SDA SRS

Options
The interconnect cable on my srt sda dose not seem to make any differance in sound connected or not.Any ideas why not?

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Cable conductor broken?

Cable connector in the speaker cabinet has loose contacts?

MONO SIGNAL from the preamp/receiver?

Broken/disconnected wires in the speaker cabinet(s)?

Failed SDA drivers--frozen, open voice coil, etc.
  • Billcooley
    Billcooley Posts: 20
    Options
    Cable is good , amp is two channel tube,sda drivers all work (paper towel roll test).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You need to provide a lot more info. Are the speakers new to you? How exactly are they positioned? Is the tube amp common ground? Give us as much information and details as possible. The paper towel test really doesn't work as the SDA drivers may be sympathetic.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    Yes they are new to me have had them a few months . I have read the forums on set up,8' apart 4'feet from side walls 6"off back wall. The tube amp is silk audio 100B common ground. I think all drivers and tweeters are working . The center sound stage is amazing I just think from reading the forums I should be getting more depth and width. Thanks for your replies.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    Make sure that your speakers are properly placed with the left speaker on your left and right on your right as you look at them from your listening chair. Having them backwards will affect SDA imaging as they are having to work backwards from their design.

The best way to test SDA signal is to unhook the left speaker from the left amp while it is still hooked to the right speaker with the interconnect. This stops all stereo signal from getting to the left and confusing your towel roll test. The outside left drivers should be producing the right side signal from them.

Test the right side with a similar process.

If all this still doesn't make it clear, then you will need to dig very deep into the speakers to see if all the wiring is correct on each driver. This takes time and patience to trace. A lot of SDA speakers have had the wiring messed with over the years and any variation from stock affects how they work.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Billcooley
    Options
    Thanks Dennis will do.
  • Billcooley
    Options
    It seems to me that the inside drivers are firing when I unhook left from right and vice versa.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Is the red binding post nut on the left or right looking directly at the binding post plate.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    On the right.I have great center stage.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Ok, that is correct.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited July 2017
    Options

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    I switched speaker wires left to right, right to left sounds the same to me . Could it be my 60 year old ears?
  • F1nut
    Options
    I doubt it. Something is amiss inside those speakers.

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    Thanks f1 I was hoping not but am beginning to suspect you are right, Now what?
  • F1nut
    Options
    You're going to have to inside. Check out the VR3 website for the SDA handbook. Also, download the schematic from here.

You might mention what city you live close to as there may be a Polkie close to you that would be willing to help.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Options
    Billcooley wrote: »
    Cable is good ,
    HOW do you know?
    amp is two channel tube,
    Means nothing if the preamp is putting out a mono signal.
    sda drivers all work (paper towel roll test).
    Do they work when there's no stereo signal to that speaker cabinet?
    from reading the forums I should be getting more depth and width.
    The width of the soundstage is dependent on the separation inherent in the source. This is why a mono signal provides no SDA effect.

In a normal stereo recording, there should be enough stereo separation to make a VERY noticeable difference with the SDA cable connected vs. disconnected.
    It seems to me that the inside drivers are firing when I unhook left from right and vice versa.
    What do you mean by "unhooking left from right and vice versa"?

Are you certain that you don't have + and - wired backwards somewhere in the system from source, to preamp, to power amp, to speakers?
  • Billcooley
    Options
    I am in central Oregon about 40 miles north of Bend.
  • Billcooley
    Options
    The cable I made myself, how do I test ohm meter? If I disconnect speaker wire from one speaker at a time I still have sound if interconnect cable is attached, so I that makes me think the cable is working.
  • Billcooley
    Options
    Amp is integrated tube , Have read of others using same amp with no problem. Unhooking left from right vise versa , unhooking speaker wire and leaving interconnect cable attached.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, the one Polkie that I know is close to you doesn't post any longer. Hopefully someone else close will see this and step up.

It seems to me from what you said about still getting sound that your cable is working.

If you have any drivers wired incorrectly that will kill the SDA feature, so check into that.

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    I will do,thanks.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options

If the left speaker is unhooked from the amp by unplugging the left speaker cable, but leaving it still connected to the right speaker by the interconnect, the outside drivers on the left speaker should have a signal and the inside drivers of the right should have a signal. If this doesn't happen, them something is wired wrong or the SDA cable may be bad.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Schurkey
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    What do you mean by "unhooking left from right and vice versa"?
    Unhooking left from right vise versa , unhooking speaker wire and leaving interconnect cable attached.
    I am still too stupid to figure this out.

You are unhooking the left WHAT from the right WHAT? You are unhooking the left speaker cabinet from the right amp channel??? That doesn't make sense.

You are unhooking the left speaker cabinet from the right speaker cabinet??? That doesn't make sense, you say the interconnect cable is still in place.

You are unhooking the left amplifier channel from the right speaker cabinet??? Doesn't make sense either.

Unhook ONLY the left + cable from the left speaker cabinet, tell us what happens.

Reconnect left + cable to left cabinet. Unhook ONLY the right + cable from the right speaker cabinet, tell us what happens.
  • Billcooley
    Options
    I am unhooking the left speaker from the amp and leaving the interconnect cable attached, while the right speaker is still hooked to the amp, then I just reversed the process, Clear as mud?
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Here is another thread that could possibly help:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177339/sdas-and-tubes
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Billcooley
    Options
    Thanks good read. I am thinking I need more juice.
  • F1nut
    Options
    How much juice do you have now?

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    The tube amp is 60 watt in ultralinear mode and 30 watt in triode mode.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Definitely not enough in triode, but ok in ultralinear as long as you're not trying to get rock concert levels. Still, more wouldn't hurt.

Regardless, you should be getting the full SDA experience.

President of Club Polk

• Billcooley
    Options
    I do not listen past half volume at the most. I have one tube that I can not Bias up to where it needs to be . I will replace that tube and see what happens.