BRING @F1nut's OLD AVATAR BACK!!!

Comments

• la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 1,948
    Well this thread can be closed now. You heard the man, no amount of badgering is going to make him cave on this one.

I know some strippers that practice their talent in very good taste, but something tells me that I can't talk about that here either. Unless I can get them to demo some Polk gear.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • @steveinaz, I understand your point. But for the purposes of the Forum, it is not a democracy. If there is something that we as a company don't agree with, it can be taken down. There are rules to follow and they are being enforced.

@la2vegas, poor choice of an analogy. That is not what we are trying to instill here. Remember to be respectful.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,502
    z57o1f4m8ik7.gif
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,495
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Try hard enough, and anything has the potential to be offensive. OR, or....you could just get a life. Freedom won't work without tolerance. If people decide they just won't tolerate anything that makes them uncomfortable, then freedoms MUST be limited to appease the fragile. When we never allow our children to fail, they never learn HOW to cope with failure; so they grow up to become adults who try to ban failure, and lose alot of freedom in the process.

Best post of the thread right there.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,609
    edited June 15
    tonyb wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Try hard enough, and anything has the potential to be offensive. OR, or....you could just get a life. Freedom won't work without tolerance. If people decide they just won't tolerate anything that makes them uncomfortable, then freedoms MUST be limited to appease the fragile. When we never allow our children to fail, they never learn HOW to cope with failure; so they grow up to become adults who try to ban failure, and lose alot of freedom in the process.

Best post of the thread right there.

Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,114
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Sure it has much to commend it as a life philosophy or political principle, but as the man has said over and again, this is a BUSINESS with one goal and a clear hierarchical structure. Lots of you work for corporations whose main goal is the almighty dolla, why is it so hard to grasp here lol...

The primary motivation here is not pleasing or placating anyone, it's selling more gear. Whatever is done in the forum is instrumental. The goal is $$$

And while I completely agree with you here, that doesn't change the fact that there has indeed been placating to some. A small minority really, that have made the most noise. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have found quite a few things on this forum offensive but I have generally taken logical approach to it. You can please some of the people all of the time and you can please all of the people some of the time but you will never be able to please all of the people all of the time.

Sure, I have bit back when pushed but never without it being warranted or blatantly obvious. Unfortunately, what is obvious to some is either ignored or overlooked by others.

But this is Polk's playground and if we can't accept the rules (no matter how obviously disproportionately applied) then we should find another playground.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000
    x2jyagw8zx5p.gif
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,039
    I'm offended.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,373
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm offended.

I'm horrified!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,323
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm offended.
    Reported!
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,832
    edited June 15
    I understand Polk's desire to keep this place family friendly and all, that's just good business; I think the mods get a little carried away at times, and it just kind of blindsides everyone. Like my temp banning a few months ago over a funny picture (no nudity). The "heavy-handedness" isn't appreciated.
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • @steveinaz, to put it in perspective, there are only two of us and I just started about a month ago.

I would reference my "Respect" thread from a few weeks ago. If everyone can get along, show respect to others, not bully and follow the rules, then we won't have any issues.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 934
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

And while I completely agree with you here, that doesn't change the fact that there has indeed been placating to some. A small minority really, that have made the most noise. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

But this is Polk's playground and if we can't accept the rules (no matter how obviously disproportionately applied) then we should find another playground.

What you call a "Small minority" in fact, is actually several dozen forum members, and most of the "Silent Majority" of the forum that simply either do not post much, or quit posting regularly due to the issues I mentioned on another thread, about "Why the forum is not mentioned" and how Polk does not appreciate the silliness anymore.

2 or 3 people are not complaining about issues, it is several dozen or a large majority of the forum.

@KenCustomerService If these numbers are wrong, please chime in.

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Well said, Darryl....
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3,986
    K_M wrote: »

What you call a "Small minority" in fact, is actually several dozen forum members, and most of the "Silent Majority" of the forum that simply either do not post much, or quit posting regularly due to the issues I mentioned on another thread, about "Why the forum is not mentioned" and how Polk does not appreciate the silliness anymore.

2 or 3 people are not complaining about issues, it is several dozen or a large majority of the forum.

Several dozen......

Have a mod look and show us several dozen that post here... or better yet just visit.

