My Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-ray Player Repair

2»

Comments

• DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,108
    The plot thickens.....

This is the response I received to my question asking about specs on the original BDR-L04H-XA drive and the replacement BDR-L04SH drive:

BDP-09FD%20Drive%20Version%20Inquiry%20Resp%20001_zpsjvcjfhtc.jpg

Hmmmm...Pioneer's parts department has no record of part number BDR-L04SH. There are three global region codes for blu-ray discs, therefore I am assuming that the drive for each region was the same, but with a different part number. Hence Pioneer's U.S. parts department having no record of the BDR-L04SH part.

Internally and externally, the BDR-L04H-XA and BDR-L04SH look identical, and of course they both function the same since I was able to take the drive circuit board out of the BDR-L04H-XA and put it into the BDR-L04SH. The only physical difference between the two was that the BDR-L04H-XA weighed 2.1 pounds and the BDR-L04SH weighed exactly 2 pounds.

While doing my repair, I was curious about what would happen if I replaced the drive without switching the internal drive circuit board. The results were as follows:

1. All my commercially produced blu-rays, which are Blu-ray region A/1 discs, played fine.
    2. All my recordable single layer and dual layer BD-R discs played fine.
    3. All my region-free DVD discs played fine.
    4. None of my commercially produced DVDs, which are all DVD region 1 discs, played.

The reason why blu-rays worked and DVDs didn't is due to the fact that region coding for blu-rays is coded into the player's firmware. Region coding for DVDs is coded into the drive's firmware.

I have found yet another drive for the BDP-09FD, the BDR-L04XA. There is one on eBay right now for $240 (total delivered price). I also found this drive at Yoycart.com at a price of $191.65 (total delivered price $224.07). A vendor on Alibaba.com offered this drive at $196.50 (total delivered price). In contrast, the BDR-L04SH drive cost $66. I have attached copies of the eBay ad and the item page from Yoycart for the recently discovered BDR-L04XA drive.

Pioneer's Michigan service center refused to quote a price for the BDR-L04H-XA drive. I assume this policy is in place to prevent comparison shopping of repair services. However, I was successful in finding an authorized service center that quoted their charges for this repair:

BDP-09FD%20Repair%20Quote%206-16-17-s_zpso8a7huso.jpg

Round trip shipping costs of $100 would have to be added to the estimate above.

I asked this service center if I could just buy the part and this was the reply:

BDP-09FD%20Repair%20Advice%2001%206-16-17-s_zpsj4lhpiik.jpg

I told the service center that I didn't mind assuming the risk for the repair. My only concern was that the part would be new. This was the reply:

BDP-09FD%20Repair%20Advice%2002%206-16-17-s_zpsscuhniyl.jpg

I prefer replacing original parts with the same part, but I decided not to take a chance on Pioneer sending me one of the new old stock 2008 drives with the bad laser assemblies.

Yoycart is showing that they have 213 of the BDR-L04XA drives available. I decided to take one for the team and order one from the Alibaba.com vendor. I am curious to see if there is any performance difference. The vendor says the BDR-L04XA is new old stock manufactured in 2014.

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Posts: 1,596
    That's some good info there DarqueKnight.

One of the things I am wondering about though is if the Chinese replacement drives also have the same issues with the laser assembly that the OEM units do?

I mean you probably won't be able to tell unless the one you bought eventually fails and that could be a few years from now if it ever does.

I'm half-tempted to buy a replacement from Pioneer for $170.

Either choice seems to have some amount of uncertainty. It's a tough call.
    POLK AUDIO SRT
    (Signature Reference Theater)

2rqdrna.jpg s6k686.jpg 11rgneu.jpg
    SRT 10.2 SYSTEM
    (4) SRT Subs & Satellites
    (2) SRT Center Speakers
    (2) SRT Control Centers w/Remote
    (4) f/x1000 Surrounds
    (2) PSW650 Subs
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower
    edited June 17
    That's some good info there DarqueKnight.
    One of the things I am wondering about though is if the Chinese replacement drives also have the same issues with the laser assembly that the OEM units do?

