Ground lift, it is needed.

nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,274
Yep, need to do the good old ground lift on my main system, the SR5010 and Parasound to be precise. How do I know? Had cable TV installed a few weeks ago and in comes the hum, took care of some of it with a wire from a splitter to the plumbing but needed more. Grabbed a couple of decent computer power cords, snapped off the ground prongs and replaced my fancy spiffy nice AudioQuest power cords with the modified computer ones and hum gone. Now the issue is...the really nice power cords are out for now but I want them back in, can I use a half decent pair of ground cheater adapters with them and be ok SQ wise? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,399
    I had that issue too. Wanted better power cords but needed to get rid of the ground hum. I had Patrick @ Cullen Cable make me some Gold cords with the ground disconnect at the IEC end of the cable.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,212
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I had that issue too. Wanted better power cords but needed to get rid of the ground hum. I had Patrick @ Cullen Cable make me some Gold cords with the ground disconnect at the IEC end of the cable.

Good idea.

Ken, try the cheater plug with the AQ cables, cost ya 2 bucks to find out what you want to know.

• motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 1,797
    PS Audio AC3's have a removable ground pin. Very good cable to boot.
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,484
    Looks like the SR5010 has a 2 prong IEC ac inlet so there is no safety ground connection. Which model Parasound?
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    Did you try grounding the catv cable coming in to the house? or a noise filter on the cable itself?
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,484
    https://www.amazon.com/TII-220-Ground-Isolator-applications/dp/B0070Q6URO
    This type of decice should help,Jensen makes one as well.

• machonemachone Posts: 696
    ^^^^ THIS