Several dozen, nope. Just a few that want to rule the place.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,323
    lightman1 wrote: »
    We all get along, Ken. I have flown and driven 10s of thousands of miles to meet up with and hang out with many a member here. Gatherings, dinners...
    Heck...even Ryan @ZLTFUL and his wife put up with me for a few weeks a year.
    I've installed dedicated power circuits for Dan @EndersShadow to his HT. He and his family have welcomed "Mr. Russ" on many occasions. Many a dinner, beer and bar hopping with Steve @gudnoyez in his neck of Iowa.
    We have built lifelong friendships from this Polk brand you are bringing to the masses.
    @DSkip @voltz @marvda1 @dkfreebird @treitz3 @AsSiMiLaTeD @deronb1 @indyhawg @oldrocker @VR3 @txcoastal1......the list goes on.
    We have built an extended family around your product.
    That's why we get a little testy when things get heated.
    Carry on with your task at hand, but don't homologise it to the point where it becomes.......pointless to be here.
    I am Russ.....10+ years Polk family member.
    And keep an eye on your shrubs. ;)
    I like the message here, Russ, but I don't like a single person on this list.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 504
    Why can't we all just get back to the subject which brings us here???

Seems like in the last few weeks we have all decided to complain about items that are not in our control and not focus on helping, understanding, learning and general discussions about audio/HT products.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.....
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Sharp Aquos 70"

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

edited June 15
    msg wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    We all get along, Ken. I have flown and driven 10s of thousands of miles to meet up with and hang out with many a member here. Gatherings, dinners...
    Heck...even Ryan @ZLTFUL and his wife put up with me for a few weeks a year.
    I've installed dedicated power circuits for Dan @EndersShadow to his HT. He and his family have welcomed "Mr. Russ" on many occasions. Many a dinner, beer and bar hopping with Steve @gudnoyez in his neck of Iowa.
    We have built lifelong friendships from this Polk brand you are bringing to the masses.
    @DSkip @voltz @marvda1 @dkfreebird @treitz3 @AsSiMiLaTeD @deronb1 @indyhawg @oldrocker @VR3 @txcoastal1......the list goes on.
    We have built an extended family around your product.
    That's why we get a little testy when things get heated.
    Carry on with your task at hand, but don't homologise it to the point where it becomes.......pointless to be here.
    I am Russ.....10+ years Polk family member.
    And keep an eye on your shrubs. ;)
    I like the message here, Russ, but I don't like a single person on this list.

They don't like you either, Scott. Hampton Roads in September. I will give you a long list of these people.......then you can cry about no one hitting the coveted "like!" icon for any of your posts.

Reported for demeaning my self esteem :'(
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,758
    tratliff wrote: »
    Why can't we all just get back to the subject which brings us here???

Seems like in the last few weeks we have all decided to complain about items that are not in our control and not focus on helping, understanding, learning and general discussions about audio/HT products.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.....

I agree, the rules are few here, I think we can all follow them. It's not rocket science folks just get along and be good to each other...now as far as I'm concerned...I'm about to get into my truck and let 580 watts RMS fly. :)
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    vmaxer wrote: »

Several dozen......

Have a mod look and show us several dozen that post here... or better yet just visit.

Amen.

And @K_M do you REALLY expect Ken to give us a number of the people who have complained?
    First, it would go against his pledge to hear both sides before making any judgement. And second, I watch the members and guest numbers as much if not more than the moderation here and you are confused if you think over 100% of the active members and visiting guests have complained about "us".

Everyone participating in this thread knows who the squeaky wheels are. Including the moderation. But for some reason, the moderation is choosing to ignore or accept the passive-aggressive sniping that you and yours constantly resort to. Sorry but I have never been one to pull any punches. I call em how I see em. Even called BS out on @F1nut a time or twelve on things like Emotiva. But if you notice, he and I can agree to disagree without me trying to prove to him why my perception is better than his...again, unlike you and yours.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    edited June 15
    vmaxer wrote: »

Several dozen......

Amen.

And @K_M do you REALLY expect Ken to give us a number of the people who have complained?
    First, it would go against his pledge to hear both sides before making any judgement. And second, I watch the members and guest numbers as much if not more than the moderation here and you are confused if you think over 100% of the active members and visiting guests have complained about "us".

Everyone participating in this thread knows who the squeaky wheels are. Including the moderation. But for some reason, the moderation is choosing to ignore or accept the passive-aggressive sniping that you and yours constantly resort to. Sorry but I have never been one to pull any punches. I call em how I see em. Even called BS out on @F1nut a time or twelve on things like Emotiva. But if you notice, he and I can agree to disagree without me trying to prove to him why my perception is better than his...again, unlike you and yours.

There are no sides.
    We are all guests on Polk's forum.

I do not expect Ken to do anything but enforce the forum rules.

