new system - vocals a bit subdued............. (ideas)

Options
2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Is anyone reading WHAT the OP is saying?

He said several posts up:

"Did a sound test today. Same amp, same cables, same speakers..... The Rega C.D. player has more top end, and more information than the PrimaLuna C.D. player."

He is saying one CD player sounds Different than the OTHER CD player.
    One variable.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited June 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

"Did a sound test today. Same amp, same cables, same speakers..... The Rega C.D. player has more top end, and more information than the PrimaLuna C.D. player."

One variable.

Jeez K_M,
    We read that. Several of us "actually had experiences" with Paradigms which typically are not a laid back speaker, and that's what we are trying to figure out.

Do you have "experience" with Paradigms? If so please give your input instead of policing comments.
    Post edited by txcoastal1 on
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jolson72
    jolson72 Posts: 46
    Options
    So I am the original poster. Like I said, I switched C.D. players, and there does seem to be better highs with the Rega C.D. player. I have tried a few different cables as well. A pair of Kimber PBJ cables are more bright than a pair of Rega and Siltech cables I have.

I am settling into the sound and getting things set up better.

Might try putting the speakers a bit closer together today as well. Thanks again for all the responses.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

One variable.

Yes sir, I did read and I gathered that he changed out his ENTIRE system and two of the new pieces are tube gear. Most people realize that system compatibility is very important. He did say that after switching out CD players he did notice that one was a bit more flat in the high end as compared to the other. Tubes play a critical role in sound with many tubes being noted as "rolled off in the upper registers" which is why I, as well as a couple of others, suggested rolling tubes to see what happens. I had a similar situation recently when I purchased a ore owned tube pre. During shipping the tubes, which were original and getting older, finally ceased to perform properly. Retubing brought everything to where it should be and gave me a piece that I doubt I'll ever part with. That same piece rendered another piece...a highly regarded and sought after amp...useless in that they did not match.

We were listening. or reading in this instance, and offering our knowledge. If it doesn't suit you that's OK, but, don't get bent out of shape because we offered suggestions.
  • jolson72
    Options
    what exactly does tube rolling mean? moving the tubes down the chain, or simply replacing the tubes?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Tube rolling is a term used for replacing tubes with different brands, or compatible type, to achieve a different sound. Some are known to be more holographic, some really deep and tight on the bass, others more pronounced in the highs, or, rolled off in the upper registers, and some are known for their sweet midrsnge. You'll notice substantial differences between some brands and more subtle differences between others. NOS, or New Old Stock, often sounds different, and better, to many tube fans. NOS is a term for older tubes that are no longer made yet still available for purchase as "new" because there were so many made back in the day. Some from the 40's and 50's.

There are others her far more knowledgeable on tubes than I sm. The fun is trying them and hearing how they sound in your system until the day you put a set in and go "WOW"!
  • jolson72
    Options
    Interesting. Tubes are somewhat expensive, though, I'd imagine..... I'd think it'd be expensive to start buying swapping / etc.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    If you are using the "Classic" Version of the PrimaLuna these tubes shouldn't be too hard to replace or very expensive (depending on the tube)

2 - 12AX7
    2 - 12AU7
    2 - 5AR4
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited July 2017
    Options
    find out which two tubes make the biggest difference in sound when changed, the 12ax7's or 12au7's, less expensive that way. also a power tube change will effect the sound.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156