Original Vintage monitor 10A peerless tweeter vs. mw audio mt-4115 tweeter comparison

I'm wondering if there is anybody out there that has experience w/ both of these tweeters. How do they compare? Is the mt-4115 a lil better, about the same or a lil less good than the peerless? If I'm correct, the mt-4115 is supposed to be a clone of the peerless. Thanks
Music Hall MMF-2.2 > Musical Fidelity V-LPS 2 or NAD C 516BEE > Emotiva XSP-1 G2 > Emotiva UPA-1 (x2) > vintage Polk Audio monitor 7c TL modded w/ Sonicaps and mills & RD0-198’s

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I have a pair of the MW Peerless clone tweeters. I prefer the original Peerless.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited July 2017
    Looking at Midwests Ebay listing they say the mt-4115 are 8 ohms with a RE of 6.8 ohms. Is RE the same as DC resistance? If it is the new ones don't have the same specs as my original peerless with a DCR of 8.8 ohms.

They should have a different crossover point . Am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peerless-Copy-8-ohm-Tweeter-Good-Replacement-for-Polk-ADS-Speakers-MT-4115-8-/150364380186?hash=item23026a5c1a:m:mT__EuJfZaMx5mlSTZS7VJQ
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    I'm not sure where you're getting 8.8 ohms for the Polk Peerless, it's actually 7.8 ohms.

That said, there certainly is a difference between the original and the Midwest replacement, so a crossover adjustment would be a good idea.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    edited July 2017
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you're getting 8.8 ohms for the Polk Peerless, it's actually 7.8 ohms.

That said, there certainly is a difference between the original and the Midwest replacement, so a crossover adjustment would be a good idea.

I took the tweeter off of my Monitor 10a and that was the measurement I got with my multi-tester. Would that mean I might have a problem with the tweeter? It sounds very good to my ears but I can't hear much over 10,000 Hz.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,785
    Interesting. All 4 of mine measure 7.8 ohms. What does your other one measure?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    F1nut wrote: »
    Interesting. All 4 of mine measure 7.8 ohms. What does your other one measure?

Unfortunately I only have one original Peerless right now. The other is a mismatched RD0198 and I am looking for a replacement (I have a recent post about this).

I guess if I go the Peerless repro route I will have to get two of them so they match.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Per Joe at Midwest when I enquired about the replacements back in March:

"the large batch coming this fall (Sept.) should sell for $39.95 each instead of $44.95 each"

Wouldn't hurt to contact them to verify this if you want to save the $10.