Musical Fidelity A308 vs...

jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 194
There's an MF A308 for sale close to me. How would it compare to my current main rig of a Peachtree Audio novaPre hybrid and McCormack DNA-125? Primary speakers are SDA-2B and Infinity RSIIIa (I swap these two pair in-and-out). TIA for any input!

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,803
    edited June 3
    one my favs that 308 and a more classic MF sound. Your PT and McCormack though should be as warm as the 308, but I would feel the McCormack has better bass while the 308 might give your presentation a bit bigger soundstage. 308 has that classic British sound to it, if you know that sound.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • jdjohnjdjohn Posts: 194
    Thanks for the feedback, Tony. While I've got your attention, how about compared to a C.E.C. Classic Tube 53???
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,900
    The A308 is very lush and musically engaging. I loved mine. I haven't heard any of the gear you are comparing it to, but I really don't think you would be disappointed putting it up against most other similarly priced gear, and a lot of that above it.
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Sony PS-LX410/Grado Green Cartridge
    Phono Stage - Parks Audio Budgie
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    The A308 is very lush and musically engaging. I loved mine. I haven't heard any of the gear you are comparing it to, but I really don't think you would be disappointed putting it up against most other similarly priced gear, and a lot of that above it.
    Good info, thanks very much. Btw, I tried a Dared SL-2000A in my system, but there was a grounding/hum issue that couldn't be resolved. I liked it otherwise.
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,900
    The Dared/Krell combination doesn't better the A308, but helps the speakers I have achieve closer to the more detailed forward sound I was looking for.
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Sony PS-LX410/Grado Green Cartridge
    Phono Stage - Parks Audio Budgie
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)
    Sometimes it's all about synergy.
    jdjohn wrote: »
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    The Dared/Krell combination doesn't better the A308, but helps the speakers I have achieve closer to the more detailed forward sound I was looking for.
    Sometimes it's all about synergy.

Yep....and no experience with the other piece you mentioned so I can't comment on that comparison.

Grab it and do your own evaluations. The 308's are still a hot commodity so you should have no problem re-selling if it doesn't float your boat.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,681
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Good info, thanks very much. Btw, I tried a Dared SL-2000A in my system, but there was a grounding/hum issue that couldn't be resolved. I liked it otherwise.

I had the problem with my Dared Sl2000 (not Paul's but my 2nd Dared) and it was only a tube problem...some tubes we too micro-phony and others had a hum.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    My decision became a lot easier...the listing is gone now.
  • BlueBirdMusicBlueBirdMusic Registered User Posts: 255
    jdjohn,
    If you are talking about the listing in Nashville, he sold that A-308 on Audiogon two weeks ago. He listed it one day and sold it the next. I was planning to contact him and it was sold. I noticed he left the CL ad up after it was sold.

I am in Marietta GA and was interested in it.
    Harry
    Yep, that was the one. It was a good price for that unit, so not surprising it sold so quickly on Audiogon. Thanks for letting me know.
    Yep, that was the one. It was a good price for that unit, so not surprising it sold so quickly on Audiogon. Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, like I said, they are still hot commodities. Built like a tank from the day MF built everything like that. Jump on one next time you see it for a good price, I highly doubt you'd be disappointed.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • MillerLiteScottMillerLiteScott Posts: 2,567
    I have been running a MF A308 MIT Shotgun S3 SDA 2B combination for about 10 years now. There seems to be great synergy with these components in my opinion.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
    I have been running a MF A308 MIT Shotgun S3 SDA 2B combination for about 10 years now. There seems to be great synergy with these components in my opinion.

Eh...synergy is over rated. :p Sell the man yours and shake things up for yourself. You might find a Tri vista or A1008 up your alley.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,287
    There's no doubt that Musical Fidelity gear, Polk SDA speakers and MIT cables are proven to be an excellent match.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

tonyb wrote: »
    Eh...synergy is over rated. :p Sell the man yours and shake things up for yourself. You might find a Tri vista or A1008 up your alley.
    Then I'd have to buy a DAC! My PT has a DAC built in...and a tube. Sorry Tony...the moment has passed :(