Brahms, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Liszt, Strauss. In what order?

One a month, what should I get first?

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    A rock?
    fix it

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    As in what listening order?
    You buying, or checking them out on Tidal?
    Oh wait, I forgot you're boycotting.
    I disabled signatures.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Awful Willow, just awful... :p

Can't count out some American composers... (*cough* Copland, Gershwin *cough*)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2017
    Which Strauss? Richard or "The Waltz King" Johann?

In the former case, it's kind of hard to beat Also Sprach Zarathustra for impact. It's relatively "modern", too, of course.

FWIW, I am none too crazy about any of the titular composers (other than the Strausses); my tastes run towards Beethoven, Mozart, JS Bach... although I also quite like Dvořák. And that Russian guy... Tsi -- Tshch -- Tschkh -- umm -- Tschaikowsky! Yeah, that guy! Some fine stuff. And Muggg -- Murg -- Mugru -- ahh -- Mussorgsky... him, too.

... and yeah, Aaron Copeland (and Gershwin, although he was somewhat less of a 'serious' music composer) are well worth spending some quality time with.

This doesn't help any, does it?

What was the question again?

0f8fbd0e5a3f4b5e475a0320f34c5123.jpg
  • afterburnt
    It's a "Strauss family" collection. @mhardy6647 I already have collections of your preferred composers. I enjoy classical music immensely and want to have the best of the best of the best in my library. Where would yall say Rachmaninov fits in?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    For background music, don't forget Baroque. It's not as intense as classical or romantic era music. Of course Bach was the big wig (pun intended) from the baroque era, but I think Vivaldi *may* be my favorite. Bach was a keyboardist (organ), and Vivaldi was inclined towards strings since he was a violinist. I especially like Vivaldi's mandolin and lute/guitar works. Four Seasons was his biggest hit.

Outside of baroque, the score from Peer Gynt by Edvard Grieg is a favorite of mine.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Frescobaldi was good, too -- speaking of Baroque.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I participated in a kickstarter in 2010 to record & release, for free, a goodly assortment of classical music through the Museopen project.
    Some very good versions of pieces & composers mentioned above

I point you to https://archive.org/details/musopen-lossless-dvd

A good assortment done by the Czech National Symphony Orchestra
    And it's free
  • jdjohn
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Schubert?
    Gone too young...even younger than Mozart.

Telemann was another very prolific baroque composer. He wrote almost as many works as Bach and Handel combined.

Btw, anytime you see 'court music', it is typically baroque chamber-type music.

Thanks for the link, Tony P!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • afterburnt
    @tonyp063 Excellent! That's a lot of tunes dude. That will keep me busy for a minute. Thanks!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2017
    Stick with Movie sound tracks, that is where you find some of the best classical

check out the Thomas Newmans "Meet joe Black" I sent ya :)

or
    http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/98274/Janos_Starker-Bach_6_Cello_Suites-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • afterburnt

It says family because Johann Strauss Sr. and three of his sons were all composers. They each had their own band that played their waltzes, polkas, mazurkas, and marches at formal balls held in Vienna Austria. Johann Strauss Jr. was the most prominent and famous of the Strauss family. Johann Jr. also composed "operetas" such as "Die Fledermaus," the Bat (literally flying mouse). France has its "pomme de terre" potatoes, literally ground apples.

I had Lps in the 60s with a Strauss descendant still conducting the music of his great great grandfather, and uncles. Many of the musicians on the Boskovsky CDs are descendants of musicians that played for Johnann Strauss Sr, Jr, et al. Because of their musical tradition, these musicians play the Strauss waltzes with what is called "The Viennese lilt." It is a style of playing unique to Vienna.

Far out, you know your stuff. I, unfortunately, suffer from CRAFTS, I am no longer able to learn and have forgotten more stuff than most people will ever know. I will make it a point to get my read on while listening. I have discovered a lot of stuff reading Wikipedia, one thing leads to another on there with some real surprises of who record with who.
  • afterburnt
    I downloaded Tony's Zip file but it says invalid. Has anyone else tried it?
  • tonyp063

On a Windows PC?
    I've heard of that happening because the zip file was made on a Macintosh & that makes funkiness in the filenameing.
    Supposedly 7-Zip or WinRAR can deal with it.

Here's where the individual files live as FLAC

https://archive.org/details/MusopenCollectionAsFlac

• afterburnt
    Most cool thanks I will try it.
  • jdjohn
    Dang...the FLAC files said 3 hours download time :(
  • afterburnt
    hell mines been goin an hour and says 5 hours left lol
  • jdjohn
    The zip file finally finished downloading on my Windows PC, but won't open :(
  • afterburnt

jdjohn wrote: »
    The zip file finally finished downloading on my Windows PC, but won't open :(
    tonyp063 wrote: »

On a Windows PC?
    I've heard of that happening because the zip file was made on a Macintosh & that makes funkiness in the filenameing.
    Supposedly 7-Zip or WinRAR can deal with it.

Here's where the individual files live as FLAC

https://archive.org/details/MusopenCollectionAsFlac
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    One a month, what should I get first?

Among the composers on this list, my first listen would be to Chopin with Maria João Pires or Ivan Moravec on the piano.

But that is a purely personal preference.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• afterburnt
    Does anyone hear a little bell on those recordings?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Only if I'm off my meds
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyp063
    Does anyone hear a little bell on those recordings?

I do not