CD player. if i wanted to make it even better i could hook the sonos to a external DAC. a external DAC is optional.

now you could get a DAC and hook the computer directly to the DAC with a USB cable. so all you would need would be a computer and a DAC if you go that way.

they do make some amps that have built in wi fi and blue tooth now that will stream music, i am not sure if these are any good but the Onkyo TX-8160 or Onkyo TX-8270 im pretty sure they both have a descent DAC built into the amp. if i were looking for a new amp i would probably audition this one. one of those even has HDMI inputs and outputs which you never see on a 2 channel amp..

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited July 2017
    My next DAC will be something that is Ethernet Direct Attached. Something like the Oppo Sonica, TEAC NT 503, may be the Cambridge Azure 851D.

My goal is again to reduce the chain and remove the computer from being directly in the stream of things. Going to move to a Tablet and NAS / Streamer setup.
  • jolson72
    jolson72 Posts: 46
    dannylightning: so i could do a mac mini, hooked to a dac, straight to my integrated? that is all i need, right? I am looking at the Plinius Tiki........
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Jolson, what you listed will work. If you are after maximum sound quality, a network player (Ethernet) is the way to go. It amazes me just how good audio can be by avoiding usb or hdmi directly from the computer. Sonore and SoTM are good places to start to name a few options.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    jolson72 wrote: »
    So, I'm somewhat interested in purchasing a media player / DAC. I currently have a few nice C.D. players: a Rega Planet and a Primaluna Prologue Eight tubed player.

As I am trying to figure this out, to have a fairly nice media player, you need a computer, DAC and a media player, correct? Does anyone make an all in one system, or do you need to put atleast a few components together to have a good sounding digital system?

And, at what price point can you get a computer based system that sounds as good as a good CD player?

One product crosses my mind. And that is the Auralic Aries mini. It will do everything you need, at 450$ bucks it is a steal, and a rock solid, quality piece. I use one as a streamer to my bryston BDA3, and the sound quality is stunning. The built in dac in the Aries mini is no slouch, and I think you would be quite happy with it. Look it up, it's a one box solution that is very versatile that can grow with your system.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    ^^^^
    This!

also you can put a SSD drive inside so no computer is need, except you need to use a Apple product to control it. I use a Ipod mini 2 my sister gave me when she upgraded.

Several Polkies use it now days.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • i edited that last post..

im not sure if all DACS will work with a PC or a MAC. but some DACS will and if you go that rout the computer will send the audio to the DAC, the DAC will send the audio to your amp.. so no network media player needed if you go that rout...

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited July 2017
    the Tiki would need to be hooked to a network with wifi or Ethernet cable and actually it may not do wifi .

you cant hook it directly to a computer., the Tiki does not have a digital out so you would not be able to hook to up to a external dac.. you would be stuck with DAC that is built into the Tiki..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Auralic Aries mini, very nice piece of kit. I love mine and they aint all that spensive. See Dskip he will hook you up.
  • jolson72
    So, those of you with an Auralic Aries mini : comparable to a good CD player? As good? I know it's more convenient, but I don't want to take a large step backwards.....

And from the above posts with the Aries Mini, I can put a SSD drive inside it, control it with a ipad, and that is all I need? Sounds good!
  • jolson72
    who is Dskip? How is he found?
  • afterburnt
    My next DAC will be something that is Ethernet Direct Attached. Something like the Oppo Sonica, TEAC NT 503, may be the Cambridge Azure 851D.

My goal is again to reduce the chain and remove the computer from being directly in the stream of things. Going to move to a Tablet and NAS / Streamer setup.

Auralic Aries mini
  • Aries mini can only be controlled by apple corret ?
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    yes need apple for now, Skip is @DSkip and he sells Auralic products.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Absolute_Zero
    Absolute_Zero Posts: 72
    edited July 2017
    Aries mini can only be controlled by apple corret ?

Correct. So you have to add in the cost of the Apple iOS device. I'm not doing the Auralic since I'm not doing single ended and I don't have an iPad. I have a $93 8 inch Windows Tablet that has a great display on it. I also have to have a device that does XLR/Balanced. Oppo and TEAC both make great sounding products for under $1000.
  • mikeyb128
    So, those of you with an Auralic Aries mini : comparable to a good CD player? As good? I know it's more convenient, but I don't want to take a large step backwards.....

And from the above posts with the Aries Mini, I can put a SSD drive inside it, control it with a ipad, and that is all I need? Sounds good!

I would say yes, even with the internal DAC (interconnect depending). My bryston Aries combo sounds better than a 2500$ shanling with 1500$ in mods... and 300$ in tubes.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jolson72 wrote: »

The approach of adding in an SSD or other 2.5" form factor HD will work until you max out it's space. I have over 6TB of music. So I have that on a NAS.
  • mikeyb128

The approach of adding in an SSD or other 2.5" form factor HD will work until you max out it's space. I have over 6TB of music. So I have that on a NAS.

Head over to the Auralic website and do some reading. That will answer all of your questions. This thing will do everything you need.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• afterburnt
    who is Dskip? How is he found?

He's a Polkie, PM him
  • afterburnt
    Aries mini can only be controlled by apple corret ?

Correct. So you have to add in the cost of the Apple iOS device. I'm not doing the Auralic since I'm not doing single ended and I don't have an iPad. I have a $93 8 inch Windows Tablet that has a great display on it. I also have to have a device that does XLR/Balanced. Oppo and TEAC both make great sounding products for under $1000.

Word on the street is they have an Android app in the works and should be out soonish. I sprung for an evil iPad to run it and I have no regrets but I do miss my soul.
  • nice. im sure they would sell more of them if they did, it would make me think about buying one next time i needed a streaming player.

one thing i like about my sonos.. i can control it form my phone or my PC but i really prefer using it on my PC
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect