Modern Washer/Dryers

Options
I have an issue with my 15-18 year old Maytag Neptune washer. It works but it constantly stops mid-cycle. It stops on average 3 times per wash and I need to hit the start button again to advance the cycle. It's a major PITA. Internet research suggests that it it likely a problem with the water inlet valve. It's ~$100 part which I could potentially replace myself (but who knows). Or it could be something else completely. So I am considering biting the bullet and buying a new unit. There are alot of 4th of July sales going on, so it seems to be not a terrible time to buy. However....how do these newer units compare to the older ones? They certainly look nicer but is it a case of "they don't make them like they used to?" We have 3 kids so our laundry is plentiful and we could certainly benefit from a higher capacity unit. If we do buy new, what are the better units? Front load or top load? Just looking for recent buyers to chime in with advice. I don't plan on replacing the dryer as it works like a champ, but a mismatched set may trigger some OCD for me. But I think I can live with a mismatched set for now. Anyway, hit me with wisdom.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Speed Queen
    Old School top loader...wouldn't even think about going back to front loaders

Speed Queen is a little pricey, probably no 4th of July sales...but its a beast

They have an upgraded model with more fancy settings, but I wanted something simple....no processor boards, no DC conversion etc

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx?mn=AWN432SP113TW04#build-your-own
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Speed Queen is a little pricey, probably no 4th of July sales...

Can you share a ballpark price range? I don't see any pricing on this website.

But they do have several dealers near me within 10 miles.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    $1600 for the pair if i recall, may have paid $1400
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Speed Queen

They have an upgraded model with more fancy settings, but I wanted something simple....no processor boards, no DC conversion etc

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx?mn=AWN432SP113TW04#build-your-own

The guy has the best audio on this forum & can fix your washer/dryer issue!
    NICE! :D

I have 2 project houses, my daughters house, and my own
    Owned 3 sets of front loaders, and 2 sets of speed queens

Wife told me if I brought another front loader into the home....she'll move out.. :/:/:/

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    TX is right on with the Speed Queen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Bought the Speed Queen set myself. $1600.00 with five year warranty .Just like great audio. Quality comes at a price. Those that know,choose Speed Queen. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    I've got Samsung front loaders. It's just my wife and I and we love them. They have a redesigned gasket that doesn't trap water and the washer has a door to add something during s cycle, which we use as a way to air out the washer without having the door completely open. They were $500 each. We've only had them for a year but I've got 0 complaints. My parents still have their LG front loaders from 15 years ago. I also looked at speed queen but they were pricey and we maybe use ours once a week so it wasn't really worth it. With a house full of kids maybe that kind of power is more necessary.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I dunno....I would but the part and fix it myself. I did that twice with our dryer until it completely crapped out.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited June 2017
    Options
    After I bought a other pair of speakers and the wife rolled her eyes with that really look, she kindly reminded me of a new washer and dryer that I told her we would eventually get. I don't do big box stores when it comes to appliances, we went in the store i went to the back side of the store where they are reasonably priced she fell for the salesman pressure and proceeded to give in on a pair of Maytag Maxima's I could not say no 2100 smackers delivered a front loader I have yet to figure out and the dryer will steam clean your #****# clothes come on who needs all that I rolled my eyes at her she just smiled. Good luck if your wife decides!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited June 2017
    Options
    adb3da wrote: »
    I have an issue with my 15-18 year old Maytag Neptune washer. It works but it constantly stops mid-cycle. It stops on average 3 times per wash and I need to hit the start button again to advance the cycle. It's a major PITA. Internet research suggests that it it likely a problem with the water inlet valve. It's ~$100 part which I could potentially replace myself (but who knows). Or it could be something else completely. So I am considering biting the bullet and buying a new unit. There are alot of 4th of July sales going on, so it seems to be not a terrible time to buy. However....how do these newer units compare to the older ones? They certainly look nicer but is it a case of "they don't make them like they used to?" We have 3 kids so our laundry is plentiful and we could certainly benefit from a higher capacity unit. If we do buy new, what are the better units? Front load or top load? Just looking for recent buyers to chime in with advice. I don't plan on replacing the dryer as it works like a champ, but a mismatched set may trigger some OCD for me. But I think I can live with a mismatched set for now. Anyway, hit me with wisdom.

It's most likely not a water valve issue, it's a computer board issue. I had one chased it put all the parts the tech kept saying it was nothing fixed it. Luckily a very good friend owned the parts store most of the local repairmen used so i was able to return the parts. In the end the board was 450$ no way was i dropping that on the machine. Count your blessings many of those never made it 5 yrs.
    The Speed Queen's ARE the same machine used in laundry mats. I concur when my machine's are done I will also drop the coin for a set. There is nothing out there now that has the dependability that the Speed Queen has.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I have a repair guy who also sells used appliances that I get all my parts from. I have a Crosley [Whirlpool] washer/dryer from 2003 pair which has no frills and work just fine. Advice from him is to never get rid of those units and keep repairing because the new units will never last as long as the units I have now. If I have a problem I just call him and give him the model/ser.# and he advises what the problem is no charge.

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    If you want to PM me I can give you his #. He doesn't charge for repair advise. He has been spot on every time I've had a problem. Units from the era that you have are simple to fix if your inclined to do so. His parts prices are very reasonable and he also has used parts too. He's located in central Illinois.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Speed Queen

Took that advice from someone else awhile ago on a dryer....been rock solid for years. When the washer goes, Speed queen will be at the top of the list.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Wow, Speed Queen is a darling among Polk Audio fans! I will check them out later this week. There is a dealer 3 miles from my house.

Thanks for the replies thus far!
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    I've got Samsung front loaders. It's just my wife and I and we love them. They have a redesigned gasket that doesn't trap water and the washer has a door to add something during s cycle, which we use as a way to air out the washer without having the door completely open. They were $500 each. We've only had them for a year but I've got 0 complaints. My parents still have their LG front loaders from 15 years ago. I also looked at speed queen but they were pricey and we maybe use ours once a week so it wasn't really worth it. With a house full of kids maybe that kind of power is more necessary.

Those Samsung front loaders are nice. Real nice. I know several people who have them and have never heard any complaints about them. They have direct drive digital motors and a 10 year guarantee. I used one the other day and they have more features than the units in professional laundromats and look to be built just as good. They have a lot more features than a top-loader does.

Most top professional washers in laundromats are front loaders. Front loaders wash clothes better than top-loaders and can get dirt out that top loaders can't. They also have a lot more cycles for specialty washing.

Top loaders are nice too and can't be beat if space is tight but if you have nice solid floors with the space to put a front loader in I would take the front loader over a top-loader any day.

Maytag used to be an excellent brand name but not so much anymore. Now they are part of the same corporation that makes Whirlpool I think. Still decent but not really any better than any other brand. Still, getting 18 years of hard use out of any appliance is pretty-good. I had a Maytag washer that didn't last that long. The drive motor went out after only a few years. The dryer still works. I gave it to my Mother.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Our 20 yr. old Maytag dryer finally died about a year ago. I bought a Samsung to replace it. It's not nearly the dryer the Maytag was. Lots of settings but it doesn't dry as well as the Maytag if you put more than half a load in it.

Only thing I like better, is the wrinkle release, or whatever they call it, where it will keep tumbling the clothes for an hour or so after they are dry.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    I never had one of the Speed Queens but they definitely have a good reputation.

Does anyone know what kind of warranty they come with?

I'm going to be looking for a new washer and dryer here in the not-too-distant future too and will definitely be checking them out.
  • txcoastal1
    Options

• pitdogg2
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Chances you'll never need the warranty. They are heavy duty steel geared to the max.