Perhaps if we all behave and act politely, you will see this imaginary "Us" and "Them" you make mention of, is the root of most of the forums problems.

All views and people are welcome. The thing of trying to drive new people off, calling them trolls, or trying to bash them or gang up on them, was hurting the forum, and creating the atmosphere where hardly anyone new was staying.

I am all for getting along with everyone.
    Perhaps you need to try a bit harder.

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

Really? Because you make it a point to try and discount any experience that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

You say that someone hearing a difference in cables is expectation bias...not that they simply have a different experience than yours.

You say you can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file...and insinuate that if anyone else *CLAIMS* they can, they are experiencing expectation bias.

You can't seem to grasp that everyone's experiences that differ from YOURS are equally valid and THAT is why you see people having a problem with you.

The difference between *us* and *you* is we don't discount someone's experiences the way you and yours do. Instead, we share our own experiences and leave it there. You are the ones insisting that we are wrong because our experiences differ from what you seem to think is your own infallible sense of hearing.

And then you resort to trying to convince people how wrong they are by spamming them with IMs until they have to threaten you with reporting to moderation.

How about you try approaching it this way...when someone posts up something that doesn't agree with your line of thinking, before replying, say to yourself, "Self, Am I going to tell this person that they don't really hear a difference but only expectation bias?" If the answer is yes, then you have just proven me and everyone else who feels the same way right.
    Same goes for your propensity to blather on about ABX testing when again, there are other methods of testing just as valid that you tend to discount out of hand because you personally don't agree with them.

• mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,211
    I still say he needs a mansiere. And a girdle might come in handy, too.

DISCLAIMER: Previous statement made on a non-professional assessment that that is a man. Not trying to assign an unwanted gender identity with unsolicited advice.

One of the "problems" with the respect issue is that it can be difficult to attempt to give respect when none is shown in return. Ryan mentioned the issue of "expectation bias" that some folks throw out quite a bit. One of the long time WELL respected members had posted on a new piece of gear. He, as usual, documented and recorded his findings as he tried out numerous pieces from different vendors. The gear that sounded better in his system was documented to show these results. He expressed that he was a bit surprised that this particular piece sounded the best, that he had "expected" several other units to perform better.
    He had a reasonable "expectation" that XYZ gear would give the best results. It didn't.
    But he didn't "adjust" his real word findings with his expectations, because that's what he does and that's who he is.

This gentleman has been insulted (and I don't use that term mistakenly) by accusations of "expectation bias" by somel folks who's only "proof" is that they wouldn't be able to hear a difference.
    Their passive-agressive cries of "Well, I never said he was a liar !" or other lame protestations when confronted should be given the attention they deserve: none.

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
    edited June 15
    Really? Because you make it a point to try and discount any experience that doesn't agree with your preconceived notions.

You say that someone hearing a difference in cables is expectation bias...not that they simply have a different experience than yours.

You say you can't tell the difference between a 320kbps MP3 and a FLAC file...and insinuate that if anyone else *CLAIMS* they can, they are experiencing expectation bias.

You can't seem to grasp that everyone's experiences that differ from YOURS are equally valid and THAT is why you see people having a problem with you.

The difference between *us* and *you* is we don't discount someone's experiences the way you and yours do. Instead, we share our own experiences and leave it there. You are the ones insisting that we are wrong because our experiences differ from what you seem to think is your own infallible sense of hearing.

And then you resort to trying to convince people how wrong they are by spamming them with IMs until they have to threaten you with reporting to moderation.

How about you try approaching it this way...when someone posts up something that doesn't agree with your line of thinking, before replying, say to yourself, "Self, Am I going to tell this person that they don't really hear a difference but only expectation bias?" If the answer is yes, then you have just proven me and everyone else who feels the same way right.
    Same goes for your propensity to blather on about ABX testing when again, there are other methods of testing just as valid that you tend to discount out of hand because you personally don't agree with them.

You seem to be extrapolating many ideas and comments from several older somewhat heated discussions/posts.
    I will do my utmost to be respectful and consider all your views seriously.
    I truly hope you are able to also.

Let's not dwell in the past. I truly hope we can all get along

Above all else, we all need to be polite and respectful to each other.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

edited June 15
    @mrbigbluelight

Disagreeing with someone is not a personal attack or insult, nor does it show lack of repect. It is quite common on audio forums, and in fact is usually the norm.

Seeking agreement/confirmation, and not getting it, is not just cause for attacking someone or insulting them either.

If we all follow forum rules, and quit taking disagreement Emotionally and as an insult, I bet things will be just fine!

Cheer up and smile!
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!