Gravity Sucks...

scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
Decided I need to get back in shape after a long winter of being a slug. Started running (we'll sort of) again, and let me tell you... hauling my fat, 46-year old A$$ up a short, maybe 2-3% grade felt like I was summittting Everest (not that I know what that's like). Gravity SUCKS!

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    scubalab wrote: »
    Decided I need to get back in shape after a long winter of being a slug. Started running (we'll sort of) again, and let me tell you... hauling my fat, 46-year old A$$ up a short, maybe 2-3% grade felt like I was summittting Everest (not that I know what that's like). Gravity SUCKS!
    Age sucks more, but I get where you're coming from.
    Thank the good Lord I stopped smoking when I did, almost 14 years ago to the day.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Don't try running in Denver ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Age sucks more

I'm with you, I think old age is gods way of getting back at us for all the really dumb things we did when we were "Young, Dumb & Full of whatever :wink: ".
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • scubalab
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Come up here...run up the Coquiahalla Highway up Snowshed Hill aka The Smasher on the downhill...it'll wind anyone easily!

Oh he11 no!
    Nightfall wrote: »

Tried it once (much younger) - someone needs to introduce Denver to oxygen!
  • Nightfall

It even makes your naturally aspirated vehicle slower, significantly.

• scubalab
    ^^^ Noticed that too!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Go electric...ask Sal >:)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • scubalab
    ^^^ Oh no you di-int!
  • scubalab
    edited June 2017
    No... but I Googled the highway...

vuy79uxuj7cd.png
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Give resistance bands a try. 30 minutes in the morning and you're ready to go!

5vlgfcwbq3sl.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Start out on the PSU track. If they decide to open it to the public again.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892

I did the Eisenhower tunnel in 1979 in a 69 Rambler American. It was like 15mph up and maybe 20 mph downhill.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1

I did the Eisenhower tunnel in 1979 in a 69 Rambler American. It was like 15mph up and maybe 20 mph downhill.

I guess it wasn't the SC :D:D:D
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Not even a Scrambler would run at this altitude. Those SC's were hot though.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    I can go up I70 at 75-80mph in my 95hp (which is probably more like 65-70hp up here after drivetrain loss) but it's foot to the floor at 4K RPM and if anyone gets in the way and slows me down it's all over and I have to move into the slow lane until the next flat section. :D

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    So what you're saying is they're no street outlaws out there :p
  • txcoastal1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

If you get the right turbo charger :)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I bet some might have a little lag... B)
  • Nightfall
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I bet some might have a little lag... B)

Two turbos. A small one that spools quickly for low RPM and a big one for the big power.

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302

I ran cross-country in HS, and transferred to a new school in my junior year. The first time we worked out in our "home" course, it was in a ski area. I asked where the course started, and my teammates all pointed to the main slope. "Up the main slope." I laughed and asked again, seriously. No one laughed back.

It was a course that really intimidated anyone running it for the first time. But you can get used to almost anything, with practice.

Suggest you watch a few Rocky clips, and keep running. :)
  • scubalab
    Kurt - Funny... I too ran cross country in high school. Our 'course' was through and around Nay Aug Park in Scranton, PA. At about the 2 mile mark, there was a quarter mile flat stretch followed by about a 1/8-mile hill that I'm guessing was about a 10% grade and probably 50-75 elevation gain. It sucked... but you are right, you do get used to it. I also remember how exaggerating swinging your arms helped 'lift' you up the grade. I remember we used to practice and would run sprints along the 1/4 mile flat stretch (trying to hit the minute mark). At the end, we'd run the hill after the last sprint. It sucked.

However, 30 years later, and many pounds heavier, the slightest grades feel like climbing a cliff!

In high school, I was never very fast... used to run the 3.2 mile course in around 25 minutes. Now, I'm lucky to break a 10 minute mile when I'm in top shape. Just starting again, I'm around (don't laugh) a 15 minute mile! I'm just happy to get my heart rate up for 40-50 minutes a day again. Feeling better already!
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Scuba, I'm 11 years older than you, and would love to still even be able to run. No intent to provide a litany of medical issues here, though. :) I now bike - a lot less than I used to. Hills still are tough (going up) and great (going down). And music feeds the fire.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Kurt - Funny... I too ran cross country in high school. Our 'course' was through and around Nay Aug Park in Scranton, PA. At about the 2 mile mark, there was a quarter mile flat stretch followed by about a 1/8-mile hill that I'm guessing was about a 10% grade and probably 50-75 elevation gain. It sucked... but you are right, you do get used to it. I also remember how exaggerating swinging your arms helped 'lift' you up the grade. I remember we used to practice and would run sprints along the 1/4 mile flat stretch (trying to hit the minute mark). At the end, we'd run the hill after the last sprint. It sucked.

However, 30 years later, and many pounds heavier, the slightest grades feel like climbing a cliff!

In high school, I was never very fast... used to run the 3.2 mile course in around 25 minutes. Now, I'm lucky to break a 10 minute mile when I'm in top shape. Just starting again, I'm around (don't laugh) a 15 minute mile! I'm just happy to get my heart rate up for 40-50 minutes a day again. Feeling better already!
    Al, fantastic! Doesn't take too long to start feeling the benefits, eh? For as much as I get from exercise, as much as I enjoy it, I still struggle frequently with motivation even after I'm in the groove. "It hurts! It's uncomfortable! I don't wanna!" But I find that it just takes switching off the brain, putting on the shoes and just "starting" and then 2-3 minutes in, I'm back in the swing and feeling awake, alert, and smacking myself for being such a little B about it. Why it's such a chore getting started every time when the benefits are so obvious, I don't know.

The Four Pillars - Sleep, Diet, Exercise, and the ever elusive Discipline :) All connected, each automatically, directly affecting the other. Drop out of one, the other three suffer. It's a trick to maintain momentum, but easier after getting over that sometimes seemingly insurmountable obstacle of just starting after a long break, whatever the reason.

I don't have the same amount of free time I had when I was younger and had ten years of relatively consistent exercise, but that excuse wasn't cutting it for how the lack of regular, consistent exercise was affecting me - energy level, mood, aches, etc. I had to look at it from a different angle. Whereas before it was, "If I don't have 1-2 hours to do it... bah." Now it's "Anything is better than nothing." and "Doing something today is better than doing nothing again like yesterday." Exercise seems to be the keystone for the other three pillars. Makes me crave better food, makes me sleep better, makes me more dis... well. Nevermind that one. That one's always gonna be a bastage B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Very well said Scott, and SO true. The four pillars you reference had all but crumbled in my life and I was feeling like cr@p. Honestly, there was probably only one even remotely remaining (sleep), and it was shaky at best.

It is amazing how once you take that first step everything else (well almost everything) seems to come together. You're absolutely correct, exercising has an effect on the way I eat (I'm less hungry, and less prone to eating bad foods), and believe it or not, on my discipline. It's just getting started that's the hurdle, once I start, I usually stick with it. I've done Insanity 3 or 4 times through in the past 6 years. The last time I did it start to finish (almost EXACTLY 3 years ago), I never missed one workout, and was in the best shape of my life (and I was a swimmer & runner in high school). It is amazing though, how much more difficult things are being just 3 years older... :(

I wanted to do Insanity again, but haven't been able to find the DVDs (plus, I don't think my joints could take those workouts just yet). So, I figured I need to get in a little better shape for my and my younger daughter's upcoming trip to the Bahamas in two weeks. We plan to do a LOT of snorkeling with her when we're there, and I don't want her to have to drag me out of the water!

Thanks for the additional motivation. These are words to live by:
    msg wrote: »
    "Anything is better than nothing." and "Doing something today is better than doing nothing again like yesterday."