Diana Krall fans! New album

K_MK_M Posts: 786
edited June 16 in Music & Movies
"Night and Day"

Truly Luvvvv this one, her voice is so smooth, and the audio quality is first rate.

A great return to form, after the blah to me, "Wallflower" album.

Comments

• K_MK_M Posts: 786
    edited June 16
    "Moonglow"

• After listening to Bob Seger for a couple of hours and hearing him sing, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then," I checked and this album is up a Spotify. Very enjoyable. It is hard to choose a favorite album by her, Live in Paris might be it for me.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,952
    I have all the Diana Krall albums, and the last one is absolutely terrible. She just sleep walks through the songs. It is as if she was forced to release a new album. Just my opinion, of course.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have all the Diana Krall albums, and the last one is absolutely terrible. She just sleep walks through the songs. It is as if she was forced to release a new album. Just my opinion, of course.

you are talking about this one that recently came out, or "Wallflower" from a few years ago?
    After listening to Bob Seger for a couple of hours and hearing him sing, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then," I checked and this album is up a Spotify. Very enjoyable. It is hard to choose a favorite album by her, Live in Paris might be it for me.

I have all of them, but not sure which I prefer truly,.

I kinda dislike Wallflower and Glad rag doll (the ragtime sorta one)
    K_M wrote: »
    After listening to Bob Seger for a couple of hours and hearing him sing, "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then," I checked and this album is up a Spotify. Very enjoyable. It is hard to choose a favorite album by her, Live in Paris might be it for me.

I have all of them, but not sure which I prefer truly,.

I kinda dislike Wallflower and Glad rag doll (the ragtime sorta one)

"Girl in the other room" and

"Love scenes" may be my 2 favourites.
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,397
    Just finished listening to the new one on Tidal. Meh, boring.
    K_M wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

you are talking about this one that recently came out, or "Wallflower" from a few years ago?

This one, which is her last album. I like all the others.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,891
    strictly fwiw, my opinion of her is that she's a pretty good pianist, but a mannered and uninteresting vocalist. I do have one of her albums; the one with East of the Sun (West of the Moon) on it.

The audio quality of her albums (at least her early ones; I haven't heard any of her more recent releases) -- and a certain hormonal component -- makes her an audiophile fave, methinks.

Needless to say, I am not a big fan.

• Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,546
    edited June 16
    I am a big fan of Diana and her music, though not so much of her last few albums.

I much prefer her earlier albums, Stepping Out and Love Scenes are my favs.

Her live stuff, may be her best.
    Yes I love her voice overall, but she does tend to be a bit too laid back at times.
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Just finished listening to the new one on Tidal. Meh, boring.

I would agree on my first listen, then tried it again, when in a different mood alone in the morning and came away a lot more impressed.

Maybe I will give it another spin at some point.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,270
    Krall is from not too far from where I love, that said...never been a fan of her to be honest. As with Rush, another overplayed Canadian.
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,469
    oi0zvs11uihu.jpg

The Look Of Love that's what I get when I listen to this. Elvis Costello is one lucky man :p Yowza, not her best but a keeper
  • rednedtugentrednedtugent Posts: 9,872
    Yes, I've been eyeballin' her

new LP :)
    My husband is not into her music much, but when I play her live Video stuff, he will watch...LMAO
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,553
    Thats because she is beautiful.
    Anyway I got the new Album and I'm checking it out now. I never have been disappointed by any of her work, this album seems to be no different.
    So what does your husband usually listen to? I'm a Heavy Metal guy but I love Diana.
  • Dianna Krall seems to do many "standard" songs. This was the domain of Frank Sinatra. He would vary the tempos in the 50s by having a fast and then a slower tempo album. Then he did all those great swing albums. Having a strategy like this might help Dianna. Frank also did music with a sextet and with large orchestras and had the top band leaders/arrangers leading those orchestras. Dianna's approach could use some more variety a la Frank.
    Dianna Krall seems to do many "standard" songs. This was the domain of Frank Sinatra. He would vary the tempos in the 50s by having a fast and then a slower tempo album. Then he did all those great swing albums. Having a strategy like this might help Dianna. Frank also did music with a sextet and with large orchestras and had the top band leaders/arrangers leading those orchestras. Dianna's approach could use some more variety a la Frank.

She has more variety from album to album.
    Each album tends to be a certain sound, and different back up, such as orchestra, jazz band, or just very sparse.

From an older album.
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,664
    Wallflower was the first one of hers that I didn't like at all. The newest one is better, but I agree that it's a little meh. Although, the backing band is great.

I like her earlier ones as well and even like Glad Rag Doll.
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Wallflower was the first one of hers that I didn't like at all. The newest one is better, but I agree that it's a little meh. Although, the backing band is great.

I like her earlier ones as well and even like Glad Rag Doll.

Wallflower is very "loud and compressed", I think the only time her music was recorded that way. Sonically, it is out of step with most of her other stuff, let alone being more "Current" popular songs, instead of her typical long ago type sound and standards
  • mantismantis Posts: 14,553
    I've listened to the entire thing now and think it's fantastic. Smooth soft and so nice to sit with a nice glass of Wine.
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,249
    I have all Diana Krall's albums. I enjoy them all, and I see some variety in them. "Live in Paris" is one to which I often return, but "Wallflower" and "Glad Rag Doll" are also ones I like.

Her early albums are less pleasing to me. I like to think it is the music, but I think it is more likely that the quality of the recordings has improved dramatically over the years.

I understand the comments about her -- what I shall call, "monotony" -- that is, not only a similarity in her voice, etc., but a similarity from album to album that arises when an artist who depends on repackaging material from other singers, composers, and musicians.

My wife, who also enjoys her albums, frequently comments that her albums consist largely "old wine in new bottles."

With all that said I put the question, "Why doesn't she, Elvis Costello, or she and Elvis Costello together take a stab at original compositions of both lyrics and music for a new album?"

Might be interesting, and it might lead to a more lasting legacy for her.
    I have all Diana Krall's albums. I enjoy them all, and I see some variety in them. "Live in Paris" is one to which I often return, but "Wallflower" and "Glad Rag Doll" are also ones I like.

Her early albums are less pleasing to me. I like to think it is the music, but I think it is more likely that the quality of the recordings has improved dramatically over the years.

I understand the comments about her -- what I shall call, "monotony" -- that is, not only a similarity in her voice, etc., but a similarity from album to album that arises when an artist who depends on repackaging material from other singers, composers, and musicians.

My wife, who also enjoys her albums, frequently comments that her albums consist largely "old wine in new bottles."

With all that said I put the question, "Why doesn't she, Elvis Costello, or she and Elvis Costello together take a stab at original compositions of both lyrics and music for a new album?"

Might be interesting, and it might lead to a more lasting legacy for her.

She does have some original compositions, one hers 6 with her husband.

The album "Girl in the other room"(2004) has quite a few actually, Seven to be exact.
    And being a big fan of her for several years, I do agree, she does not branch out too much, but at least she is good overall.