speaker location - front ported speakers - wall distance

Options
jolson72
jolson72 Posts: 46
Just trying to figure out speaker locations for a new set of speakers. So am I correct in assuming that front ported speakers aren't as affected by their exact location to the rear wall as rear ported speakers? Or will the speakers get a bit more 'boomy" the closer to the wall they are?

I know I can move them, but they are awfully heavy..... Maybe 60 - 70 pounds each. Making spikes for the stands, then I'll refine the speaker location. h92yakhoh6hq.jpg

Comments

• dannylightning
    Options
    you have a manual for those, it may tell you the recommended distance from the walls. but personally i would just move them around till you get the spot that sounds best to you.

you are correct front ported should not matter "as much". but it may still need some space.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I would bring them forward a bit so the front of the speakers is even with or an inch or two in front of the rack. Distance from the front wall should not be an issue with those speakers in that location. Toe them in so they are pointed at your shoulders in your seated area. If you can, set the speakers so your seated position and the speakers form roughly an equal triangle. The tweeters should be even with your ears as close as possible. Could be a shorter stand may work better for that since the tweeters are high mounted on the speakers?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I found running front ported speakers pretty close to the rear wall to have little impact on them.

Corner loading them, or one of them can impact them though.
  • jolson72
    Options
    Upstatemax : corner loading means getting them too close to the corner of a room, right?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Objects (racks etc) in between the speakers will deteriorate the stereo image (sound stage)

Front of speakers should clear rack by at leat 2-4".

Height is another tweak, along with toe-in and width between speakers
    6'-8' is a start, some masking tape is useful to mark

Those speakers should and are capable of producing a nice sound stage, which is a 3-dimensional effect like the band is on stage.

Corner loading is a term for bass response, by using the corners of the room to create more resonance but to much can cause a bloated bass effect.

It's all about dialing in a system to whats best to your ears, and what genres of music you listen too.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    jolson72 wrote: »
    Upstatemax : corner loading means getting them too close to the corner of a room, right?

It's hard to say "too" close. Getting them in the corner might help with bass response and a better balance. But it can also lead to bloated bass and loss of a balanced response.

It's all dependent on the room, speaker and your preferences...

As txcoastal1 said, it's all about dialing it to what's best for your ears.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is your right speaker near a corner too, like the left?

When you are boxed by corners close to sidewalls, first reflection points on sidewall can obscure the stereo image, narrow the sound stage. Acoustic treatments will help prevent that.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • jolson72
    Options
    Putting the speakers on spikes right now. Will take a photo in a few minutes of where the speakers are sitting. From the installation instructions, the speakers should be 3/4 of the distance apart from the sitting area.... So in my case, the speakers should be about 7.5 feet apart, as the listening distance is about 10'. Trying to slowly dial it in.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Also on the height of your speaker and listening chair or sofa

Your sound will most likely be best heard with ears between the red lines...and yes the sweet spot gets better by every inch, but of course not everyone can sit in the "sweetest spot" ;)

8ca0b2ip0ntl.jpg
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• jolson72
    Options
    TX Coastal: sounds like I need a minimal rack as well. I think what I have is too big...
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Just bring the speakers a little forward, if you have kids family running through the room move them back

When no buddies around move them to the sweet spot and enjoy....no rules here

• jolson72
    Options
    I have them about a foot from the wall. 1.5 to 2 feet is likely better?
    7i612y35cz9s.jpg
  • jolson72
    Options
    TXCoasal: luckily, the tweeter height is just right for the couch. I think I'll need to get the speakers a bit closer together, and get a smaller stereo cabinet..... Still trying to decide if I want to keep a CD player, or go for a good computer / DAC setup.....
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    You can best start of with an equilateral triangle by toeing in the speakers. Get a folding chair to move around in your listening position. Might not be the best for every day life style, but most of us take advantage when just hanging out and family is away.

Your just looking for the sweet spot, which is likely where the edge of the table is just in front of your couch, with a little more toe in.

