I had a weird experience last night

dromunds
dromunds Posts: 9,969
So there I am watching the re-run of this week's new Twin Peaks episode last night on my second system/ HT. Suddenly, out of the blue I'm hearing a weird noise coming from the left LSiM-703, like a scratchy distortion. I'm thinking, "These are pretty new, this can't be happening!" So I figure I'll switch out a LSi-7 in the left side and whattya know the scratchy distortion is still there. So then I'm thinking something must've happened to my Pioneer Elite SC-05. Not feeling good, wondering to myself if its worth fixing at its age, but its been good to me, a real nice AVR, but heck its been around the proverbial block, yada yada yada. Then for no good reason I decide to check another Showtime channel and the scratchy distortion is gone! I go back and forth to other channels, and the scratchy distortion is only on the specific channel I was watching Twin Peaks on. I've never seen this, but it must've been in the digital signal being fed on that program. This morning I watched the local news and everything fine also. Weird. Anybody ever heard of this?

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    demons.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    You must be watching Twin Peaks also. Lol.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    actually I've never seen it, not even the original, but might this summer!

As for the issue, that is strange and I have never experienced any thing like that that I can remember...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I've had similar happen before, or weird audio stuff using the Roku. Not often, but sometimes after a lot of input switching.

The one that I can't figure out is that The Weather Channel seems to broadcast with a boosted LFE stream or something. It's the only channel I notice where I seem to get male vocals through my sub, like the crossover is set too high? I can't quite figure out how this is happening.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2017
    @dromunds & @msg , are ether of you using Comcast/Xfinity TV or Internet, With me the X1 cable box will lose the video or lock up Netflix for no reason, So I reset the box or if I have to I get someone to unplug the box for 5 mins, Then all is good for another week & half (Maybe). CS has know idea they say everything is fine on there end and they would be happy to send a tech out for $50. No thanks I'll just wait for the box to go up in smoke or die!.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    I have COX. I used to have a similar problem with HBOGO when I had it a couple of years ago on weekend evenings. Not sure whether it was on the internet service side or not, but seemed to be specific just to HBOGO; it would lock up like it was buffering, but just never come back. The Roku was still responsive, just not the channel, so I think it was just people hitting HBOGO.

What you're describing isn't necessarily uncommon, but it should not be happening regularly. A hiccup here and there is to be expected. I have to reset all my stuff periodically, but not like clockwork and usually only once every 2 to 3 months, if even.

What speed is your service?
    And you stream Netflix through the X1 box? This is your "converter" box, I presume?
    Is it connected by wifi or directly to the cable service coax?

They always say it's fine on their end. A lot of the time they're only monitoring with software. I've had issues at work where it looks fine until they get a tech out and he puts a meter on the line and says something like, I don't know how you even had the degraded service you're getting; this shouldn't be working at all. Sucks on the consumer side. So tired of marketing fluff and lies with poor delivery. BAH!

Tony, you do know that Netflix and Xfinity are owned by Apple, right?
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @dromunds - I get scratchy/distorted sound from time to time whenever I'm streaming and it doesn't matter which room I'm in or what channel I'm watching. I stream with two different models of Roku in each room but the problem persists sporadically and it scares the heck out of me when it happens (can't find the mute key fast enough).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    edited June 2017
    msg wrote: »
    What you're describing isn't necessarily uncommon, but it should not be happening regularly. A hiccup here and there is to be expected. I have to reset all my stuff periodically, but not like clockwork and usually only once every 2 to 3 months, if even.

I have to reset mine at least once if not more every 2 weeks, I know I should just pony up the $50 and get a tech out, but I'm a cheap SOB also waiting to finish my apartment so they can add another line & box at the same time.
    What speed is your service?

Download Speed: 200Mbps (I should upgrade my modem it's rated 172mbs SURFboard SB6121)
    Upload Speed: 10Mbps
    And you stream Netflix through the X1 box? This is your "converter" box, I presume?
    Is it connected by wifi or directly to the cable service coax?

Yes streaming Netflix through the Xfinity X1 converter Box, connected to coax. Funny thing when the box messes up using Netflix I can switch over to my HTPC and use Firefox to watch Netflix no problem.
    Tony, you do know that Netflix and Xfinity are owned by Apple, right?

You had me going there for a moment you evil bastage you :tongue: , I knew Comcast/Xfinity bought Netflix but the A >:)>:) le thing I had to check it out, yes I looked it up. Good one :D
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • dromunds
    Gimpod: I was watching DirectTV when the weird noises happened. I watched a re-run of the same Twin Peaks episode a couple days ago and there was none of the noise. I'm guessing it was a weird digital glitch from the source feed. Haven't had a problem since. I do have Netflix but I've never had a problem like this with them. I hope it does not recur on DirectTV.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited June 2017
    I've had it happen on dish also. It sucks but traveling 23,000 miles if i get that once in a blue moon I'm good with it. I have been able to get it to go away by switching to stereo from 7.1 so next time give that a try.
  • dromunds
    Thanks. Yeah, I'll give that a try if it ever happens again. I was more concerned that something was going on with the LSiM 703's or my SC-05, but a once-in-a-blue-moon digital glitch I'm good with also. Plus, it was a David Lynch Twin Peaks episode so it gave it an extra diggity element so to speak. Lol.
  • dromunds
    Ha ha, its happening again at this moment on the same Showtime channel on DirectTV as last time. Very strange. Its not on other Showtime channels. And Twin Peaks isnt coming on for about five more minutes so I can't blame David Lynch. Lol.