Our local mom and pop appliance store told me that on Speed Queen gear they will offer a 5 year extended warranty over all Speed Queens manufacture's warranty because they are that confident they will never need to cover it. If they do need to do it no problem because our service will ensure you keep shopping with us. When I asked if there was any other makers they apply that to he laughed and said NO. They have been in business for 60+ years and their grandsons are now running it. My family has been buying from them as long as I have been alive.

Speed Queen did stop selling to the public for a while IIRC

https://speedqueen.com/
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    One of my sets has been moved to 3 houses and storage twice. Trailered back and forth across Texas

Used by a house full of guys for 3yrs now...not a single hiccup

• Gatecrasher
    Options
    Wow there's a dealer right down the street from me here. I'll have to go check them out.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Speed Queen washer here. 4 kids, many loads per week. Got tired of replacing cheap washers. I'll buy their dryer when the old one goes out.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    Speed Queen here as well... Never looked back, screw the other manufacturers they can't compete!!!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    We were in a very similar situation a couple weeks ago. Had a set (Kenmore) for 17 years of heavy use. Washer stopped spinning the clothes well and they were very wet going into the dryer. Then the dryer would stop several times during a cycle. I know Speed Queens are among the best, if not the best. We went to a local store that sold Speed Queen and some other brands. Not sure why the sales people weren't recommending them. I asked our sales person and she recommended a front load Electrolux. I asked her why and she said that front loaders (when used properly) wash better than any top load washer. I asked her why she recommended it and she said that there were 5 appliance salespersons and 4 of them have the exact Electrolux.

We've had the washer for over a week and have done several loads of laundry. No complaints here, and it washes a lot better than our no-frills Kenmore it replaced. We just ordered the matching gas dryer.

Hopefully the Electrolux perform well... the Speed Queen was actually what I thought they'd recommend, but again, they said good front loaders wash better.

I honestly don't think you could go wrong with the tried and true Speed Queen washer. Just wanted to throw another out there based on what I researched
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    You got the Electrolux sales pitch due to the features and sales meetings that their rep has given. Samsung gets the same attention in the big box stores. Front load, computer controlled, bells and whistles that you will never need. Speed Queen is about reliability and length of life, like most other brands abandoned for the price and feature wars.

I foolishly purchased eco friendly Whirlpool to replace our Whirlpool that lasted 20 years and the wife is about to pull her hair out over how poorly it washes. It sits in there clicking and ticking while it goes through its program more than it ever washes. I won't make that mistake again, I'll save up for the last washer dryer set that I will most likely own, a Speed Queen if they still sell to consumers.

HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I'm not saying in this instance this is what happened. Working retail for many years we were taught to recommend the best profit margin product and or the product that had the best profit on repair parts. Some companies would really drag their feet to reimburse the store for warranty parts, those we would discourage. Others we could get much more profit on extended warranties. Speed Queen will be one of those you will get neither.

My eye opening was talking to the repair tech's that serviced appliances. Out of 5 the same names came up LG ,Samsung and GE. GE was because the replacement parts are priced very high. Samsung and LG were reliability issues. Whirlpool and maytag are the lower end in parts because they have common parts used forever over the years.
  • Gatecrasher
    Options
    IMO if any washer and dryer lasts 17-20 years of daily use, you got your money's worth.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,877
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Our 20 yr. old Maytag dryer finally died about a year ago. I bought a Samsung to replace it. It's not nearly the dryer the Maytag was. Lots of settings but it doesn't dry as well as the Maytag if you put more than half a load in it.

Only thing I like better, is the wrinkle release, or whatever they call it, where it will keep tumbling the clothes for an hour or so after they are dry.

The possible reason your washer is not getting enough water out during spin cycles. That's what we were told many years ago. We had whirlpool duet at our old house worked well. New house we have Samsung, the clothes come out almost dry from the washer.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited June 2017
    Options
    LG front loaders. Work great very efficient, washer has high speed spin cycle that remove more water from clothes . a full load of towels dry in 32 minutes making them very water and energy efficient with electric dryer.

Speed wash and dry cycles can do clothes in 40 minutes.

Uses way less water and detergent.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |