TODAY I STOLE ME A PIECE OF GEAR!

Comments

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,446
    F1nut wrote: »
    Throw the lemon oil away too, more junk.

Dangnabit.... Ok.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
    @F1nut

Which specific Guardsman polish? Seems there are quite a few......

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,531
    Dan, gorgeous piece of furniture you got there. I used to have an old tube console years ago, sounded extremely nice for what it was. Kinda looking for one myself. That said however though...nice bleeping score man, you stole it.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

Keiko wrote: »
    That's offensive and not audio related. I'm telling! :#
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,669
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,106
    That's a beautiful piece!!
    Coming Soon to a Table Near You!!!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 14,332
    I am digging the "channel balance verifier"! :)

The record changer -- is what it is. It is almost certainly a ceramic (piezoelectric) cartridge (there's a tiny chance it's got a magnetic cartridge, but I think it's unlikely).

I am not nearly as "down" on the console changers as are the vinylista of today (FWIW). With a good stylus and properly set up, it should be capable of playing a record without damage. I wouldn't play high-value vinyl on it, though :) Also, it is safe to assume that its rubber bits are probably hardened or otherwise showing their age. If nothing else, it may be noisy (rumbly) and/or exhibit wow, flutter and/or play a bit off-speed, or it may be too gunked up from age to work at all (platter and/or the changer functions).
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am digging the "channel balance verifier"! :)

The record changer -- is what it is. It is almost certainly a ceramic (piezoelectric) cartridge (there's a tiny chance it's got a magnetic cartridge, but I think it's unlikely).

I am not nearly as "down" on the console changers as are the vinylista of today (FWIW). With a good stylus and properly set up, it should be capable of playing a record without damage. I wouldn't play high-value vinyl on it, though :) Also, it is safe to assume that its rubber bits are probably hardened or otherwise showing their age. If nothing else, it may be noisy (rumbly) and/or exhibit wow, flutter and/or play a bit off-speed, or it may be too gunked up from age to work at all (platter and/or the changer functions).

Yeah, I am going to get a quote on what it would cost to go through and get the amp and tuner up to spec, and a totally different one on what it would cost to get the TT up to spec and working.

Thankfully I dont really have any high dollar LP's, just stuff from my childhood that my dad played (which I also have digitally). I would like to eventually get it up and running but TBH as long as the tuner works and everything plays thats about all that really matters.

I am also going to bring the amp up to spec on the chance if things go south with other parts or whatnot I can take it out of the console to work as a power amp. Same with the pre-amp, though it likely would be a larger challenge to convert to something that didnt look really bad.

• ManticoreManticore Posts: 133
    Nice score Dan. Don't forget to tape a nickle to the tonearm for LP playing. :#
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound HCA 1500A amplifier
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    Samsung BD J5100
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 20A2 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk SDA 1C's
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
    PS the one somewhat cool thing was that it was suspended on some sort of shock absorbent platform, an attempt to minimize scratches and whatnot from people walking by and whatnot.

Manticore wrote: »
    Nice score Dan. Don't forget to tape a nickle to the tonearm for LP playing. :#

WHUH? :confused:

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,355
    Very nice Dan, those old consoles sounded great. Of course the trouble today is, you can't exactly through them in your back seat to go get them worked on. If anything, it'll turn ya into a tube fanboy.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »
    Very nice Dan, those old consoles sounded great. Of course the trouble today is, you can't exactly through them in your back seat to go get them worked on. If anything, it'll turn ya into a tube fanboy.

Yeah there is that lol... thankfully my buddies shop is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road, so once I figure out what its gonna cost to get er up to spec, I will probably drive it down there to him.

• deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,750
    Wow! Beautiful piece Dan! Congrats!
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,557
    Cool find

I was a at sale few weeks back, they had 2 old consoles with tubes in decent shape, one was playing when I was there.

I almost bought one with the hopes of pulling the amps out to use for power.

I had no idea how one would go about pulling out the amps and making everything work, so I passed.

That thing looks to good to tear apart but If you end up doing that, take some notes for me on how you make everything work.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,355

Yeah there is that lol... thankfully my buddies shop is LITERALLY 5 minutes down the road, so once I figure out what its gonna cost to get er up to spec, I will probably drive it down there to him.

Cost is probably going to be more than your willing to spend. I'd probably just replace old caps and clean her up, especially the tube sockets. Bringing everything in that puppy up to spec can get deep in the pockets, concentrate on the amp part would be my advice. That's the heart and soul of those old consoles.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 5,790
    A stacker TT. Gotta love it. Sweet looking piece of furniture that.
    Cost is probably going to be more than your willing to spend. I'd probably just replace old caps and clean her up, especially the tube sockets. Bringing everything in that puppy up to spec can get deep in the pockets, concentrate on the amp part would be my advice. That's the heart and soul of those old consoles.

That's what I meant tony lol. Replace the caps that can/will go bad and make sure the tube amp and pre are working good, replace the bad FM bulb on the display and make sure all the speakers work.

Not a complete rebuild top to bottom.

edited June 12
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I was a at sale few weeks back, they had 2 old consoles with tubes in decent shape, one was playing when I was there.

I almost bought one with the hopes of pulling the amps out to use for power.

I had no idea how one would go about pulling out the amps and making everything work, so I passed

And you didn't call me.... I see how you are :wink:.

It's easy to pull the tube amps out.... then just send to bobby to convert it lol.... mainly it's making sure it's a stereo tube amp inside lol....

• oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,557
    I didn't know you was looking for something like that.

I've come across 4-5 in the last month or so. D'oh.... :s
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I didn't know you was looking for something like that.

I've come across 4-5 in the last month or so. D'oh.... :s

Yup, looking to steal out a tube amp out of a dog of a console lol.....

• Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,471
    Sweet piece. Hopefully you can keep it as original as feasible.
    Modest HT - Sony STRDA3700ES, RT1000p, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Yamaha YST-SW160, Belkin PF30, Sony BDP-S390.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS245 center, Furez 10/2, Roku 3
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 5,790
    ^
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Sweet piece. Hopefully you can keep it as original as feasible.

That I will do, as far as whats in WORKING condition... thats a different story :smile: :wink: .

For now I will stick with just getting all speakers working and the amp refreshed, along with anything else that could use some new caps or resistors so that the FM works.....

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,202
    I personally would refrain from using it until its refreshed.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,223
    DSkip wrote: »

Debbie downer....it's not your house.

My vote is to crank it to 11!
    Hybrid - Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball
  • TForanTForan Posts: 382

Good advice. Old leaky caps could take out an OT.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,202
    TForan wrote: »

Good advice. Old leaky caps could take out an OT.

Or start a fire. I have one in my garage and have purposely pulled the power amp out of it to ensure nobody tries to use it. The capacitors in them are all shot. The guy I bought it from tried to turn it on for me and I told him I didn't need to see it in action. I got it for $40 and was pleased, but now I don't have a place for it.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,656
    Nice pickup! After you have the turntable working, do NOT play good records on it. I called them vinyl killers!
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

edited June 12
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice pickup! After you have the turntable working, do NOT play good records on it. I called them vinyl killers!

I may just leave it as is TBH..... seems like the consensus is it's crap so why bother on that part at least lol.

• msgmsg Posts: 3,139
    erniejade wrote: »
    But it's a really cool looking record player!
    Who cares if it cuts a new groove as it plays.
    Life's too short to play it safe with valuable vinyl.
    Except for mine.