Mid range drivers for RTA12s

Options
I just brought home a pair of RTA 12s from a private party on 24 hr approval . I'm not getting any midrange response from one speaker. I can't switch the midrange speakers from one to the other to rule out the crossover, since I don't own them at this point, but I'd like to know if those 5 1/2" drivers are for sale anywhere.
Thanks...Jay

Best Answer

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited June 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    They're 6.5" and you would need to pull one to see which MW number the driver is. I'd first suspect magnet slipped and locked up the voice coil. You can gently push in evenly around the center dust cap and see if it moves freely. If it don't shifted magnet, if you feel a lot of scratchyness as it moves still could be shifted magnet or could be it was way over driven at one point and toasted voice coil.
    Most of the drivers can still be bought used but some are more difficult to get ahold of.
    There are at least 3 different generations of those speakers all a little different and they used different drivers.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on

Answers

• Phastrone
    Phastrone Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, Pitdogg2...I'll contact the seller and make sure that he's OK with my pulling the drivers on that speaker...If not, I'll just return them. I think that these are original RTA 12s, since there's no designation on the crossover board and no left and right notation on the speakers anywhere...