My OEM drive was made in China, as were the other two replacement drives:

BDR-L04H-XA%20Label_zpsacvvt0or.jpg
    OEM drive.

BDR-L04SH%20Label_zpssukmjcet.jpg
    Replacement drive installed and tested by me and others.

BDR-L04XA%20Label_zpsyblf3yr7.jpg
    Recently found replacement drive under consideration.

I'm guessing that the numerical code "E99677" is the factory code for where the drives were manufactured.

As far as I have been able to determine, the bad drives were confined to some of the earliest ones manufactured in 2008. I don't know of a case of subsequent drive failure among any of the people who had their OEM BDR-L04H-XA drives replaced with a later run of that drive that was manufactured in 2009 or after. I don't know of a case of subsequent drive failure among any of the people who replaced their OEM BDR-L04H-XA with a BDR-L04SH drive. I don't know of any one who has replaced their OEM BDR-L04H-XA drive with a BDR-L04XA. There appears to be a batch of new L04XA drives. The service center I contacted said they couldn't guarantee that a replacement OEM L04H-XA drive from Pioneer would be new, rather than refurbished.

The back of my BDP-09FD says "Made In Japan", but it's probably more accurate to say it was assembled in Japan from components made in China and elsewhere. The power supply transformer was made in Malaysia.

Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK

I sent an email to Pioneer customer service asking them if there is another drive equivalent to, and interchangeable with, the original BDR-L04H-XA drive and the replacement BDR-L04SH.

I hope they don't get mad at me again. :|

They didn't get mad, but they weren't particularly helpful either:

Onkyo%20Reply%206-21-17%20Drive%20Versions-s_zpssuf8prml.jpg
    Figure 22. The last word from Pioneer/Onkyo customer service.

Information gathered from Chinese electronics vendors indicated that the BDR-L04XA was interchangeable with the BDP-09FD's original BDR-L04H-XA drive, and the replacement BDR-L04SH drive.

BDR-L04XA%20001%20Bag-s_zpsrjz2kjzi.jpg
    Figure 23. A new BDR-L04XA cost $196.50 delivered.

BDR-L04XA%20005%20Board-s_zpshxounjzg.jpg
    Figure 24. Uh oh...trouble in paradise. The BDR-L04XA uses a different controller board than the BDR-L04H-XA and the BDR-L04SH

A blu-ray/DVD player's drive is "locked" to a particular player by writing matching ID codes in the drive's and player's firmware. The DVD region code also has to be set in order for the drive to play region coded DVDs.

A Pioneer service remote (Pioneer part number GGF1067 is required to set the drive's DVD region code and player ID number. I found used and new GGF1067 remotes in the range of $127 to $167. I also found a new equivalent replacement service remote, an Anderic RMC-12010, for $32 delivered. I bought the Anderic service remote and set the BDR-L04XA's DVD region code per the instructions in the service manual. A CD called an "ID disc" (Pioneer part number GGV1334, ID Disc Type 2 Ver 1.1) is used to write ID codes to/from a new drive and to set the player's MAC address. Pioneer no longer sells the GGV1334 ID disc and I was not able to locate one at any parts vendor. However, this wasn't a show stopper since I did not need the disk to set the drive's DVD region. The MAC address was set when the player was manufactured, therefore I didn't need to redo that.

GGF1067%20Service%20Remote%20001-sc_zpsucllxz1g.jpg
    Figure 25. Pioneer service remote GGF1067.

BDP09FD%20Rep%20Svc%20Remote-s_zpszrjattye.jpg
    Figure 26. Replacement service remote for GGF1067, the Anderic RMC-12010.

BDP09FD%20Virgin%20ROM2-s_zpsbm5f2fox.jpg
    Figure 27. In the service menu: The region codes are "Virgin ROMA" since it was a new drive whose DVD region had not been set. The "A" at the end means the blu-ray region was already set to region A in the player's firmware.

The drive's name is shown as "BDV-201X", rather than "BDR-L04XA" because these drives begin life as computer drives, and are adapted for use in BR/DVD/CD players.

BDP09FD-Region1A-Set-s_zpsvmtbc572.jpg
    Figure 28. Main service information screen after DVD region 1 had been set.

Notice the "NG" codes after the "drive" and "drive version" entries. This means that the ID information read from the drive was "no good", it did not match the codes already in the player's firmware. Otherwise there would be an "OK" instead of "NG".

BDP09FD-Versions001-s_zpsqvndn2vo.jpg
    Figure 29. There are two screens that list all the model variations of the player.

BDP09FD-Versions002-s_zpssld6jduo.jpg
    Figure 30. Second model list screen.

There are sixteen versions of the BDP-09FD: two versions for 110V-120V countries with model numbers BDP-09FD/XX (North America) and BDP-09FDA/XX (all other 110V-120V) and 14 versions with model numbers BDP-LX91/XX/**** or BDP-LX91A/XX/**** for 220V-240V countries. Setting the model number sets language and other performance features unique to a particular country.

Conclusion

I'm pleased that I was able to find some repair alternatives for my BDP-09FD blu-ray player. It's old, but, to my knowledge, there isn't anything on the market with its build quality and sound quality. This should hold me until I transition to server-based video entertainment. :)
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Posts: 1,596
    So it sounds like you can't just swap the controller board and be good to go? Do you actually need to set it all up with these service remotes or was this only when using the controller board that came with the drive?
    POLK AUDIO SRT
    (Signature Reference Theater)

2rqdrna.jpg s6k686.jpg 11rgneu.jpg
    SRT 10.2 SYSTEM
    (4) SRT Subs & Satellites
    (2) SRT Center Speakers
    (2) SRT Control Centers w/Remote
    (4) f/x1000 Surrounds
    (2) PSW650 Subs
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower
    For the BDR-L04SH, all you need to do is take the controller board out of the original BDR-L04H-XA drive and put it in the BDR-L04SH. Both drives are electrically and mechanically identical, both drives use the same type controller board.

For the BDR-L04XA, you need to set it up with the service remote since it is a completely different drive mechanically and electrically. The L04XA uses a completely different controller board.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 1,948
    On second thought, if and when I experience problems with my bdp-09, I'll just pony up the plastic and have a pro handle the repair. That, or as previously suggested, simply use it as a boat anchor.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    The BDP-09FD's successor, the BDP-88FD (2014), allows access to service mode and changing of region codes via the regular remote. Changing the drive is much simpler due to the 88FD's significantly less complex internal configuration. I was interested in tracking down an 88FD until I read its service manual and realized the 88FD is essentially a cost reduced version of the 09FD, with 4K upscaling and balanced outputs added.
    la2vegas wrote: »
    On second thought, if and when I experience problems with my bdp-09, I'll just pony up the plastic and have a pro handle the repair. .

If I didn't have any technical knowledge and skill, I would have sent my 09FD in for repair. However, the "pros" have not always provided the best repair experience. I have read several reports of the second drive failing after it was replaced at a service center...like what happened to this fellow:

BDP-09FD%20Repaired%20Twice%20-%20LaoChe%20AVS%20Forum%209-19-14-s_zpsensiyyzu.jpg

009%20Laoche%20Drive%20Failed%20After%201st%20Repair-s_zpsckputlvc.jpg

This 09FD owner did without the player's BR capability for two years until he found out about the alternate replacement drive solution:

BDP-09FD%20Drive%20Replacement%20002%20AVS%20Forum-s_zpsz9udja78.jpg

A service center could not guarantee that I would get a new replacement part:

BDP-09FD%20Repair%20Advice%2002%206-16-17-s_zpsscuhniyl.jpg
    You sir @DarqueKnight are very capable when it comes to diagnosing and repairing these electronic gizmos that bring joy and entertainment to our lives. I, on the other hand am not. Regrettably for this reason my choices would be rather limited.

It's a shame that more support is not offered for these top shelf, although ageing, players. I guess that Pioneer would be content selling a newer model just the same.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, RTA 11T X2, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 3,987
    You sir @DarqueKnight are very capable when it comes to diagnosing and repairing these electronic gizmos that bring joy and entertainment to our lives. I, on the other hand am not. Regrettably for this reason my choices would be rather limited.

It's a shame that more support is not offered for these top shelf, although ageing, players. I guess that Pioneer would be content selling a newer model just the same.

Agreed, I have an Oppo BDP 83 I bought then sent it to them for the SE upgrade. It started giving the unknown disc error. I called and the offered a return number and would repair and ship back for $99.00.

Thought that was great, although I haven't sent it in yet. I still may.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,472
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^^But I think you underestimate yourself on the repair

1st- we have some very competent gentlemen/women here to help
    2nd-there are other sources with as like people

Rich, Raife, Fred, Jesse, Brock, Tony, Larry etc, the list goes on and many others have always been very supportive

That list excludes many of the IT type guys who are also very useful/supportive

Just a thread or PM away....

Electricians, plumbers, HVAC, legal, realty, shipping, wood, network....etc

Gotta love forum support

I got a bucket of leftover screws, bolts etc that I can't account for. Let me know if I can help...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t

Rich, Raife, Fred, Jesse, Brock, Tony, Larry, Hardy etc, the list goes on and many others have always been very supportive

Gotta love forum support

What, no divorce legal eagles?
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,155

Rich, Raife, Fred, Jesse, Brock, Tony, Larry, Hardy etc, the list goes on and many others have always been very supportive

Gotta love forum support

What, no divorce legal eagles?

Start a thread...also been plenty here that have been there done that, would take those to PM :* >:) B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,042

Rich, Raife, Fred, Jesse, Brock, Tony, Larry etc, the list goes on and many others have always been very supportive

Gotta love forum support

I got a bucket of leftover screws, bolts etc that I can't account for. Let me know if I can help...

They go to that block on your shoulders. :p
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,768

Gotta love forum support

Hey, let's not leave out auto repair...my forte! :smiley:
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    nbrowser wrote: »

Gotta love forum support

You also do 'puters...glory boy :) B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    edited June 27
    nbrowser wrote: »

Gotta love forum support

Where were you when my Expedition broke a spark plug?

EWWW...my F-150 did that, never did anything crazy in that truck, pulled out of a parking lot, poof...spark plug, block threads and all popped out of the block :'( :'( :'(

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,531

EWWW...my F-150 did that, never did anything crazy in that truck, pulled out of a parking lot, poof...spark plug, block threads and all popped out of the block :'( :'( :'(

On some that was know issue because some mechanics were afraid to tighten down because of aluminum heads. They would work loose and boom. Others had two piece plugs that woukd shear off and break when changing plugs.
    edited June 28
    This happened a few months ago as I was coming home with these. Good thing I was a couple of miles from home. I brought in a backyard mechanic that got my taken care of for about 150 bucks. 64npob256r1n.jpg
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,768
    edited June 28
    Yeah, the first generation Triton V8s were known to eject spark plugs right out. Ford noticed the issue and issued a TSB requiring the torque be raised from 11FtLbs. to 25 and there was also a spark plug revision. Also companies like Lisle came out with insert kits to save doing a complete head job. My engine is one of these early Triton V8s and I do crank the plugs down hard and to this day not one has removed itself from my engine.

Later Tritons with the extended tip plugs (usually 4.6L and 5.4L 3 valve engines) would break the end off in the chamber when changing plugs. Ford came out with a method to do it but we mechanics decided the overnight tune up wasn't an option and we devised our own game plan that required two technicians to accomplish the job on a searing hot engine, yes get it Hades hot and remove the plugs one mechanic per side and it usually worked but again Lisle has an extraction tool if need be.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Sounds like you know your stuff. I'll keep you in mind the next time I encounter a wtf moment. :)

Sounds like you know your stuff. I'll keep you in mind the next time I encounter a wtf moment. :)

Moral to the story, don't buy a ford... :* :* :p B)
    It's been trouble free otherwise. A guzzler with the 5.4 but that's expected.
2»