Long Speaker Cable Run

Options
New setup for my main system dictates that I have 25' speaker cable runs.

I thought I remember that with longer runs the gauge needs to be lower? Is that accurate?

I was thinking about some of the Belden 5T00UP 10 gauge from Blue Jeans Cable. Also open to other suggestions, but the budget is around $200 which I know is tough for 50 feet of cable.

Thanks,
Paul
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Correct Paul. Seems to be industry standard that longer runs should be lower gauge. I'd think with that length, anything lower than 14 AWG should be fine. That said, I always go overkill and usually run 12AWG or lower no matter what the length. You should be able to get some fine cable for $3-$4/LF, and apply the rest of the budget to some nice terminations. You 'building' them yourself?

Look into this:

http://www.douglasconnection.com/Furez-10-AWG-2-Conductor-Speaker-Cable-Raw-FZ102.htm

I'd imagine Doug might even be able to set you up with some very decent cables already made close to or within your budget...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    I like overkill, on my 20' runs I used 10ga. also. Belden is good stuff. I'd also check out Doug just to see. can't hurt
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Perfect, thanks guys.

That link looks perfect @scubalab
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    I've used that Furez 10ga before. I like it.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Doug just made some 25' Furez SC's for me for some surrounds on my second system. With your budget you're also going to be looking at Furez terminations if you're going new. With that length it seems unlikely Doug would have demo or used pairs. If its for your main system you're welcome to try my 25' pair and see what you think. PM me if you want, I may be going by your area on Sunday. -Don
  • dannylightning
    Options
    yes i would try to get 10 gauge for over 20 foot. thicker wire can carry the signal farther easier
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    tku8rk5kplsx.jpg

This should do the trick....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Is that some #1 D-bag :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Is that some #1 D-bag :p

2/0, dingleberry.....
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    yes i would try to get 10 gauge for over 20 foot. thicker wire can carry the signal farther easier

https://www.cirris.com/learning-center/calculators/133-wire-resistance-calculator-table

Even 14 Gauge has very low resistance.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Hey Paul

50 ft of Furez 10 awg cable from Doug's DIY is like $72 and throw in some banana plugs or spades for a little more if you do the DIY cables.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I've used the Belden 5T00UP 10 gauge from Blue Jeans Cable and have no problem recommending it, but I have no idea if it's any better than the Furez. I can tell you that the Blue Jeans stuff is a *itch if you plan to use nanners. That may be the case will all 10 ga. cable though.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND DOUG @helipilotdoug . First, he's a Forum member and small business owner. Second, his pricing is very competitive and even better the FUREZ cable is a BREEZE TO WORK WITH. I purchased 90 feet to have 2 45 foot runs give or take down a wall, across the wall and opening and then to my amp for my LSi F/x's. I also have 35 feet of his 14 gauge 2 conductor for one sub, and another 15 feet of the same 14 gauge 2 conductor for my other sub.

I used 12 gauge 2 conductor wire, but if I would have been able to, I'd have used 10 gauge. I just wasn't sure how well the 10 gauge would have fit under my carpet even with the outer jacket stripped.

I did terminate myself and I'm quite sure your cable of doing so, just make sure to get decent terminations of whatever type you need at each end (spade, banana, etc).

Go as big as you can so you dont wonder what if later on. Plus again, dougs prices are hard to beat, and he can give you the exact lengths you want rather than just 10 foot increments..

Just make sure to add about 10 extra feet to whatever number you come up with to make sure it works :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    One of the biggest and simplest upgrades you'll ever make is to shorten speaker cables!!

Never believe those "guides" that rely on DC resistance and forget to explain the high current connection between amp and speakers and the advantages that intimate coupling can bring.

It's not a small difference at all to loose long speaker cable runs if quality is you're goal. Move the amp(s) closer...

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • hochpt21
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Hey Paul

50 ft of Furez 10 awg cable from Doug's DIY is like $72 and throw in some banana plugs or spades for a little more if you do the DIY cables.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.
  • K_M
    Options
    25 foot of wire @14 gauge is .063 ohms

25 foot of wire @10 gauge is .025 ohms

a few hundredths of an ohm difference.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    There's a lot more to cable than the gauge.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    Options
    "a few hundredths of an ohm difference." ....at DC!

What's that sound like? Nice beat?

What if I don't have a DC coupled amp?

It only holds the cone out another quarter inch when I upgraded a guage....

I love the smooth detail of DC at the end of a long hard week...

Hope that cap on the tweeter is still good!

B)

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • hochpt21
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    One of the biggest and simplest upgrades you'll ever make is to shorten speaker cables!!

Never believe those "guides" that rely on DC resistance and forget to explain the high current connection between amp and speakers and the advantages that intimate coupling can bring.

It's not a small difference at all to loose long speaker cable runs if quality is you're goal. Move the amp(s) closer...

CJ

I did some measuring today and I can probably get closer to 20'. That is my goal to keep it as close as possible.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    When considering the DC resistance of a length of speaker wire, you need to consider that you have the supply side run (+) and the return (-). Therefore, if your speaker is 25' from the amp, you have 50' of wire the signal travels through. At these lengths, the speaker wire resistance plays a more significant role in the system damping factor.

I have similar runs of speaker wire (14 awg) and want to go with thicker or make up some longer interconnects so that I can move the amp closer to the speakers.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    well, if one does the math, the delta in DC resistance between two wire gauges of fixed length will have an effect on the "damping factor". Given that damping factor is no more, and no less, than the ratio of the load impedance to the output impedance of the amplifier. Load impedance is the impedance of the loudspeaker plus the cable that connects it to the amplifier.

The question is -- does that measurable (calculable) effect on DF have any audible consequence?

Only one way to find out! :)

As they say in my line of work, "It's a testable hypothesis".
    ... and we like testable hypotheses.
  • K_M
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Using the OP's final distance, of 20' and figuring 2 conductors total of 40' each run.

40' of 14 gauge= .101 ohms
    40' of 10 gauge= .04 ohms

Additional information.
    http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/speaker-cable-length-differences-do-they-matter
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »

CJ

I did some measuring today and I can probably get closer to 20'. That is my goal to keep it as close as possible.

From experience... Give yourself a little slack. It's much easier to shorten a cable than it is to lengthen one!

25' vs 20' will not make any difference in performance.
  • hochpt21
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    hochpt21 wrote: »

CJ

From experience... Give yourself a little slack. It's much easier to shorten a cable than it is to lengthen one!

25' vs 20' will not make any difference in performance.

Yea, I think the plan is to get 50' which should give me plenty of slack.

Trust me...I've come up short more than a few times :)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Messaged Doug and he set me up with a nice value/budget package. Out in the mail today.

50 ft of the 10 gauge furez cable
    4 pairs of the Furez SP8 SB40NP spade connectors
    Heat shrink

I don't need any sleeving as the cables will be hidden.

Looking forward to getting these and putting them together.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    LOVE @helipilotdoug and his stuff! Can't be beat for DIY Value to performance.

Someday maybe I will step up into his powercables but I love his speaker wire and interconnects...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • hochpt21
    Options
    Thank you @helipilotdoug !!

5pfw2pf741da.jpg