Im getting irrate

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    Like the guys said, if Kim Jasper is on the case, rest assured your problems will be addressed. Kinda like shining the bat signal over Gotham city.

However it should not have escaladed to this point.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,340
    edited June 18
    All I can say without getting banned is "WOW", what was once a great company is now circling the drain. It's sad, very sad to see. It's also sad to see that managements priorities are so out of line. Can't remember ever saying a bad thing about Polk Audio or it's customer service in the past.

Heck, my buddy not too long ago built an entire HT around the brand mostly because of my passion for the brand. He had some shipping issues with a 3rd party vendor and damage and I kept assuring him if the 3rd party vendor didn't make it right, call Polk and they will do whatever to make it right. It took quite awhile, but it was made right. I always blamed the 3rd party vendor, whose rep for CS is stellar as well (but has also slipped lately). Now I'm wondering if it wasn't Polk (United) just being themselves.

I will NOT be recommending Polk products until they get their act together. So I guess "cleansing" the forum is the first step in fixing the issues at HQ...........that's said with sarcasm........lot's of sarcasm.

H9

P.s. I will not bash the brand either, but just not recommending until some things change. Who wants their friends, relatives and co-workers mad at them if something has an issue and they treated like the OP? Not I.

P.s.s. The ripple effect of stories like this are far more damaging to the brand than an avatar or a little passionate bickering about audio on the forum. This is isn't the first story like this.................
  • All a couple of bad incidents prove is that there were a couple of bad incidents. It is unfortunate when you buy the one new car on the lot that is a lemon. That does not prove all the cars are lemons. All it proves is that you were unlucky. You're free to trash GM if you like but if all their vehicles were lemons they would be out of business.

My cousin got a polio vaccine shot and contracted polio from the vaccine. Then he spent the next 3 years of his life in an iron lung. But I will not extrapolate that one bad experience and say polio vaccine is bad. It was bad for my cousin! But billions of people have been protected from polio because of that vaccine and millions of lives have been saved.

Polk's response in this thread demonstrates that they care and that things happen. Things still can go wrong even when they try to make them right. Welcome to the human race. People make mistakes. And so do companies.

edited June 18
    More than a couple of bad incidents and responding vs. actually doing are not the same. Kim Jasper is on it (finally) and it will get taken care of. It never should have even been an issue after the OP's first CS inquiry. It was not a "mistake" it was carelessness and wanton disregard. Anyone who thought that packing was sufficient needs to have their job reviewed. No one could possibly think that was going to arrive undamaged.

You really shouldn't post about things you don't have a firm grasp about. It's fine to try and play the devils advocate, but in this case you haven't gathered and analyzed all the information. You are certainly welcome to your own opinion.

H9
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,889
    edited June 18
    Not to belittle (nor to downplay) the OP's inbroglio, but right now we're dealing -- as best I can tell -- with an "n = 1" situation.

My suspicion is that it's symptomatic of larger issues with customer service and support, but I don't know that as a fact, so I am loath to extrapolate.

It also strikes me as possible that, even though it's been a while, the integration of Polk's "systems" into their (relatively) new business structure may be -- if not the root cause of this particular, and unfortunate, case -- part of the problem.

I think (as many other posts have already opined) that, if the company "learns a lesson" from this case, and improves its service as a consequence, that'll be for the best. If they don't, then, yes, I'd agree that it becomes ever harder to recommend them as a source of audio components.

A little too early to jump to that conclusion, though, methinks.

Hmm, do I sound like a latter-day Neville Chamberlain? ;)
    edited June 18
    My not recommending Polk (at least not explicitly) also stems from the fact that many of the newer products are experiencing a fair number of issues. Perhaps it is a hasty conclusion. I'll rephrase and say I will be cautious to recommend Polk products.

I have been a Volkswagen fan my entire life and god knows the reputation they have portrayed. Overall I've not had the crippling issues other people (on the internet) have had. But I recognize their somewhat flawed business model and I am selective in recommending them. Myself, I love them and I really think most negativity is unwarranted.

The newer products are exceptional and they have turned the corner IMO. One thing I have always experienced with VW when having an issue is above the dealership level, and in some cases above the regional level, VW has great customer service. They listen, they are empathetic and in most cases are willing to share all or most of the burden. But, you have to be respectful and you have to outline your case with facts and rational expectations.

I use them as an informed point of reference and have no plan to turn this into a VW bash fest, etc. So, please don't start with off topic VW issues, etc. That wasn't the point of my example.

Polk could be more like them in CS at the corporate level is all I'm saying.

H9
  • DonnerUndBlitzenDonnerUndBlitzen Posts: 839
    edited June 18
    heiney9 wrote: »
    More than a couple of bad incidents and responding vs. actually doing are not the same. Kim Jasper is on it (finally) and it will get taken care of. It never should have even been an issue after the OP's first CS inquiry. It was not a "mistake" it was carelessness and wanton disregard. Anyone who thought that packing was sufficient needs to have their job reviewed. No one could possibly think that was going to arrive undamaged.

