RTi 12

Options
Scotis
Scotis Posts: 2
Some used Polk Audio RTi 12 speakers are available for $250 each - is that a good deal? If so - any advise on how to best use them?

Best Answer

Answers

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I sold a minty pair about 5 years ago for $450.00. Probably could have held out for a bit more but wanted em gone. Offer 4 bills and maybe meet in the middle?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    They are great for HT. Ok for 2 ch listening. Very forward treble and you need A LOT of quality power to make em sing.
  • Scotis
    Scotis Posts: 2
    Options
    They are not going to budge on the price - I guess is it a good value at $250 each? Could I get better at that price?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Scotis - tell us more about how you intend to use them, and whether using them with existing gear.

Resist the urge to get sucked into buying them based on their impressive size. That speaker needs a high current amp to work properly. No BS. You'll may be disappointed otherwise.

As noted, for that money, you may be able to find something more appropriate and easier to drive, but it depends what your goals are for the system.

Unless you know for a fact that this is the speaker you want, and have a way to power them properly, you may be burdening yourself unnecessarily with a speaker that you might find yourself chasing your tail to get to perform to your liking. Speaking from experience with the RTi10, which is next version down from the RTi12, and I even had a proper amp. Fine for HT, harsh for music.

Take your time, dude.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I just picked up a pair of Lsi15 for cheaper than that. Still hard to power but IMHO much more pleasing to listen to. I don't think $500 for Rti12s is that good of a deal. Wait around and you'll find something better.