RCM issue

Options
miner
miner Posts: 1,305
I have a Nitty Gritty MiniPro2 RCM and was using it this weekend. I generally wait until I have 10+ LPs to clean before I set up my station. I use the butler's pantry off of our kitchen to do my cleaning - gives me room to spread out. I cleaned 15 LPs in groups of 5 - resting between sets of 5 to let RCM relax a bit. I typically hand clean with an enzyme, vacuum off with RCM then clean again on the RCM with the home made brew cleaning fluid. All was working well until LP 15. Once I put it on the RCM and turned on motor to spin so the brushes could spread the fluid all was well; I then flipped on the vacuum motor and the GFI switch tripped. I reset it and tried again, it tripped again when I turned on the vacuum motor. Turning on the motor to spin the LP did not trip the GFI. If I plug the RCM into a non-GFI switched outlet all works as designed but I feel it may not be a safe working environment - there was a reason he GFI tripped. Why did GFI not trip until after a number of LPs cleaned, and, any harm in running via a non-GFI outlet? All comments and suggestions appreciated. Thank you. I do love the dual-sided cleaning of the NG unit.
[

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Are you using an extension cord by chance?
    Do GFI receptacles "wear out" after a while?
    I disabled signatures.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    GFI outlets are not much more than localized circuit breakers, and are designed to be tripped many times, even forceably so (hence the test switch). Most GFIs are rated for 15A quick blow, as opposed to a standard circuit breaker which is slow blow. One of 2 things: the vac is drawing too much current due to damage or heat, or the outlet is hot, doing the same thing.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    You may have a loose wire, or perhaps some moisture where it doesn't belong causing a slight short to ground.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited June 2017
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »
    You may have a loose wire, or perhaps some moisture where it doesn't belong causing a slight short to ground.

This ^^^^ the RCM may have a leak or solution got to where it should not to be.

GFI's do wear out but I do not feel that is your problem. Newer GFI's self test every few seconds and if the sense something they will no longer work. One of the reason that I only use the GFI's with a light to indicate off or on easier to spot a problem quickly. In our basement we used to get deep water during bad storms. Since we have a fridge and freezer as well as washer and dryer down there I caught the wife walking through water with live outlets Thought I should make it safer.... Come to think of it now maybe I should of left them straight outlets it might be saving me a LOT of money now:)

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I agree with the above, you may have a small fluid leak somewhere. Good news is NG has a great to work with service department and fairly reasonable work as well!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre