Hey, I got no cans!

I just realized I have no way to use my headphones in the dungeon now and that bites. Can yooz look at my sig and see what I can do? I would do it myself but my dinner jacket buckles in the back.

Comments

  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    Sorry, I am in full panic mode! I may have to watch and listen to "Friends" with my ol lady lol.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,264
    Set of Y RCA connectors between source and pre to a Schiit Audio Asgard 2 headphone amp. It'll rock your head off with up to 1 wpc of pure class A power.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    edited June 11
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Set of Y RCA connectors between source and pre to a Schiit Audio Asgard 2 headphone amp. It'll rock your head off with up to 1 wpc of pure class A power.

    Ooooohhh, that does sound tempting, however, I think I am gonna need a cheaper DAC/Headphone amp. Gat damn this is an expensive habit. I spent too much on my RCA wye, now how much is this Shiit gonna cost? I have my Emo wtf? headphone amp/dac and it does good for travel, like 70 bucks a good deal no? BTW I hate you guys. I am gonna buy Skips Nano on payments if it will work.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,264
    http://schiit.com/products/asgard-2

    $249 USD...not to terribly big...but will require a ton of ventilation as it does tend to run warm being class A and stuff. Sounds pretty damn good with my Sony MDR-1R headphones...clean clear and they can get plenty loud.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    @nbrowser, I hope I can do good with Skips iFi. I think I have to dump a dollar or two into a usb cable that should add up to weight loss. I dont wear the cans all that much but I am terrified to think that I would have to listen to my ol lady without that dumb smile lol
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,264
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Sorry, I am in full panic mode! I may have to watch and listen to "Friends" with my ol lady lol.

    Get rid of the "ol lady". :wink:
  • decaldecal Posts: 2,907
    Take your meds!!!!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,202
    decal wrote: »
    Take your meds!!!!

    ....or take more, depending. :)
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,901
    tonyb wrote: »
    decal wrote: »
    Take your meds!!!!

    ....or take more, depending. :)

    Not everyone needs knees the size of a watermelon.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    Hello, baby hello Haven't seen your face for a while Have you quit doing time for me Or are you still the same spoiled child Hello, I said hello Is this the only place you thought to go Am I the only man you ever had Or am I just the last surviving friend... that you know Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Hello, baby hello Open up your heart and let your feelings flow You're not unlucky knowing me Keeping the speed real slow In any case I set my own pace By stealing the show, say hello... hello Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Never leaving ThorazineThorazine
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,012
    edited June 13
    It's cheap and most likely temporary for your needs but I purchased the Bravo V2 12AU7 tube amp for $55 and I think it is absolutely killer paired with my Grados.

    It's only 55 bones, can't lose much.

    **Edit** I want to clarify it is tube pre and solid state power.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,012
    Opening thoughts and gear used

    Package received today, no damage bit a little but of glue on a capacitor in the back. I easily peeled it off but worth mentioning. I expected the tube to NOT be installed upon arrival but it was, I can only guess people breaking it not knowing what they are doing previously initiated this change.

    Overall she is pretty and better looking than I anticipated by the photos. The tube's label is simply "12AU7 CHINA" in red lettering.

    Turning it on for the first time started the blue (under tube) and red (behind tube) LEDs and I let it warm up for a good 10 minutes before I plugged my IPad Pro 3.5mm to RCA into the amp. Streamed via Spotify at "Extreme Quality 320kbps", headphones used were Grado SR80e via 1/4 in adapter.

    Sound

    Off the bat I know these Grados aren't the best and are a wee bit bass shy to some but not I. The open back design I feel gives a great sound stage at least beyond my experience with cans. The first song I started off with is one I have been listening to a lot lately:

    #1 Linda Ronstadt - Tracks of my tears

    This being the first song I didn't know what to expect and you know what I thought it sounded JUST like plugging into my Yamaha AV34, obviously some doubt crept in but hope was still there. The sound was nice but just nothing different with decent solid state sound just a tad Brighter than the aforementioned AV34 which I did not like.

    #2 Houndmouth - Otis

    This was the artist I wanted to specifically test with this tube pre. Starting the song off was still a bit sterile but about half way through more warmth was introduced and the highs tamed a little, bass was nice and controlled but not heavy. The soundstage started to open up more and I heard ambient noise that I couldn't hear though my SDAs. Starting to get impressed.

    A couple songs later...

    #6 Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs (Early Take)

    This is where I started to float away with the beautiful atmospheric guitar and Stevie's raw voice tearing through the middle. At this point it was when I thought I made a wise investment. The highs were there but never too fatuiging although could be more detailed, mids were silky smooth and seldom too forward. The bass is hard to judge as it is also the headphones I was using that contributed to the lack of bass but it was still present just not pronounced when sometimes it needed to be. No tone controls either. :(


    Overall First Impressions

    I feel my money was very well spent on this amp and getting some new tubes in I believe can fix most of the SQ gripes I may have however few I listed. There was some crackling in the music from time to time which I figured was the tube breaking in so I didn't worry too much. If anyone is thinking about one of these simply as a nice little cheap amp I would say snatch it up. Just wat h out because this thing gets hot in very little time, mostly on the heat sinks as the tube's top stays cool to moderately warm.

    Like I said she is purty though...

    3h8lzio14cow.jpg
  • TCKTCK Posts: 221
    ...That's what she said
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,370
    edited June 13
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Hello, baby hello Haven't seen your face for a while Have you quit doing time for me Or are you still the same spoiled child Hello, I said hello Is this the only place you thought to go Am I the only man you ever had Or am I just the last surviving friend... that you know Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Hello, baby hello Open up your heart and let your feelings flow You're not unlucky knowing me Keeping the speed real slow In any case I set my own pace By stealing the show, say hello... hello Thorazine and me We're pretty good company Looking for an island In our boat upon the sea Thorazine, gee I really love you And I want to love you forever And dream of the never, never, never leaving Thorazine Never leaving ThorazineThorazine

    LOL Bruce, you are a regular Bernie Taupin B)

    I recognized that line from a Elton John song off the LP "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Harmony ;)

    BTW a Very Good catchy song!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!