You really shouldn't post about things you don't have a firm grasp about. It's fine to try and play the devils advocate, but in this case you haven't gathered and analyzed all the information. You are certainly welcome to your own opinion.

H9

Great points - I'm glad your knowledgeable about everything Polk and you have access to all of Polk's customer survey data statistics and know the percentages, such as how often the customer is happy with the purchase, how often there is a problem, and the percentage for how often that problem is fixed the first time and how often additional followup is needed. If you don't know these numbers you "really shouldn't post about things you don't have a firm grasp about," and, "haven't gathered and analyzed all the information. You are certainly welcome to your own opinion."

I was not defending you, I was defending Polk. That does not make me the "devil's advocate!" It makes me truly sad that you think Polk is the Devil. o:)

Since Polk is a mass market consumer products company, I would not be surprised at all that there are "more than a couple of bad incidents." That comment tells me absolutely nothing about the overall customer satisfaction percentages or how seldom the ball gets dropped and the dropped ball incidents resolved on the first attempt. But again, you are most welcome to your opinion. B)
  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 5,469
    edited June 18
    What does dehumidifiers, overcooked pot roast, children being belittled by thier parents, Scratching an itch, polio vaccinations, Iron lungs, and lemon Automobiles have to do with this thread?

The OP experienced a shipping mishap and a little miss communication with the CS department it will be taking care of and yes it was a little unsettling for him but it appears it will be taken care of.

No reason for a poster to spew nonsense about things not related to this thread, and spare me your intellectual comments about the nonsense you spew on this thread and others.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3,684
    treitz3 wrote: »
    DUB, with all due respect, quit being a smart Alec know-it-all. Step back from the keyboard and actually read/comprehend what the long term members are saying here. You haven't been here long enough to really know what's going on and you are sticking your neck out to something you honestly have no clue about.

Respectfully said.

Your posts are perceived as being of zero help with the situation and serve nothing more than to poke a stick in the hornet's nest. An average person would consider this not a smart thing to do. FWIW.

Tom

Well said, kind of like a kid in school standing behind the teacher barking out at the other kids while holding on to the teacher.
  • msgmsg Posts: 2,844
    Embarrassing.

Accountability. The general lackthereof, running rampant and coupled with entitlement in today's distracted, overly plugged in, self-righteous, misguided workforce... Maddening, and a perfect recipe for decline.

Now get off my lawn before I hurl another hammer.
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »

My suspicion is that it's symptomatic of larger issues with customer service and support, but I don't know that as a fact, so I am loath to extrapolate.

It also strikes me as possible that, even though it's been a while, the integration of Polk's "systems" into their (relatively) new business structure may be -- if not the root cause of this particular, and unfortunate, case -- part of the problem.

I think (as many other posts have already opined) that, if the company "learns a lesson" from this case, and improves its service as a consequence, that'll be for the best. If they don't, then, yes, I'd agree that it becomes ever harder to recommend them as a source of audio components.

A little too early to jump to that conclusion, though, methinks.

I had problems with my new cell phone a couple of years ago and went thru 2 months of problems with the 3 refurbished replacements they sent me. Finally they sent a new a new phone. The situation was irritating. But I did not extrapolate my experiences and apply them to everyone else. I have been a customer since 2002 and I still am their customer. Except for that incident, it has been smooth sailing. My customer service experience was hit and miss and I had to escalate to get resolution. But everyone I spoke with tried to resolve things and treated me with respect and were courteous.

I am loath to jump to the wrong conclusion about Polk and extrapolate a few horror stories into what is the typical customer experience. I don't have access to their customer satisfaction metrics and am thus not able to pass judgment on the entire company. So, I have empathy for the situation that gave rise to this thread and I'm doing so without assuming the worst about Polk. I hope next week will bring prompt resolution.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,306
    Air ball
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,889
    I need a nap.
  • gimpodgimpod Posts: 1,651
    Don't you guys think it would be better to wait and see if Polk corrects this mistake with the customer before forming the lynch mob?

You aren't even giving them a chance to make it right. Both Kens said they are on this for the OP.

I'm sorry but CS has had more than ample time to make this right, The OP stated he had been waiting over two week for his order and when he called CS he gets the run around and then this happens, With the Poll Audio CS I experienced it never would have gotten this far. They have in the past always e-mailed a confirmation of the order and a notice of shipment.

This is just plain unacceptable from any company and would make me think twice about doing business with them again!
    F1nut wrote: »
    And they're worried about avatars......too funny.....no, make that sad.

This may help explain some of what's going on here, As of May 1st 2017 Sound United is now the biggest suppler of Loudspeakers and A/V products in the U.S. if not the world.

From there own web site Sound United Announces Acquisition of D+M Group, That's Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, Polk BOOM, Denon, HEOS by Denon, Marantz, and Boston Acoustics. No wonder there having CS problems.

I could be off base here but this is Just My Opinion.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 1,586
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but for some time it has become evident that there are real issues with regards to Polks customer service. Problems with shipping, defective products, nobody picking up the phones. The list goes on an on.

Yes, all companies suffer from these types of incidents but these remind me of the snowball rolling down hill. The regularity of these complaints are becoming common here on the forum and regrettably it'll probably get worse before things get better.

On a positive note the Great Avatar debacle of 2017 is almost resolved.
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 1,931
    Sorry, but I've probably recommended my last Polk product.

A buddy of mine picked up a soundbar from Polk Direct, it came in and it was a very disappointing piece of equipment. He wanted to send it back, but it was going to cost him over $130 to return it and Polk gave him such a too bad so sad attitude about the whole thing. It was basically, "you bought it, now it's YOUR problem".

He was going to replace it with some Signature series speakers. By the time Polk "Customer Service" was done with it, he decided to never invest in another Polk speaker. He is now a happy Focal owner. BTW, Focal has probably THE BEST customer service team I've ever dealt with, Oppo might be the only company I can think of that rivals them.

I think I'll also skip the Signature series for my work room system that I'm putting together.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 3,889
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I think I'll also skip the Signature series for my work room system that I'm putting together.
    Passive speakers are still what they do best. The Signatures are worth it. But if it's a principle thing, I get it.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 15,877
    Can't wait until the new Ken gets a load of this thread...
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 1,586
    edited June 18
    I hope the new Ken has a better game plan than say our fellow Polk apologist DUB.
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,587
    Werent we warned about perseverating over others views and being....
  • DonnerUndBlitzenDonnerUndBlitzen Posts: 839
    edited June 18
    <3 !
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 1,931
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Passive speakers are still what they do best. The Signatures are worth it. But if it's a principle thing, I get it.

It's a matter of principle. I seriously have an issue buying products from a company that I don't trust to stand behind them.

Or just be difficult to deal with.

Sadly, Polk just joined that list.
    Someone get some of Kim Jasper's DNA.
    We can 3D print clones.
    Time out for humor
    9u8iepoce27u.gif
    I wish I could unsee that.

• HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,204
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I need a nap.
    Because you're an older gentleman! The elderly are known for their naps! :smiley: :smiley:

• leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,755
    Not to wrap those drivers correctly is the white elephant in the the room beyond blowing the entire order. Clearly the pressure was on somebody and they got it out alright but w/ not a concern at all to how it was packed or what was or not used to pack the drivers. Now my little story. I had to replace a driver in my long gone M7s. Polk sent the driver and I FORGOT the cutting of the excessive rubber around the screw holes and it did tear. Now, it's discussed here at length but understand that not everyone who buys raw drivers is a member of the Polk Forum and has no idea to trim the butyl surround by the screw holes. I did complain to Polk C/S and they sent me 2 drivers for the hassle (free) and I suggested that they send a colorful warning letter w/ raw speakers to carefully trim the rubber. Post script. When the drivers were delivered the company that did that job left them on my back balcony w/ no alert of any kind and just happened to see the box out there. Uncool all the way around.
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,023
    edited June 19
    Before I get sidetracked (as usual), I want to say that your post, Mr. T, was very insightful and bears noting.

I've mentioned it before, but dealing with customers and us must be like trying to herd cats. Not an easy job to be sure as CS has to deal with a variety of characters from various backgrounds with varying degrees of knowledge.
    For instance, in my spare time (ahem) I will get on Amazon and read the comments on various Polk offerings. There you'll read opinions of the good, the bad, and the ugly/WTH.
    For instance, on Amazon there are some 1-Star reviews for some T50 floorstanders.
    One might note that perhaps some folks knowledge of audio isn't quite what one would wish for them. Some customers felt that they were cheated because the passive radiators were "fake speakers" (by reviewer "Jon Q Public") :

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-T50-Theater-Standing/product-reviews/B013LIN5W2/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

So that's one side of customer service that Polk has to deal with over which they don't have a lot of control. What can they do, have a test before allowing a customer to make a purchase ? Of course not. But they can, and do, attempt to assuage, instruct, and educate the dissatisfied consumer in this case. That may be an almost impossible task.

But the things that Polk Customer Service DOES have control over can be improved.
    Should be improved. Must be, IMO, improved.
    Am I, or are we, trying to tell Polk HOW to run the show ? No, although it may appear to be that way. The effort is to make folks aware that there IS a problem that needs FIXING.

A friend will tell you, "psssst....you have a boo ger on the end of your nose".
    A faux friend won't.

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!