But this all varies, and like I said may not be practical for daily use, but fun when you can do it.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    @jolson72 - You may find the following information useful:

http://www.myspeakersetup.com/

https://youtu.be/84Pf0ycbyBM
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I have them about a foot from the wall. 1.5 to 2 feet is likely better?
    7i612y35cz9s.jpg

That's a tough room to work with because of the opening in the wall unless there is a door there that can be closed. Or, can the system be moved to the opposite end of the room? I suspect the way it's set up now a good balance will be difficult to achieve for two channel stereo.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    That's a cool room, but man is that a tough one to work with. You're couch is way too far away for one. I would tear everything down, and situate the speakers on either side of the fire place, and put the equipment rack off to the side. A friend of mine does this, and it works out very nice.

I would think that door way is sucking out your soundstage? I've had the displeasure of working with some tricky rooms, but in the end, and after a lot of buggering around, I figured things out.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• dannylightning
    Options
    i would try to get that speaker cable laying flat on the ground.. the way its hanging off that speaker i see someone stepping on it at some point and knocking over the speaker..

yes the couch looks too far away.. generally if the speakers are 10 feet apart you want to have the couch about 10 feet away from the speakers. each line in the tangle should be the same length..

sd99135z9s9f.jpg

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• jolson72
    Options
    Yes, the speaker cables are temporary. Trying to figure out the best location, first. Then I might drill through the floor so they can be below the carpet. Still moving, trying to figure out the best location.
  • jolson72
    Options
    Part of my thoughts on my current speaker / stereo placement is the long room that I have to work with. Probably 15 feet wide and 40 feet long. Here is a photo. I'd get better sound if I had the stereo on the wall with the fireplace, most likely?

The photo shows the room. You can see the chair at the bottom of the photo,
    which is where the dining room table is. Again, I appreciate all the help:

7bj1epz1onyr.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Good thoughts and GREAT room.
    Following w/ interest... :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Looks like you have a good spot on left side of the room. Move the LP' s to where stereo is now. What I do not know is whether or not you have an outlet there.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Things would be so much easier for audio if fireplaces did not exist in living rooms. :)

I agree, if there is enough room to the left of the fireplace that may be the best location.
  • jolson72
    Options
    thanks for the continued help. another question: having the stereo facing a big bank of windows.... Is that bad for the sound, or too hard / harsh? Here are a few more photos. Most people seem to think I should put my system near the fireplace. It would face the windows, with the listening area being a couch sitting near the windows. Thoughts?0jckkes2fj79.jpg
    qydfxtgwrjdq.jpg
    s3nkyvr36oay.jpg
  • Emlyn
    Options
    You would want to put some curtains up on the windows and close them when listening to music. Looks to me like it is best to have the speakers flanking the fireplace given there is not enough room to the left and there is another doorway there.
  • jolson72
    Options
    Emlyn: thanks for the help. I am not interested in curtains, or going to that level for sound. Is the fireplace still my best option? Makes speaker cable / stereo placement difficult as well, however.... Always some sort of difficulty....
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I agree, there's not really an ideal audio choice in that room and it is a good looking window. You appear to have a really nice LP collection, so a turntable is necessary there which means a two channel system instead of a single wireless streaming speaker set up some people have moved to. Since everything is already set up where it's at now, I'd stick with it for a while with minor tweaks. To answer your original question though, you would just need to move the speakers out a little bit from the front wall and make them equal distance and toe in from each side wall.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    thanks for the continued help. another question: having the stereo facing a big bank of windows.... Is that bad for the sound, or too hard / harsh? Here are a few more photos. Most people seem to think I should put my system near the fireplace. It would face the windows, with the listening area being a couch sitting near the windows. Thoughts?0jckkes2fj79.jpg
    qydfxtgwrjdq.jpg
    s3nkyvr36oay.jpg

I like the Mid Century Modern influence.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.