FS: Monitor 7v2 w/ RD0198 in Oak Cabinets in SF Bay

Hi all - cross posting these here and on Audiokarma. I have about $250 into them, so I'd love to just break even. I'm also including alternative PRs with larger weights which you can swap in to suit your preferences. These were a labor of love with great results, which I first enjoyed for 100 logged break-in hours and around 75-100 after that.

These started as Monitor 7v2s that I upgraded with RD0198 tweeters, epoxied magents, hurricane nuts and ss hex bolts, and rebuilt crossovers using Dayton caps. They were originally in beat up vinyl-clad cabinets. But one day, someone locally claimed to have Monitor 7s with real oak cabinets. Seemed dubious, but I checked it out anyway. He wasn't lying! His story was, "it was the 80's and I had too much money ... so I asked Polk to build my cabinets with real oak instead of vinyl." I'm not sure that's totally true, since I've heard whispers of 7Cs being available in real oak veneer, so it's not like they did it just for him. But nonetheless, they were 7Cs, with the SL2000 tweeter, in these real oak veneer cabinets. I got home, swapped the upgraded M7v2 components into these oak-veneer cabinets, and here we are.

They aren't perfect, but they look good. I've gone over them with Howard's Restore-a-finish in Oak with 0000 steel wool followed by Feed-n-wax which gives the oak more grain depth than I predicted. They had wall mount holes in the back which I've filled with silicon. The grilles have the occasional little imperfection but the fabric is good. And of course, they sound awesome, like a modified Monitor 7 with RD0198s should.

Cheers,
Ryan

TNasC6Tl.jpg

TdjKXlql.jpg

owiCuO4l.jpg

nSrkM7Zl.jpg

pehRPWdl.jpg
<3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)

Comments