Amp advice

sandworms
sandworms Posts: 1,043
Hey all, I just bought a new to me pre pro in the Marantz 7703 mdl. I am looking for an amp to go with this, something like the MM8807 or even this ,http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-K-REFERENCE-200-7-THX-ULTRA-7-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-POWER-AMPLIFIER/263006535752?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649#viTabs_0 , or any other suggestions you might have ie.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTEL-FIVE-CHANNEL-POWER-AMPLIFIER-RMB-1095/192224122291?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 and it's 2 ch brethren
Samsung pn64f8500
Sonus faber venere 2.5
Sf venere center
Oppo 105d
Squeezebox touch
Parasound hca1500a
Apc power filter
Audioquest cables asst
Polk rtia3 SB
Polk fxia6 sl,sr
Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Hands down the B&K.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Hands down the B&K.

I would agree, but it is over priced by $200-$400

The Rotel is priced more inline of value

@sandworms

Use HiFi Shark to see values, they also have a tab for sold items
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The two Marantz pieces will mate very well.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Then you'll have a bunch of little marantz's running around.... oh the calamity if it all.
  • txcoastal1
    Marantz MM 8077...I'd hit the make an offer...... and see where the cards fall
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/302356358922?rmvSB=true

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Marantz+MM+8077

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• sandworms
    Very nice, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, your advice is invaluable! I am having a hard time deciding cause of the endless options. I would really like the B&k for the brute power and build, but it did seem overpriced for it's age and lack of support. The Rotels would work but I would need 2 amps to cover the 7 channels I have ( Not familiar with their 7 channel offerings ) and that bumps the cost up. The Marantz seems like a decent budget choice..... ahh first world problems
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• txcoastal1
    Couple questions sandworms, will you be using a sub in the system? Are you going to use a pre-pro or an AVR?

• sandworms
    Hey tx, I have been using an Onkyo 1010, the onkyo is out and the Marantz 7703 is in. Subs in signature. How doe's everyone feel about this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14566#reviewInfo
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    That's perfect, Monoprice makes the very best of everything.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    ... Monoprice makes the very best of everything.
    DuB,is that you? :*

• txcoastal1
    sandworms wrote: »
    Hey tx, I have been using an Onkyo 1010, the onkyo is out and the Marantz 7703 is in. Subs in signature. How doe's everyone feel about this https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14566#reviewInfo

I would worry about any service need with the monoprice, you really only need a good 2channel to get the weight off the AVR, with the sub you'll also be golden

Just my HO

• sandworms
    Uh oh, I think I made an inside joke or something, and I wasn't even trying
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

That amp is made by ATI. I'd not worry about it's reliability.
  • sandworms
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I would worry about any service need with the monoprice, you really only need a good 2channel to get the weight off the AVR, with the sub you'll also be golden

Just my HO

AVR is gone, using a pre-pro now
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Where are you located? I just posted a B&K 200.7 with the reference 50 pre/pro in the for sale section here. Let me know if you are interested.
  • sandworms
    Rochester NY
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Only 5 hours and 54 minute drive to me in Elkton, MD. Easy road trip...i drove close to that for my 1.2tls ;)
  • sandworms
    I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any other suggestions, guess I'll go the Marantz route
    Samsung pn64f8500
    Sonus faber venere 2.5
    Sf venere center
    Oppo 105d
    Squeezebox touch
    Parasound hca1500a
    Apc power filter
    Audioquest cables asst
    Polk rtia3 SB
    Polk fxia6 sl,sr
    Dual hsu vtf3 mk3

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any other suggestions, guess I'll go the Marantz route

The truth is the multichannel amplifier market has dried up some at the 'entry-level'. Many companies used to play in that market but I guess there wasn't enough demand to keep it alive. Perhaps it was the dozen or so channels they offer now that just made it impossible to keep up and keep it cheap.

I think most these days tend to go with a receiver with a 2-3 channel amplifier and call it a day.

Yeah I have to agree with Skip. I'm starting to look into a 2 channel. was thinking of going with Marantz little 2 channel amp.

I have two Marantz SR5010 and like them both.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited June 2017
    I would not recommend monoprice for much else than cheap cables that don't require big performance; but having first hand experience with ATI I would expect that Monolith amp to be a great performer for the money. It's very similar to the Outlaw amps which are also made by ATI and are also recognized as a great value.

I am currently using an ATI AT1202 to power my lsim705s paired with an old maran preamp/processor it's pretty darn good.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    I am using an Emotiva XPA5, now 8 years old. Solid as a rock runs cool, Huge amounts of power. FYI
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2017
    I recently purchased an Anthem 225 integrated. This is quite the kit. It will drive anything and sound great doing it. An excellent value if purchased used.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited July 2017
    This and call it a day. If I was in the market I would be all over this.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649361441-ati/

Don't forget that's CDN $$ so like wayyy less in USD$$
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2017
    as a FYI, since you commented on B&K support, despite the fact its not produced anymore, the B&K can still be fixed.... there might be a certain someone on this forum with a PDF copy of the manufacture service schematic of the 2007./200.5 amp floating around....

I've had my B&K 200.5 fixed when it blew a channel. I dont think any of the parts are unobtanium so there is that........ total rebuilt cost for my scenario was 150 bucks....

I'm still a huge fan of it, but beware it runs a bit warm. Not HOT just warm.... cat may try to sit on top which is a no-no lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)